Russell Westbrook Has Given Thunder No Indication He Would Like Trade

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Russell Westbrook Has Given Thunder No Indication He Would Like Trade 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:32 pm

Russell Westbrook has given the Oklahoma City Thunder no indication he currently would like a trade or plans on leaving in free agency in 2017.

One source described Westbrook as "ticked off" about Kevin Durant's decision to leave in free agency and is eager for the season to start as it will present a new challenge.

"He's ready," said the source.

Via Anthony Slater/Oklahoman

Obitron64
Sophomore
And1: 107

Re: Russell Westbrook Has Given Thunder No Indication He Would Like Trade 

Post#2 » by Obitron64 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:26 pm

I can't help but root for the thunder in the playoffs next year. They can at the very least make it to the Western Finals
LaRance
Bench Warmer
And1: 104

Post#3 » by LaRance » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:28 pm

:) I'm eager to see how Westbrook will do as the main go to guy. I foresee a potential scoring title and a single season triple double record
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,211

Post#4 » by tsherkin » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:34 pm

LaRance wrote:I foresee a potential scoring title

Maybe. He did it in 2015. Wasn't the greatest scoring season ever and it was "only" 28 ppg. Three guys matched or beat his 2015 scoring volume this past year (Durant, Harden and Steph, in reverse order). Steph and Durant probably won't challenge him for it this season, as they're on the same team now, but Harden's still out there and needs to gun. Cousins and Lebron are still around, and Cousins posted 26.9 ppg this past season. It wasn't the greatest scoring season either, given volume/efficiency, but he's going to still need to take a lot of shots. Lillard's still in the mix. Pretty sure Westbrook will be top 3 in scoring volume, though, it seems very likely.

and a single season triple double record

Hmm. He'll be fighting with Draymond Green for this one. Westy did just tie Magic's record, set in 82, for single-season triple-doubles at 18. He might break it this year, it's possible.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,534

Post#5 » by Furinkazan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:39 pm

Obitron64 wrote:I can't help but root for the thunder in the playoffs next year. They can at the very least make it to the Western Finals

would be hilarious if they beat Warriors.Durant would look like an idiot.I can already see the memes
Dino353
Sixth Man
And1: 1,246

Post#6 » by Dino353 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:29 pm

But why wont he sign though? Pretty sure Presti went And got Alex Abrines because he knows he might make send Westbrook away. That kid Abrines has some Reggie Miller to him and is 6'6, can come off screens and knock down jumpshots at a high clip. If Westbrook does not want to sign now Presti has to move him by the trade deadline. Oladipo still has star potential and they have a lot of young guys who can turn into stars(Sabonis,Adams,Abrines,Oladipo). trade Westbrook For Smart, Brown, and one of those Brooklyn picks. Lineup could look like this Smart-Oladipo-Brown-Kanter-Adams. Re-sign Oladipo next off season And thats It.
sylpkt
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#7 » by sylpkt » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:44 pm

Dino353 wrote:But why wont he sign though? Pretty sure Presti went And got Alex Abrines because he knows he might make send Westbrook away. That kid Abrines has some Reggie Miller to him and is 6'6, can come off screens and knock down jumpshots at a high clip. If Westbrook does not want to sign now Presti has to move him by the trade deadline. Oladipo still has star potential and they have a lot of young guys who can turn into stars(Sabonis,Adams,Abrines,Oladipo). trade Westbrook For Smart, Brown, and one of those Brooklyn picks. Lineup could look like this Smart-Oladipo-Brown-Kanter-Adams. Re-sign Oladipo next off season And thats It.

Even though he can sign an extension for more money now, it doesn't sense for him to do that. He'd get way more money either resigning or leaving next year from both OKC or any other team. He's in the same boat as KD was this year where he'll probably sign a 2 year deal with a player option and get is 10 year 35% contract. If he wants out, it makes sense for him to tell the Thunder where he's looking because the new team will get his Bird rights and therefore can pay him more money.
sylpkt
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#8 » by sylpkt » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:45 pm

"Lineup could look like this Smart-Oladipo-Brown-Kanter-Adams. Re-sign Oladipo next off season And thats It."

And that might be the worst shooting lineup in the history of the NBA. Terrible spacing for today's game.
Tim Reynolds
Senior
And1: 970

Post#9 » by Tim Reynolds » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:31 pm

Dino353 wrote:Oladipo still has star potential and they have a lot of young guys who can turn into stars(Sabonis,Adams,Abrines,Oladipo)

No.

No, no, no, and no.
ATTL wrote:Honestly you people laugh at toilet paper hoarders, but you really dont have enough toilet paper yourselves. The average person uses 1 roll per day. If you have a family of 4, that's 28 rolls a week. Over 100 a month.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#10 » by LAKESHOW » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:45 pm

DID HE SIGN THE PAPERWORK? Thats indication enough. The Thunder are sh**ing in their pants right now.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,714

Post#11 » by -Sammy- » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:00 pm

Russ used to be one of my most disliked players, but he's grown on me in the last few years; now, I'm just straight pulling for him to wreck the league (except for the Spurs, of course).

On the Denver bandwagon for the '24 playoffs; just marking time over here until Vic's two-decade domination begins
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,664

Post#12 » by hype_2004 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:00 am

This is the best situation for westbrook, it's a win win, he stays proves his loyalty, he has the team on his back, can do whatever he pleases, he can be the underdog and be the lobe saviour of the franchcise.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#13 » by WindyCityBorn » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:12 am

No way he sticks around after the season. Stars are teaming up now and no star from another team is voluntarily signing with OKC.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#14 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:28 am

I am no thunder fan but I really hope he stays. This whole super-team trend is annoying. I just want to see guys play ball in meaningful games. We won't get much of that this year, East or West.
jamesnamida
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,048

Post#15 » by jamesnamida » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:25 pm

obviously going to the warriors after next season.

curry
westy
klay
durant
green
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#16 » by King4Day » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:58 pm

Tim Reynolds wrote:
Dino353 wrote:Oladipo still has star potential and they have a lot of young guys who can turn into stars(Sabonis,Adams,Abrines,Oladipo)

No.

No, no, no, and no.

I'm not a fan of responses like this. You should put reason as to why you disagree. It doesn't mean you're wrong. Maybe they won't, but just saying 'no' could come from a die hard NBA fan or a fan who only watched a single NBA game.

Also, he didn't say superstar or even all-star. Being a star, even if just on your own team, is all you need to have a good team become great.

'04 Pistons had many stars but they weren't all all-stars and none were superstars.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,211

Post#17 » by bondom34 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:01 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:DID HE SIGN THE PAPERWORK? Thats indication enough. The Thunder are sh**ing in their pants right now.

Nah, they're good.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
VeryMuchWoke
Head Coach
And1: 7,519

Post#18 » by VeryMuchWoke » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:23 pm

This is what Presti posturing looks like. The question is, who is this for? My guess would be this is for Ainge's benefit.
"Danny Ainge needs to shut the **** up and manage his own team. He was the biggest whiner when he was playing, and I know that because I coached against him."
Pat Riley
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#19 » by hyberx » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:28 pm

Of course Westbrook is not asking for a trade. If he does, his choices are limited. OKC will trade him to teams where they can get some assets back, options would be limited and Westbrook would be tied to said team. He could walk to any team with cap space next season.

I want him to go to the East so it's a little more competitive, for all your "competitive" talk. :roll:
Tim Reynolds
Senior
And1: 970

Post#20 » by Tim Reynolds » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:00 pm

DarkHawk wrote:
Tim Reynolds wrote:

No.

No, no, no, and no.

I'm not a fan of responses like this. You should put reason as to why you disagree. It doesn't mean you're wrong. Maybe they won't, but just saying 'no' could come from a die hard NBA fan or a fan who only watched a single NBA game.

Also, he didn't say superstar or even all-star. Being a star, even if just on your own team, is all you need to have a good team become great.

'04 Pistons had many stars but they weren't all all-stars and none were superstars.

I guess when I hear someone say "XXX can turn into a star one day", I'm not thinking of them becoming the next second or third option on a great team, I'm thinking of someone you build a franchise/gameplan/team around. Maybe I have high standards.

I love Oladipo, but he isn't commanding a double team, and unless he has a CJ McCollum-type breakout year and improves his jumper, isn't someone who the defense alters their gameplan for. He's solid defensively but he isn't going to be guarding the most dangerous players in the playoffs like LeBron, Durant, PG13, or Kawhi, so no I don't see him being a "star". Solid role player though; get you some easy baskets from smart cuts, keep pace going with transition game; but he's not a 4th quarter we are down get us some buckets when the defense is dialed in type of player.(Yet)

Steven Adams is great, and I can understand the argument here. I don't consider him a star, or see him ever being one, but he is completely and utterly essential in order for the "stars" to do their job at maximum efficiency, and without him you don't win a chip. I consider him like DeAndre Jordan; not a star, but so essential for the other stars that his importance is almost the same. The difference between them and real stars is that you don't build an entire team around them; they are the complimentary pieces that makes sure it all works. Or maybe that's the difference between stars and superstars? I don't know.

I won't sit here and act like I know a bunch about players not yet in the NBA; I don't. But I am willing to bet every day of the week that those two aren't about to have Magic Johnson-like rookie seasons, and if I'm wrong God bless those players for being bosses. Sabonis is the one I'll be keeping my eye on; I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a solid rookie year in the vein of Porzingis; encouraging individually, but not ultimately making a huge impact on the win-total. Abrines has a gauntlet of wings he has to play against to prove himself, I wish him the best of luck, but I see a role player.

So while Adams is a beast, I still go with my original appraisal of....

No.

No, no, no, and no.
ATTL wrote:Honestly you people laugh at toilet paper hoarders, but you really dont have enough toilet paper yourselves. The average person uses 1 roll per day. If you have a family of 4, that's 28 rolls a week. Over 100 a month.

Return to Wiretap Discussion