NBA Continues To Prefer Two Years Of College Before Draft Eligibility

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

NBA Continues To Prefer Two Years Of College Before Draft Eligibility 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:46 pm

Adam Silver was asked on Tuesday where he currently stands on the rule that American-born high school players must go to college for at least one year before becoming eligible for the NBA Draft.

"I’m a big fan of college basketball," said Silver. "I’ve been watching the tournament. It’s been incredibly exciting. I’d say from the league’s standpoint, our stance remains the same. We’d rather these young men spend two years out of high school rather than one, which is our current rule, before entering the NBA.

"Having said that, I recognize it’s an incredibly complicated issue, and there are all kinds of life factors for these players that they need to balance. I understand it, the right to earn a living as a professional, the league interest in their spending additional time away from their homes, the maturation of them as young men, the maturation of them as players. We try to balance all of that. So we’re currently at 19 as the minimum age. Again, I recognize that there are two sides to this issue. I’m very sympathetic to the players and their families in terms of they’re feeling they’re at the point in their lives at 18 that they should be able to come directly to the NBA.

"At the same time, I’m making a business decision for the NBA, which is to the betterment of the league and the roughly 430 jobs we have in this league. We feel that these players are better off having more time developing as players before they enter into this league.

"And I’ll add one other factor, which is the more we study the wear-and-tear on their bodies, we’re now seeing the type of injuries in young players that we used to see when they were much older. I think there needs to be more of a holistic response to this. It isn’t just about whether the minimum age should be 19 versus 20. I think, as I’ve said before, we need to get together with the larger basketball community and talk about the number of games these young players, boys, are playing, beginning 12, 13, 14, often eight games in a weekend at tournaments. For example, I’ve said before, in Little League, there’s a pitch count. And this is a place where historically at least when I got involved in the league, people were telling the NBA to stay out of youth basketball. I think it’s clear now we need to be more involved in youth basketball.

"The age issue is part of it, but I think back to the question about Kobe, it’s something that he’s been particularly focused on. The last two times we’ve met, it’s almost exclusively what he wanted to talk about as he was stepping away from the game, about his experience growing up as a player, largely outside of the United States, versus sort of how the system works now and how we can do a better job preparing these young men for the NBA."

Silver was also asked how big of a factor this rule will be in CBA negotiations with the players.

"Without getting into specifics, it’s something we continue to discuss. But as I said, and Jeanie Buss is on our Labor Relations Committee, it’s not as if we’re just adversaries on this issue. It’s a discussion with the players in the room about what’s the best way to develop players going forward in the league."

Via RealGM Staff Report

pootbrah
Bench Warmer
And1: 897

Re: NBA Continues To Prefer Two Years Of College Before Draft Eligibility 

Post#2 » by pootbrah » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:41 pm

what a joke imo. ncaa and adam silver schemin to increase revenue. the sooner you get young talent into the nba system the better it is going to be for the majority of young and talented enough players. this should be up to the teams scouts to decide and not some bs 2 years out of highschool rule. the college game is nothing like professional leagues and thus is limited in its ability to prepare a player for the nba.... adam silver needs to get that through his head
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,205

Post#3 » by tsherkin » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:28 pm

Of course the counterpoint to pootbrah's point is that older players have more development and are generally more ready to contribute earlier, and are less likely to sucker a team based on potential after they've had more of a chance to show themselves in college. Slightly less likely, anyhow.

Definitely room to look at both sides of that issue.
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#4 » by Rated T By CBRA » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:51 pm

Longer time in college DOES NOT equal to better prospects or showcase for teams. There are players who will flop after 3-4 years in college, and there are players who will flop after 1 year. If anyone has the resources/time it would be interesting to show how many 1st year college/high school players are still in the league or had longer careers compared to 2+ year college players.

Some of the best talent of our generation came straight from HS (Kobe, KG, Howard, LeBron, T-Mac).
CHAMPi0N
Bench Warmer
And1: 86

Post#5 » by CHAMPi0N » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:00 am

To counter a popular argument that players will benefit more from a longer time in college - these athletes also face the following issues by doing this:

1) longer time before you get your first pro pay check (in many cases there's external pressure on these young guys to get paid fast)
2) more time spent in college taking flier courses that ultimately don't matter if you're going pro after the second year (wasting their time, it's their choice if they want to go to college for an education or not)
3) let the NCAA benefit off your hard work and make money off you, and fine you for a bevy of silly reasons such as getting a paying job or accepting small "gifts" like a McDonald's sundae

Furthermore, a lot of people say that high school draft picks have a huge bust potential, and while that's true, there have been so many successful HS draft picks too... So you're kind of back to square one when you consider this as the basis of your argument. I want to see more young guys with that fire in their heart. They come in and shake up the whole game, like Kobe, Garnett and Lebron did. If you get a few busts, so be it. Teams still draft busts every year, regardless of their college careers.

In the end, money talks and this really looks like a way to appease the NCAA (force players to funnel through there and keep profits steady). I think they would lose at least 25% viewership if they don't have as many NBA draft prospects. That's the only reason I even moderately follow NCAA! Don't get me started on the game, it's not even close to the real NBA game. It doesn't even "prepare" guys as much as people make it out to.
Beam Me Up Foxy
Lead Assistant
And1: 655

Post#6 » by Beam Me Up Foxy » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:16 pm

How is his position any different from a law firm requiring a law degree to practice law? Or an accounting firm wanting a MAcc in order to worn there. These guys don't have to play in college. They now have the d league and Europe to go get a paycheck. This is a business protecting it's product. If a big four accounting firm wants you to have 2 years of work experience before hiring you no one bats an eye but some reason the NBA has to require eligibility for these players? It's Their business, their brand, they can do as they see fit in order to assure the best quality product on the floor. They're not denying anyone a paycheck there are avenues for that. They're asking for two years work or college experience before entering the league. That no different t than virtually any other professional job. Doctors have to get trained, lawyers to be educated, etc why do PROFESSIONAL athletes get to be an exemption to any kind of training or education?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Wally West
Starter
And1: 329

Post#7 » by Wally West » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:24 pm

Well I have to agree this might create a better NBA, there's not way the players go for this.
Want: Trae Young, Michael Porter Jr., DeAndre Ayton, Jaren Jackson Jr, Marvin Bagley III, Mohamad Bamba, Shai Gilgeous- Alexander, Elie Okobo, Jevon Carter

Return to Wiretap Discussion