Re: LeBron James Explains 'Secret Motivation' Remark About Miami

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

LeBron James Explains 'Secret Motivation' Remark About Miami 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:42 pm

LeBron James' "secret motivation" became a talking point of the 2015 Finals.

James was asked about it again during his press conference after winning The Finals on Sunday.

James said he would tell Dave McMenamin about it privately.

“[James] told me that when he left Miami and people who he thought he had strong, trusting relationships with – he said, I’m not going to name names, but someone told me that ‘you’re making the biggest mistake of your career.’

“And he said it really hurt him. Basically, he felt taken for granted. ‘Look, I just gave you four years of my prime, and you’re not going to be comfortable with my decision and root me on? You’re going to make me feel bad going out the door?’”

While James didn't name anyone specifically, it is widely believed to be Pat Riley.

Via Dave McMenamin/ESPN (via Deadspin)

gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Post#2 » by gom » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:57 pm

And here I was cheering for him to succeed. A pity.

Look, I just gave you four years of my prime, and you’re not going to be comfortable with my decision and root me on?

I'm shocked that this surprised him. Pat Riley is trying to win a championship for Miami. So, um, no, he isn't cheering for you against our team.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
KingTdot
Senior
And1: 306

Post#3 » by KingTdot » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:08 pm

gom wrote:And here I was cheering for him to succeed. A pity.

Look, I just gave you four years of my prime, and you’re not going to be comfortable with my decision and root me on?

I'm shocked that this surprised him. Pat Riley is trying to win a championship for Miami. So, um, no, he isn't cheering for you against our team.

Its not audio recorded so the reporter probably twisted parts of his words, Lebron most likely meant " why are you going to be salty if i leave after i gave u 4 years with 2 championships? "

Its not like Miami became bottom-feeders when he left, they just became an average playoff team that will make it to the post season but will never win a championship again unless they get another player like him. (or a team of that caliber)

Anyone would be salty if Lebron left their team, who wouldn't? He's arguably one of the best to ever play the game. LeBron just wanted a better going-away "party" than what he received, its like Dan gilbert and his disrespectful letter to LeBron who then apologized when he returned.. (not surprised).
greggschapiro
Sophomore
And1: 35

Post#4 » by greggschapiro » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:09 pm

That's clearly not the point. He basically told him he couldn't win without him. Looks like he was wrong.
BasketballJosh
Junior
And1: 35

Post#5 » by BasketballJosh » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:10 pm

Exactly. Don't be surprised. But, whatever gave him motivation was a HUGE driving force and fun to watch.
Cmon_Son-_-
Head Coach
And1: 8,734

Re: Re: LeBron James Explains 'Secret Motivation' Remark About Miami 

Post#6 » by Cmon_Son-_- » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:33 pm

So does this mean Pat Riley has a hand in all 3 rings?
| ̶G̶̶̶i̶̶̶a̶̶̶n̶̶̶n̶̶̶i̶̶̶s̶̶̶ ̶̶̶2̶̶̶0̶̶̶2̶̶̶1̶̶̶ ̶̶̶ ̶H̶̶̶a̶̶̶r̶̶̶d̶̶̶e̶̶̶n̶̶̶ ̶̶̶2̶̶̶0̶̶̶2̶̶̶0̶̶̶ ̶ ̶B̶e̶a̶l̶/̶L̶a̶v̶i̶n̶e̶/̶L̶i̶l̶l̶a̶r̶d̶/̶I̶r̶v̶i̶n̶g̶/̶M̶i̶t̶c̶h̶e̶l̶l̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶3 ̶L̶i̶l̶l̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶2̶.̶0̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶4̶ Jesus 2024| :pray:|
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,455

Re: Re: LeBron James Explains 'Secret Motivation' Remark About Miami 

Post#7 » by Slava » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:55 pm

Cmon_Son-_- wrote:So does this mean Pat Riley has a hand in all 3 rings?

Sure if he wants to take credit for it.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,534

Post#8 » by Furinkazan » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:55 pm

lmao I thought it was the any of the players
ebrian
Junior
And1: 32

Post#9 » by ebrian » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:14 pm

Yea I pretty much thought of Riley the moment I read about this yesterday. That's the kind of guy Riley is though, he's a hardnosed type of guy that, if you slight him in any way or form he has no issue immediately burning that bridge.

Lebron has a point as many of you have pointed out. He gave Miami 2 championships. I think Riley is overlooking the fact that it wasn't so much about Miami that made Lebron come, with Bosh. It was more that Wade was already there and they weren't going to go to Toronto for Bosh, and moving 3 players to any other city would make zero sense (too complicated). So while Riley thinks he deserves some credit, he's not the one that orchestrated the whole thing. He does deserve some credit for assembling the right mix of role players to help the other 3 win the championship but not the level of credit Riley thinks he deserved.
mawbsta
Senior
And1: 46

Post#10 » by mawbsta » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:30 am

Because James needs lots of bum pats for all his efforts - not happy with just playing - he needs everyone to love him - even the team he's spurning for greener pastures? nobody would be happy with that, especially the genius who helped orchestrate his exodus from Cleveland in the first place - if indeed we are talking about Riley, then at the time leaving a perennial champion, and ready-fit Dynasty for the fledgling, no-luck Cavaliers ABSOLUTELY looked like the worst decision an athlete in his prime could make.

Nothing wrong with those comments, nor are those comments in any way plausibly "taken for granted"
Of course Miami and Riley and everyone else on the team and in the City wanted Lebron to stay - but Lebron isn't about the team - he is about Lebron. He's acknowledging the "sacrifice" he made to join a secretly constructed super-team, while at the same time "taking for granted" the sacrifices that Wade and Bosh had to make while he was there...

It's all selfish. Lebron is a self-indulgent baby who needs coddling. Riley is a masochist who makes no bones about all is fair in love and war.

in the end, Lebron gave everyone in Cleveland what they wanted, and spurned every hater that said he could never make it. That in of itself is a grand legacy worthy of the annuls of remarkable sports history. Knowing Lebron, now he needs to have his bum patted again and he'll be looking now to come back to Miami to save face with all those people now too...

Lebron, just enjoy your dominance. Forget the fools. You can play for ANY TEAM YOU WANT - all it takes is accepting the MLE or the Vets min - ANY TEAM YOU WANT

Wait for the chips to fall in Free Agency, and then go and make a team that can win 74 games - why not "orchestrate" Durant signing in San Antonio, and then following him there and taking a page out of Duncan's book, and taking the Mid level Exception or Veteran's Minimum to create a truly formidable, heck indomitable team.

Aldridge
Lebron
Durant
Leonard

oh my
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,871

Post#11 » by LakersLegacy » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:36 am

Riley probably just thought he was a better Running a team than Dan Gilbert and after that traitor letter he may be right.

But the Cavs had 3 #1 picks and TT and other lotto players to trade and it all worked out for LeBron, while the Heat lost Bosh.

LeBron left at the correct time
JR Hawks
Starter
And1: 899

Post#12 » by JR Hawks » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:52 am

U mad, Heat fans?
gom

Post#13 » by gom » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:28 am

JR Hawks wrote:

U mad, Heat fans?

More like disappointed. We've cheered for James every time he's returned to Miami. It doesn't mean we don't want to beat him though.
FrontPageNews
Starter
And1: 1,474

Post#14 » by FrontPageNews » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:30 am

The curse of Lebron.

And for this the city of Miami will not win a title for 50 years.
AJ37
Junior
And1: 322

Post#15 » by AJ37 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:04 am

so that upset him but cavs fans burning his jersey was cool?
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#16 » by The_Hater » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:01 pm

I think It would depend on when in the process this comment was made. If Riley said this while there was still a chance to resign him then you're right. But what if this conversation took place after he already signed with Cleveland? Then it just looks like sour grapes.

That said, you can understand Riley for being bitter. Just like Gilbert was bitter when he left Cleveland. Nobody wants to lose the best player on the planet.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
bgrep14
Veteran
And1: 211

Post#17 » by bgrep14 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:43 pm

apj37 wrote:so that upset him but cavs fans burning his jersey was cool?

Miami burnt his jersey and desicrated his mural so I wouldn't exactly say miami took the high horse. Not to mention Lebron was drafted and developed by Cleveland and left before winning anything. He won two for Miami who just signed him. Honestly if LeBron left CLE now after winning i'd still cheer for him as long as his team isn't playing the Cavs. After he left the first time no chance.
xx1c1cle
Sophomore
And1: 54

Post#18 » by xx1c1cle » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:40 pm

Respectfully, I think you miss the point Lebron is making. Pat Riley's comments were personally hurtful, and directly insinuated that Lebron couldn't be successful without the Heat and Riley. Riley could have said, "I respect your decision, I wish you could have stayed, we would would have been great together, I wish you success, and look forward to beating you in the playoffs".

But, instead, Riley took the low road.
Im a longterm bulls fan, and hate the Cavs, but Lebron is a first-class-act human, man, player.
gom

Post#19 » by gom » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:18 pm

xx1c1cle wrote:

Respectfully, I think you miss the point Lebron is making. Pat Riley's comments were personally hurtful, and directly insinuated that Lebron couldn't be successful without the Heat and Riley. Riley could have said, "I respect your decision, I wish you could have stayed, we would would have been great together, I wish you success, and look forward to beating you in the playoffs".

But, instead, Riley took the low road.
Im a longterm bulls fan, and hate the Cavs, but Lebron is a first-class-act human, man, player.

So the high road is that after winning the championship in Cleveland, one of the first things that Lebron comments is against his former GM in Miami? No, respectfully, the one who was bitter here is Lebron. If that's what it takes to motivate him, fine. Different strokes for different folks, but it is revealing. And disappointing.

If I move on, I move on. Anyone could spend the years after a job complaining about how they were treated, about their differences, or perceived slights. I personally thought it was the right time for James to leave too. We weren't going to win a title with that team that lost to San Antonio in 2014, and he had every right to go. A basketball player's career is short and it's understood that every season is valuable. Hell, that's why he probably left Cleveland in the first place: to win a championship. Pat Riley helped him, and he should be grateful. It's a 2 way street.

Winning for Cleveland fans is incredible motivation. Winning for your teammates is great motivation. Winning to increase your reputation is a good motivation. Winning because Pat Riley says you weren't tough enough and then making it a point to dump it in his face doesn't seem first-class to me at all. I still respect him for the basketball he played here, his dedication to the people of Ohio, his family, and his friends, but this behavior reeks of narcissism.
Trever1982
Sophomore
And1: 10

Post#20 » by Trever1982 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:14 pm

I guess the rest of the Cavalier players were nothing but role players for the King almighty? give me a break here.. Kyrie Irving was the true MVP superstar that dominated the Warriors and hit that key 3 to win the championship. Get off of James nuts I've never seen a person get worshipped like a god as the media does to this guy. Barry Bonds was worshipped and so wasn't Lance Armstrong but both were found to be steroid users... I can't wait for the day that Lebron James is thrown under the bus too because of his use of steroids.

Return to Wiretap Discussion