Union Encouraging Players To Take Frontloaded Contracts

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Union Encouraging Players To Take Frontloaded Contracts 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:27 am

With the salary cap increasing dramatically this season and next, the union has encouraged players to sign contract that decline over time so they can get as much guaranteed money up front as possible, according to sources.

The cap will be set at least $94 million this season and $107 million in 2017 before the cap flattens in 2018.

There is also a pending potential lockout in 2017 as the owners and players work on a new collective bargaining agreement.

The league's minimum payroll will be at $85 million.

Via Zach Lowe/ESPN

xx1c1cle
Sophomore
And1: 54

Re: Union Encouraging Players To Take Frontloaded Contracts 

Post#2 » by xx1c1cle » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:21 am

so the union wants to put the teams in bankruptcy-prone positions? And because a lock-out strike is looming, the union wants to put the players is a position such that they have more savings and can be more aggressive with their strike negotiations?

ahh, I really don't care. the players, owners, and agents are rich. and then there are thousands and thousands of employees working minimum wage.
youblewwit
Sophomore
And1: 10

Post#3 » by youblewwit » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:10 am

I really don't care about workers making minimum wage. I care about basketball. If you're tuning in to an NBA game (or any professional sport league) to watch minimum wage workers serve food and point people to their seats, you're an idiot and should stop watching sports.
capwolf
Bench Warmer
And1: 216

Post#4 » by capwolf » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:42 am

xx1c1cle wrote:so the union wants to put the teams in bankruptcy-prone positions? And because a lock-out strike is looming, the union wants to put the players is a position such that they have more savings and can be more aggressive with their strike negotiations?

ahh, I really don't care. the players, owners, and agents are rich. and then there are thousands and thousands of employees working minimum wage.

What pray tell is a lock out strike...And if you were the union head why wouldn't you want your players to be in the best bargaining position ?
Madgrinch knows more about basketball than me......
F'ing sig bets smh.......
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,838

Post#5 » by spree2kawhi » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:46 am

The money involved used to be ridiculous. It's getting to a point where it's shameful somehow. It's a market though, so I guess it's warranted at the same time.
xx1c1cle
Sophomore
And1: 54

Post#6 » by xx1c1cle » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:25 pm

capwolf wrote:
xx1c1cle wrote:so the union wants to put the teams in bankruptcy-prone positions? And because a lock-out strike is looming, the union wants to put the players is a position such that they have more savings and can be more aggressive with their strike negotiations?

What pray tell is a lock out strike...And if you were the union head why wouldn't you want your players to be in the best bargaining position ?

the "best bargaining position" may not be the best position long term. I believe this is fairly obvious, and don't want to get in a long contract negotiation discussion with you. there are many unions in American history that demanded excessive terms, which in the end bankrupted the company years down the line. (which dissolves the union, and allows company to hire back the workers as temp employees without benefits and a union.) For instance, the players union may aggressively demand a higher minimum salary. Which is fine at first. But that puts more cost stresses on the teams, so the teams must increase ticket prices, which may reduce ticket sales (for small market teams) which may result is revenue loss or bankruptcy, or excessive budget strategies like "tanking".

By "lock out strike" I meant "lock out / strike", which I used as a general term for the possible temporary work stoppage of NBA players. I don't know if it will be initiated by the players (strike) or the team-companies (lock out). If I'm incorrect, then correct me instead of asking a question for an answer you already know. And, if you're going to be so formal with the "pray tell", you should know that asking two questions in one sentence is grammatically incorrect.

Return to Wiretap Discussion