Suns Thought They Had Amar'e For Steph Deal Done During 2009 NBA Draft

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Suns Thought They Had Amar'e For Steph Deal Done During 2009 NBA Draft 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Mar 2, 2016 4:35 pm

The Phoenix Suns believed they had a deal with the Golden State Warriors on the night of the 2009 NBA Draft involving Amar'e Stoudemire for the No. 7 pick.

The Suns' draft room exploded when the Minnesota Timberwolves drafted Ricky Rubio and Jonny Flynn, which left Stephen Curry available.

But the Warriors nixed the trade once Curry fell to that spot.

“We told Minnesota that Steph didn’t want to go there,” said Dell Curry. “We had no idea that they had agreed to a trade. Obviously, they couldn’t put that out. I remember (then-Suns general manager) Steve Kerr calling me (the following morning) and saying, ‘Don’t go to the press conference. We have a trade that they reneged on.’ I’m like, ‘That’s between you guys. We’re going wherever they tell us. We can’t not go.’"

The Suns thought they could draft Jordan Hill at No. 7 if Curry didn't fall.

The Suns proceeded with their next pick at No. 14 believing they had Curry, drafting Earl Clark instead of Jrue Holiday.

Via Paul Coro/Arizona Republic

binjumper
Starter
And1: 3,701

Re: Suns Thought They Had Amar'e For Steph Deal Done During 2009 NBA Draft 

Post#2 » by binjumper » Wed Mar 2, 2016 5:27 pm

Thanks god the Suns is not a place managed well.
Vorikan
Junior
And1: 77

Post#3 » by Vorikan » Wed Mar 2, 2016 6:16 pm

At the time it would be a questionable deal, trading all-star PF for a rookie. And they also had Nash as a point guard.
malgus
Rookie
And1: 116

Post#4 » by malgus » Wed Mar 2, 2016 6:51 pm

They renegged but the results speak for themselves. I think they can survive the shame of it all by crying on their Larry O'Brien trophy.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,469

Post#5 » by Revived » Wed Mar 2, 2016 6:53 pm

Vorikan wrote:At the time it would be a questionable deal, trading all-star PF for a rookie. And they also had Nash as a point guard.

Imagine Curry learning from behind Nash. Curry would probably have been doing everything he's doing today and more like 3-4 years earlier.
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Post#6 » by jlokine » Wed Mar 2, 2016 9:11 pm

SF88 wrote:
Vorikan wrote:At the time it would be a questionable deal, trading all-star PF for a rookie. And they also had Nash as a point guard.

Imagine Curry learning from behind Nash. Curry would probably have been doing everything he's doing today and more like 3-4 years earlier.

curry could've been doing what he is doing today 3-4 years earlier if not for his ankle injuries. i dont think nash would've speed up his development. behind a healthy nash, it may have slowed it down.. but no point playing hindsight now...
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,469

Post#7 » by Revived » Wed Mar 2, 2016 10:03 pm

jlokine wrote:
SF88 wrote:

curry could've been doing what he is doing today 3-4 years earlier if not for his ankle injuries. i dont think nash would've speed up his development. behind a healthy Nash it may have slowed it down.. but no point playing hindsight now...

Even if that is the case, the Suns have the best training staff in the NBA so they could have helped him with that.
DJ3thenew23
Pro Prospect
And1: 80

Post#8 » by DJ3thenew23 » Wed Mar 2, 2016 10:16 pm

Steph should get just as much hate as Kobe if he said he didn't want to go to Minny, just like how Kobe said he only wanted to be in LA
zeebo wrote:Is winning championships really that important?

olive_triangurl wrote:If i had to meet LeBron i'd go straight to the hypnotist to get my conscious memory wiped afterward (sadly it'd still be in my subconscious memory, as everything is, even past lives).

Return to Wiretap Discussion