Knicks Considered Favorites To Sign Joakim Noah

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Knicks Considered Favorites To Sign Joakim Noah 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:52 am

The New York Knicks are considered heavy favorites to sign Joakim Noah in free agency.

Noah is expected to part ways with the Chicago Bulls this offseason after joining them in the 2007 NBA Draft via a pick swap from the Eddy Curry trade.

The Knicks acquired Derrick Rose from the Bulls via trade before last week's draft and they've expressed interest in continuing as teammates.

Via Marc Stein/ESPN

dnice16
Ballboy
And1: 4

Re: Knicks Considered Favorites To Sign Joakim Noah 

Post#2 » by dnice16 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:09 am

I dont get the whole noah thing thats been going on its like the media wants to make this guy a **** tone of money. Anything over 10 a season for noah is ridiculous imo.
dballislife
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Post#3 » by dballislife » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:41 am

noah has somehow managed to miss 20 or so game every year in the nba, dam hes so injury prone...and his last 2 years have been ever worse, numbers way down...hes also turning 32, thats not good for a energy hustle big like noah
What is basketball.....basketball is life!
RightToCensor
Head Coach
And1: 7,410

Post#4 » by RightToCensor » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:51 am

In the market from two seasons ago I'd say he's worth around $9M per season.

$18M is crazy.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,210

Post#5 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:51 am

dnice16 wrote:I dont get the whole noah thing thats been going on its like the media wants to make this guy a **** tone of money. Anything over 10 a season for noah is ridiculous imo.

I'm not sure what you're looking at. Are you basing your opinion on last year when he was inexplicably relegated to the bench and only played 29 games due to injury. Or does his whole body of work tell you that he isn't worth more than $10M?

Noah is two years removed from being named an All-Star, defensive player of the year, All-NBA first team and All-NBA defensive first team. And even with reduced playing time last year he averaged almost 9 reb and 4 ast and led all centers in assist to turnover ratio. He's going to get paid... and it will have nothing to do with what the media has to say about him. Almost very team has money to burn this summer.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#6 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:04 am

Good luck
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
GregOden
Starter
And1: 2,499

Post#7 » by GregOden » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:45 am

RightToCensor wrote:In the market from two seasons ago I'd say he's worth around $9M per season.

$18M is crazy.

Its still far better than getting $30mil/year for his production.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#8 » by MitchB3 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:49 am

RightToCensor wrote:In the market from two seasons ago I'd say he's worth around $9M per season.

$18M is crazy.

Do you smoke? Do you drink? Because the fact that can say Noah is only worth $9M per season tells me that you are more a casual fan. What Noah brings to the Knicks, it toughness, grind, a playmaking center, and someone who can cover both Kristaps and Melo mistakes. So you need to reevaluate what you just said.
ChanTheMan_34
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#9 » by ChanTheMan_34 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:50 am

To pay him $18 mil a year is a bit crazy, but he'll be a perfect fit in New York. He's always been a big time hustle guy and is also a great passer and defensive player. I like what the Knicks are doing, and if Noah can stay healthy, he can hopefully give some toughness to the Knicks. If Rose can have somewhat of a comeback year, Melo has a good shooting year, and Porzingis keeps getting better, Knicks will definitely be a playoff team. Biggest concern is health obviously.
SHO'NUFF
Head Coach
And1: 2,160

Post#10 » by SHO'NUFF » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:44 am

Around $18 Mil? Not worth that.....at all. Teams will pay though. Enjoy, Knicks.
#BullsFansLivesMatter Image
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#11 » by luss54321 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:05 am

dballislife wrote:noah has somehow managed to miss 20 or so game every year in the nba, dam hes so injury prone...and his last 2 years have been ever worse, numbers way down...hes also turning 32, thats not good for a energy hustle big like noah

I think Noah's game will age well. He has a great feel for the game. He knows where to be on defense. He makes the right play on offense. For a center, Noah is an elite passer, defender, and rebounder. He relies more on good instincts than he does athleticism.
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#12 » by LordBaldric » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:27 am

Good. Noah has been one of my favorite players, but keep his broken down ass away from the Wolves at those high dollar figures.
DeedlegreenJr
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#13 » by DeedlegreenJr » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:11 am

Ya'll funny. The NBA has an inflated cap this year and through the roof next year. Robin Lopez got almost 14 mil per with no inflated cap but Noah cant get 18 with an inflated cap that has risen higher than ever??? Noah is a lot better than Lopez especially since he can play the high and low post as the best passing big in the East. He's perfect to help groom KP and doesnt require shots to do it.
2hard2guard
Junior
And1: 15

Post#14 » by 2hard2guard » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:25 am

18 million ! Biggest mistake ever ! But this is on par for the sorry ass Knicks ! Guy is barely worth maybe 8-10 mill when healthy ! He is a broken down waste already ! Get me whiteside for the 18 mill any day over Noah
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#15 » by WindyCityBorn » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:41 am

DeedlegreenJr wrote:Ya'll funny. The NBA has an inflated cap this year and through the roof next year. Robin Lopez got almost 14 mil per with no inflated cap but Noah cant get 18 with an inflated cap that has risen higher than ever??? Noah is a lot better than Lopez especially since he can play the high and low post as the best passing big in the East. He's perfect to help groom KP and doesnt require shots to do it.

I'm glad the Bulls have Lopez over Noah. Noah is just as injury prone as Rose if not more so and his offensive game is atrocious outside of his passing. He also can't really jump any more thanks to knee issues. He can be a decent role player, but he is NOT worth $18 million.
bpcox05
Veteran
And1: 481

Post#16 » by bpcox05 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:46 am

Knicks should just trade a future protected pick for Koufos. Gives them a cheap, defensive center that replaces Lopez while preserving their cap space to go after a high end wing.

With the complications in Miami in regards to Wade's contract, the Knicks may have an opportunity to try and team up Paul, Wade, Anthony, LeBron & Porzingis. If they want to take that shot, they shouldn't be investing a big contract in a center. Let's go through the numbers...

They have around ~29 mil in cap space right now. If they let Galloway & Early walk, they have about $35 mil in cap space to work with. If they were to trade a pick for Koufos, that leaves them with about $27.5 mil left. They could potentially try to sign Wade to a $51mil over 3 years deal w/ a player option on the last year. That leaves them with about $11.8 mil to fill in the rest of the roster on 1 year deals to keep their cap flexibility.

The following offseason they would have Anthony, Wade, Koufos, Porzingiz, & O'Quinn on the books. If they were able to dump both Koufos & O'Quinn for cap space. They'd have about $56 mil in cap space to try and lure both LeBron & Paul to New York. Is it enough? maybe, maybe not. Obviously they wouldn't be able to max both players and LeBron & Paul could be open to the idea of taking a bit of a paycut to play with their friends. Then they use any exceptions they have & minimal deals to round out the bench & depth around a Paul/Wade/Anthony/LeBron/Porzingis starting lineup.

If that doesn't work out, they still have at least a cheap, defensive center that allows them to focus on acquiring two studs at PG & SG to fit around Anthony/Porzingis/Koufos in the starting lineup. For instance, if they maxed Batum this year and then maxed Paul next year, they would have a Paul/Batum/Anthony/Porzingis/Koufos starting 5 which I think has the potential to be pretty deadly if Porzingis keeps developing.

Or if they are unable to get Batum this year and settle on a guy like Bazemore for $72 mil over 4 years, they'd have around $45 mil in cap space with the ability to still max a guy like Paul but also have some money left over to help with the bench. Or they could maybe max a guy who hasn't been in the league 10+ years which will give them more cap space. For instance, if they maxed out Griffin or Hayward and then used the rest of the cap to sign a guy like G. Hill or D. Collison at PG, they'd still have a terrific starting 5 (with Koufos coming off the bench). Hill/Bazemore/Hayward/Anthony/Porzingis or Hill/Bazemore/Anthony/Griffin/Porzingis.

Personally, I think the Paul/Batum/Anthony/Porzingis/Koufos lineup would be the most balanced with all of that shooting, scoring, size, and defense.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,418
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#17 » by E-Balla » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:18 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
dnice16 wrote:I dont get the whole noah thing thats been going on its like the media wants to make this guy a **** tone of money. Anything over 10 a season for noah is ridiculous imo.

I'm not sure what you're looking at. Are you basing your opinion on last year when he was inexplicably relegated to the bench and only played 29 games due to injury. Or does his whole body of work tell you that he isn't worth more than $10M?

Noah is two years removed from being named an All-Star, defensive player of the year, All-NBA first team and All-NBA defensive first team. And even with reduced playing time last year he averaged almost 9 reb and 4 ast and led all centers in assist to turnover ratio. He's going to get paid... and it will have nothing to do with what the media has to say about him. Almost very team has money to burn this summer.

He had more turnovers than field goals made and shot 38% from the field. He's washed up and I'll be mad if we get him for more than 12 million because even that will be overpriced.

If we really traded RoLo to build a Rose-Lee-Melo-Porzingis-Noah starting 5 it's going to look very bad on the court.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#18 » by D21 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:46 am

dballislife wrote:noah has somehow managed to miss 20 or so game every year in the nba, dam hes so injury prone...and his last 2 years have been ever worse, numbers way down...hes also turning 32, thats not good for a energy hustle big like noah

How many Bulls have been injury prone this past years ? Too much, at a point you don't know if it's really the players or the bad management. Each year, CHI has played them too much.
K6P
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#19 » by K6P » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:52 am

Not a Knicks fan but I do like Noah's game.

I think it's a good signing.

As someone posted earlier, he'll make up for Melo's and KP's mistakes. As a plus, he's a loyal guy (loyal to Rose - When Chicago fans were cheering MVP for him, he went to the media stating Rose is Bulls MVP)

Teams need a defensive balance to contend. That's exactly what he brings. To add to that his passing is a plus. I mean, who is Melo if he doesn't have anyone passing to him? (Would he be the DeRozen of Small Forwards? All shots but not enough 'D'...whose gonna grab those missed shots that Melo puts up?)

As a Raps fan, I would be apprehensive when playing the Knicks if they get Noah and all players are healthy....
MrNYYNYGNYK
Junior
And1: 20

Post#20 » by MrNYYNYGNYK » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:04 pm

18 mill is more than I would to see us spend on Noah! It's a gamble much like Rose is with the recent injury history of both guys I would prefer Gasol who would be much cheaper and certainly on a 1 or 2 year deal the big key will be years with Noah! And we certainly don't want to pay him anymore than 18 mill if the price escalates and it becomes a bidding war Phil you have to let Noah go don't be desperate! And the deal should not be for more than 3 years with a team option last year but Phil's recent deals shows it will be a player option :o ....

Return to Wiretap Discussion