NBA Not Anticipating 'Imminent' Changes To Lottery

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

NBA Not Anticipating 'Imminent' Changes To Lottery 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon May 16, 2016 11:09 pm

The NBA does not anticipate any "imminent" changes to the draft lottery system.

“The first thing is, the lottery is not supposed to incentivize losing," said Kiki Vandeweghe. "In theory, it’s supposed to help the teams with the worst record. That’s the whole purpose behind it. It’s been constructed in different ways and changed a variety of times over the course and adjusted as needed. But those are the two tenets to keep in mind.”

There was a proposal last season to reform the lottery that was voted down without a super majority.

“Nothing recently. I don’t think see anything imminent. A year and a half ago, there was a lot of momentum for change. We brought some thoughts to the Board of Governors. The majority of the owners were in favor of change. But a change really takes a super majority. So we barely missed that. I don’t know what has happened in between that. We’ve focused on different areas. I would assume it hasn’t really changed that much.”

Via Mark Medina/Los Angeles Daily News

CouchCoach
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: NBA Not Anticipating 'Imminent' Changes To Lottery 

Post#2 » by CouchCoach » Tue May 17, 2016 10:10 pm

Ok here is how we fix the NBA Lottery system. Brace yourself....
Single Elimination Tournament for the top two picks. I call it NBMay Madness.
The bottom four team in each conference play in a single elimination tournament held between the end of the regular season and the start of the playoffs. The team that wins the tournament gets the number one pick and the team that comes in second gets the number two pick. The rest of the picks are decided the same way the draft lottery is decided today. The beauty of this concept is that it discourages teams from tanking because they want to be good enough to win the number one pick. At the end of the day why does the team with the worst record get the best odds to win the lottery. The second worst team in the league may have only won one more game all year, so really they are just as bad. The other positive is that fans of crappy teams will actually have something to get excited about. This essentially becomes their playoffs (not to mention the NBA will make a heap of money from it). It will also help teams that are stuck in mediocrity climb out of limbo. How may teams year after year are too crap to make the playoffs, but too good to get a high draft pick. All you have to do as a crap team is win 3 games.

Return to Wiretap Discussion