Dirk Nowitzki Opting Out Of Contract, Plans To Stay With Mavs

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Dirk Nowitzki Opting Out Of Contract, Plans To Stay With Mavs 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon May 2, 2016 5:31 pm

Dirk Nowitzki will opt out of his contract to become a free agent.

Nowitzki reiterates, however, he'll remain with the Dallas Mavericks.

Via Tim MacMahon/ESPN

Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Re: Dirk Nowitzki Opting Out Of Contract, Plans To Stay With Mavs 

Post#2 » by Bentley1225 » Mon May 2, 2016 5:37 pm

Will be interesting to see what type of offer he accepts depending on how much cap room Mavs need. I am guessing he signs a 2 year, $25 million deal to finish career.
Brianmas23
Junior
And1: 25

Post#3 » by Brianmas23 » Mon May 2, 2016 6:12 pm

Hopefully Dirk learned from his last contract and that him taking a pay cut didn't help anything. They aren't the Spurs with loads of talent to resign that needs the money freed up. Dallas will never be better than 7th as 8th seeds. Get your money DIrk
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,042

Post#4 » by ontnut » Mon May 2, 2016 6:27 pm

He's gonna be a lifer with Dallas, they'll get him back on the back end as the German Ambassador or something lol. He'll have his choice of front office positions. No need for him to "get his money". But obviously, they need to do more with the space he creates, than swing and miss on Deandre-types. (ie howard)
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#5 » by MegaK » Mon May 2, 2016 6:43 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:Will be interesting to see what type of offer he accepts depending on how much cap room Mavs need. I am guessing he signs a 2 year, $25 million deal to finish career.

Going to the spurs to form the first 3 man 7 foot front line with Alrdige and Duncan. Watch out league.
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Post#6 » by jlokine » Mon May 2, 2016 7:12 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:Will be interesting to see what type of offer he accepts depending on how much cap room Mavs need. I am guessing he signs a 2 year, $25 million deal to finish career.

he is not opting out and hoping to give dallas flexibility only to sign back for more money. he isnt kobe.. he will probably sign back at the same amt after realizing with the inflated cap, same dollars is already a paycut.. i think he'll sign at $5-8M range.. (if he truly thinks he is giving the mavs flexibility) and probably a guarantee to have a job in the organization after retirement..
arasu
Rookie
And1: 147

Post#7 » by arasu » Mon May 2, 2016 7:44 pm

MegaK wrote:...

Going to the spurs to form the first 3 man 7 foot front line with Alrdige and Duncan. Watch out league.

The Spurs started a 3 man 7 foot front line in 21 regular season games (Duncan, Purdue, and would have been 30 games if Robinson didn't miss some) and in 7 of 9 playoff games in the '97-98 season. If Duncan had been the finger wagging type, he probably would have received (and did deserve) the DPOY that season.
arasu
Rookie

Post#8 » by arasu » Mon May 2, 2016 7:47 pm

jlokine wrote:

he is not opting out and hoping to give dallas flexibility only to sign back for more money. he isnt kobe.. he will probably sign back at the same amt after realizing with the inflated cap, same dollars is already a paycut.. i think he'll sign at $5-8M range.. (if he truly thinks he is giving the mavs flexibility) and probably a guarantee to have a job in the organization after retirement..

I think the primary flexibility will come as Dirk's cap hold. $15-$20 million over 2 years sounds about right.
Brianmas23
Junior
And1: 25

Post#9 » by Brianmas23 » Mon May 2, 2016 9:55 pm

arasu wrote:
jlokine wrote:

he is not opting out and hoping to give Dallas flexibility only to sign back for more money. he isn't Kobe.. he will probably sign back at the same amt after realizing with the inflated cap, same dollars is already a pay cut.. i think he'll sign at $5-8M range.. (if he truly thinks he is giving the mavs flexibility) and probably a guarantee to have a job in the organization after retirement..

I think the primary flexibility will come as Dirk's cap hold. $15-$20 million over 2 years sounds about right.

Kobe didn't demand more money, the Lakers offered it. And in all honesty if the Lakers gave Kobe $10 million it wouldn't have changed anything, the Lakers didn't miss out on any FA because of money, they had plenty of cap space. But if Dirk was going to take the same money, then why would he opt out? Dallas isn't getting anyone, except maybe Howard, but he isn't going to make much difference. So Dirk can can keep taking less money to be a 7th or 8th seed and be out for first round again then next couple of years giving Mark Cuban, and the rest of Dallas the pipe dream idea he is going to sign a big name FA and win another title. Really what they should do is sign anyone they can, and sign Dirk last and give him what is left over, which should be NO less than 12 million even though he deserves more like At least 15-18 million.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#10 » by The_Hater » Tue May 3, 2016 12:48 am

This was al out certainly a decision to help the Mavs Max their cap space. He'll likely sign a very small deal and then become the highest paid consultant in NBA history to make up for it after he retires.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#11 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue May 3, 2016 1:15 am

MegaK wrote:

Already done with Dirk, Raef LaFrentz and Shawn Bradley.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#12 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue May 3, 2016 1:19 am

Brianmas23 wrote:
arasu wrote:
jlokine wrote:

he is not opting out and hoping to give Dallas flexibility only to sign back for more money. he isn't Kobe.. he will probably sign back at the same amt after realizing with the inflated cap, same dollars is already a pay cut.. i think he'll sign at $5-8M range.. (if he truly thinks he is giving the mavs flexibility) and probably a guarantee to have a job in the organization after retirement..

Kobe didn't demand more money, the Lakers offered it. And in all honesty if the Lakers gave Kobe $10 million it wouldn't have changed anything, the Lakers didn't miss out on any FA because of money, they had plenty of cap space. But if Dirk was going to take the same money, then why would he opt out? Dallas isn't getting anyone, except maybe Howard, but he isn't going to make much difference. So Dirk can can keep taking less money to be a 7th or 8th seed and be out for first round again then next couple of years giving Mark Cuban, and the rest of Dallas the pipe dream idea he is going to sign a big name FA and win another title. Really what they should do is sign anyone they can, and sign Dirk last and give him what is left over, which should be NO less than 12 million even though he deserves more like At least 15-18 million.

Yep. Everyone has money and there are only so many players worth signing. I'll bet they sign who they can and give Dirk the remainder. His minimum should be around $8M but if they can't get anyone he will likely get a much larger deal.... or hang it up if it looks like they can't win.
arasu
Rookie

Post#13 » by arasu » Tue May 3, 2016 1:37 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:Already done with Dirk, Raef LaFrentz and Shawn Bradley.

That lineup started in only a handful of regular season games, and after using it in the starting unit for 6 games in the first round, Bradley was benched for the deciding game 7, and the lineup was scrapped moving forward. The Spurs all-7-footer lineup however was the main starting front court during the second half of the 97-98 season after Sean Elliot got hurt 36 games in. It was also used in all but two of the Spurs playoff games. That was the first and better all-7-footer lineup. The Mavericks' version was just taller.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#14 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue May 3, 2016 9:58 pm

arasu wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:Already done with Dirk, Raef LaFrentz and Shawn Bradley.

That lineup started in only a handful of regular season games, and after using it in the starting unit for 6 games in the first round, Bradley was benched for the deciding game 7, and the lineup was scrapped moving forward. The Spurs all-7-footer lineup however was the main starting front court during the second half of the 97-98 season after Sean Elliot got hurt 36 games in. It was also used in all but two of the Spurs playoff games. That was the first and better all-7-footer lineup. The Mavericks' version was just taller.

The poster wanted Dirk to go to the Spurs so they could form the FIRST all 7-foot front line. My point was that DIRK already did it. Why would I care how many minutes they played or if other people also did it in the past? Add to that that Aldridge is only 6' 11" and the idea falls apart.
arasu
Rookie

Post#15 » by arasu » Wed May 4, 2016 10:53 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:The poster wanted Dirk to go to the Spurs so they could form the FIRST all 7-foot front line. My point was that DIRK already did it. Why would I care how many minutes they played or if other people also did it in the past? Add to that that Aldridge is only 6' 11" and the idea falls apart.

Yes, you just highlighted "first", which was my point. The lineup you mentioned wasn't THE FIRST. And whether people did it in the past establishes that point. As for height, both LaFrentz and Duncan are sometimes listed at 6' 11", so in that case we are both wrong. I wasn't stressing minutes, but by emphasizing starts I was demonstrating that it was a true starting lineup and not some kind of one-off lineup. Now that we've killed the fun for someone else, our job is done. Thanks.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#16 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed May 4, 2016 9:05 pm

arasu wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:The poster wanted Dirk to go to the Spurs so they could form the FIRST all 7-foot front line. My point was that DIRK already did it. Why would I care how many minutes they played or if other people also did it in the past? Add to that that Aldridge is only 6' 11" and the idea falls apart.

Yes, you just highlighted "first", which was my point. The lineup you mentioned wasn't THE FIRST. And whether people did it in the past establishes that point. As for height, both LaFrentz and Duncan are sometimes listed at 6' 11", so in that case we are both wrong. I wasn't stressing minutes, but by emphasizing starts I was demonstrating that it was a true starting lineup and not some kind of one-off lineup. Now that we've killed the fun for someone else, our job is done. Thanks.

How can you miss a point that badly? He said that Dirk could go to San Antonio and be the first... when it wouldn't even be the first time for him. Dirk already did it. Sure, others may have done it and maybe the Spurs did it better, but that isn't anywhere near my point.

Who's not having fun?
arasu
Rookie

Post#17 » by arasu » Thu May 5, 2016 9:54 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
arasu wrote:

How can you miss a point that badly? He said that Dirk could go to San Antonio and be the first... when it wouldn't even be the first time for him. Dirk already did it. Sure, others may have done it and maybe the Spurs did it better, but that isn't anywhere near my point.

Who's not having fun?

I understood your comment was about Dirk, but MegaK's comment was about the first all 7-foot front court. I was just clarifying. While I always have fun discussing the NBA, our comments may have ruined MegaK's little all-7-footer dream, which might not be all the much fun for MegaK.

Return to Wiretap Discussion