Joe Lacob: We Drove Idea Of Small Ball, We're On To The Next Idea

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Joe Lacob: We Drove Idea Of Small Ball, We're On To The Next Idea 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:27 am

Joe Lacob spoke on Tuesday at Stanford's Director's College summit just two days after his Golden State Warriors lost in Game 7 of The Finals after blowing a 3-1 series lead.

Lacob said the Warriors lead trends and then look for the next, which is similar to Silicon Valley businesses.

“We drove this idea of small ball, and it’s a different style of play,” Lacob said. “Having said that, I think it’s important to know that whenever everyone else starts doing things, it’s time to start doing what’s next. We’re on to the next idea — How can we iterate to evolve to get an advantage? I can assure you we’re very forward thinking in that regard.”

Lacob even said the Warriors were the reason why the salary cap went up to $94 million. The big spike in the cap is due to the NBA's new television deals.

“The free agency market is like the talent market in Silicon Valley,” Lacob said. “It’s about hiring the best people and letting them do their job. I set the highest goal and pay them whatever it takes. Great people attract great people.”

Via Jennifer Elias/Silicon Valley Business Journal

The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Re: Joe Lacob: We Drove Idea Of Small Ball, We're On To The Next Idea 

Post#2 » by The_Hater » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:50 am

I'm certain that even Warrior's fans agree that Lacob needs to shut his trap and let the basketball people do their jobs.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
dctarga
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#3 » by dctarga » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:58 am

The_Hater wrote:I'm certain that even Warrior's fans agree that Lacob needs to shut his trap and let the basketball people do their jobs.

Yes, very much agree. Also, Draymond needs to chill a little bit (a lot), Curry and Klay need to step up when it matters, and Kerr needs to stop with the Kumbaya Kerr stuff in the playoffs.

But yeah, we have good owners, but they (he) need to stop sounding so egotistical. So yeah, stop talking Joe!
intheair1
Freshman
And1: 8

Post#4 » by intheair1 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:00 am

the whole warriors group except bob meyers need to go to a p.r. camp this summer. stfu and get back to work. and actually stephs pretty good at chilling out when talking to the media but his wife could go instead. the high road is a real place and dam it feels good when u learn to cross it
DJ3thenew23
Pro Prospect
And1: 80

Post#5 » by DJ3thenew23 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:11 am

intheair1 wrote:the whole warriors group except bob meyers need to go to a p.r. camp this summer. stfu and get back to work. and actually stephs pretty good at chilling out when talking to the media but his wife could go instead. the high road is a real place and dam it feels good when u learn to cross it

Ayesha, Klay, Joe, Draymond, and Kerr specifically
zeebo wrote:Is winning championships really that important?

olive_triangurl wrote:If i had to meet LeBron i'd go straight to the hypnotist to get my conscious memory wiped afterward (sadly it'd still be in my subconscious memory, as everything is, even past lives).
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#6 » by hyberx » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:21 am

Hmmm let's see. This guy bought a long term failed franchise for a huge amount of money at the time, hired a rookie GM, hired 2 rookie coaches, persuaded and brought in the Logo, traded his most popular player at the time in Monta and got boo-ed out of the gym. The result? The pathetic franchise turned into a Champion and heavy favorite for the future in mere 5 years. Yeah he'd better let basketball people do the job right? :lol:

BTW, he was talking at the Stanford's Director's College summit, obviously you guys are not the intended audience. :roll:
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#7 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:23 am

The_Hater wrote:I'm certain that even Warrior's fans agree that Lacob needs to shut his trap and let the basketball people do their jobs.

Yes and no. You want to slap him, but at the same time they have done a great job. As long as they keep winning he can say whatever he wants... he as always backed it up.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#8 » by SmashMouthRod » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:49 am

His quote shouldve said something more like "We lucked into a player chosen in the 2nd round that has allowed for us to use some of D'Antoni's methods to win." Because if were being honest. Draymond is the huge difference maker small ball gem that many teams would love to get their hands on at this moment. Dude is like a phoenix suns version of Boris Diaw with a jump shot. His ability to play and defend the 3-4 and 5 well cant be quantified. Add in a bit of irony. Kerr worked with D'Antoni. Former assistant coach Alvin Gentry also worked with D'Antoni. After they won the chip last season Gentry stated something like "We kicked everyones ass, with your style that everyone says dont work." referencing D'Antoni. These coincidences should make everyone wonder what was the true inspiration for Golden States death lineup.
mhi
Pro Prospect
And1: 138

Post#9 » by mhi » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:08 am

I thought he wanted to model the Spurs culture? Too bad Kerr is a "let them have fun" type of guy.
Originated from the nethermost, currently however, our entire squadron is now hither.
ItsAJyaKnow
Bench Warmer
And1: 10

Post#10 » by ItsAJyaKnow » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:14 am

I'm pretty sure the Heat drove small ball before the Warriors.
- I am Heat Nation.
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 1,959

Post#11 » by Bobbymcgee » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:18 am

I wonder what this great new idea is? And does it involve the splash brothers?

What they had (or may still have) is nothing new. Its the same old "live by the three, die by the three" style of play.

The problem with that style of play is if you run into a team that can defend the three then you are done.

The Warrior's owner is way too full of himself. Granted he is a successful person but that does not mean he isn't a pretentious blowhard.
DJ3thenew23
Pro Prospect
And1: 80

Post#12 » by DJ3thenew23 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:59 am

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:

Yes and no. You want to slap him, but at the same time they have done a great job. As long as they keep winning he can say whatever he wants... he as always backed it up.

And now that they lost, time to shut up
zeebo wrote:Is winning championships really that important?

olive_triangurl wrote:If i had to meet LeBron i'd go straight to the hypnotist to get my conscious memory wiped afterward (sadly it'd still be in my subconscious memory, as everything is, even past lives).
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,786

Post#13 » by contract » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:05 am

SuperFlash wrote:I'm pretty sure the Heat drove small ball before the Warriors.

What? We only won 2 championships playing small.
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#14 » by Pennebaker » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:30 am

Please. The Heat's small ball was winning rings before Steph Curry ever sniffed an MVP.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#15 » by Winsome Gerbil » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:54 am

I am beginning to get very worried for Warriors fans. Pride goeth before the fall, and their front office suffers from flat out deluded hubris. They could easily end up messing the whole thing up while impressing themselves with their cleverness.
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#16 » by luss54321 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:13 am

What an insufferable prick
cmfreeman
Freshman
And1: 2

Post#17 » by cmfreeman » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:05 am

hyberx wrote:Hmmm let's see. This guy bought a long term failed franchise for a huge amount of money at the time, hired a rookie GM, hired 2 rookie coaches, persuaded and brought in the Logo, traded his most popular player at the time in Monta and got boo-ed out of the gym. The result? The pathetic franchise turned into a Champion and heavy favorite for the future in mere 5 years. Yeah he'd better let basketball people do the job right? :lol:

BTW, he was talking at the Stanford's Director's College summit, obviously you guys are not the intended audience. :roll:

/Thread
Bball0000
Bench Warmer
And1: 361

Post#18 » by Bball0000 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:00 am

Ill take a David Lee and Bogut over small ball. Warriors didnt win again vs Cavs after Bogut got injured. Kerr needs to stop trying to play so damn gimmicky and clever and just play straight up basketball. They have enough talent to play traditional ball and still win. Small ball reminds me too much of Don Nelson, puke.
You need rebounding, post presence, defense. Charles Barkley was right, jump shooting teams dont win rings. Watch the last 5 possessions of gsw in game 7 of finals. All prayer outside J's.
BorkLazer
Senior
And1: 427

Post#19 » by BorkLazer » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:17 am

Bball0000 wrote:Ill take a David Lee and Bogut over small ball. Warriors didnt win again vs Cavs after Bogut got injured. Kerr needs to stop trying to play so damn gimmicky and clever and just play straight up basketball. They have enough talent to play traditional ball and still win. Small ball reminds me too much of Don Nelson, puke.
You need rebounding, post presence, defense. Charles Barkley was right, jump shooting teams dont win rings. Watch the last 5 possessions of gsw in game 7 of finals. All prayer outside J's.

Honestly I don't even think Kerr is that great of a coach, he just has a team that fits perfectly with his system (not to mention veterans like Barbosa somehow still playing decent ball). But when what they like to do stops working (threes don't fall, getting out-rebounded and pushed around using the small lineup) he doesn't seem able to adapt to the circumstances. Now I didn't watch the Warriors on a game-by-game basis, but that is what I see.
coolbyme
Junior
And1: 48

Post#20 » by coolbyme » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:10 pm

SmashMouthRod wrote:Draymond is the huge difference maker small ball gem that many teams would love to get their hands on at this moment. Dude is like a phoenix suns version of Boris Diaw with a jump shot. His ability to play and defend the 3-4 and 5 well cant be quantified.

Yup, well put my friend

Return to Wiretap Discussion