Doc Rivers: It's Been Miraculous How We've Built With Minimum Contract Players

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Doc Rivers: It's Been Miraculous How We've Built With Minimum Contract Players 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:11 pm

The general manager aspect of Doc Rivers' tenure with the Los Angeles Clippers has been uneven as he tries to build a supporting cast around Chris Paul, Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan.

The Clippers have cycled through a number of small forwards in particular.

"We have a good core. The problem team-building with our core is we have three max players," said Rivers. "I don't think people understand that. I think since I've taken the job, even before then, we need a 3, we need a 3, we need a 3. Yeah, we all know that but we also only have the minimum to try to go out and get a 3. I think it's been actually miraculous what we've done with just having minimum contracts. 

"One thing I've learned with teams like ours, if you have a good team, you can convince guys to take the minimum. The problem is you're going to keep losing guys. Every year we do it. Every single season we sign guys to the minimum and then we lose them to higher contracts. Cole Aldrich is the example from this year. But we're an old school version of a team.

"Things have changed. The Big 3 (in Boston), put them together, bam, we won. In Miami, put them together, bam, they win. Golden State is going to try to do it this coming year. There are teams that still poke through. Dallas did it. They kind of had their team, they had the nucleus and finally they poke through. That's what we're going to try to do."

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/The Vertical

The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Re: Doc Rivers: It's Been Miraculous How We've Built With Minimum Contract Players 

Post#2 » by The_Hater » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:40 pm

I'm not sure what Rivers is bragging about, every season he seems to get a some decent bench players on the cheap and then he's no longer playing them by Xmas. Happens every year. Except Austin Rivers. That guy can do no wrong...
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Re: Doc Rivers: It's Been Miraculous How We've Built With Minimum Contract Players 

Post#3 » by Cookin Baskets » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:24 pm

Yea he has a point Clippers are stuck with they got and are forced to sign minimum players to fill that small forward spot. Maybe they should of let Jordan go to dallas last summer so they would have more flexibility with their roster.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
KiDdFrESh
General Manager
And1: 46

Post#4 » by KiDdFrESh » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:36 pm

Is he complaining?

Why'd he give $12 mil to his kid? What has he done to warrant that type of money? I doubt anyone was lining up to sign him.

Could have spent that money upgrading the 3 spot!
LaRance
Bench Warmer
And1: 104

Post#5 » by LaRance » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:21 pm

big 3's are to expensive to have a solid team. stick to 2 super stars and have a strong team built around those two
Pedro
Senior
And1: 58

Post#6 » by Pedro » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:30 pm

Whats "miraculous" is how Rivers is the GM yet gets quality players every season that should contribute more than they do but he underutilizes them while overloading his top 3 to the point where at least one of them is always injured in or by the playoffs. Rivers is a proven poor GM, which is strange being that he can pick who he wants from what he can afford.
Mysticist
Senior
And1: 750

Post#7 » by Mysticist » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:04 am

Rivers is a bad coach, bad Gm and a bad father (depending on your definition) period, People talk about how good of a coach he was in Boston really ?! I mean the guy had 3 of the top 50 players of all time + plus good Rondo he'd be a moron not to win, And he should've let DJ walk last summer.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#8 » by br7knicks » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:28 am

Not having success in playoffs, or winning a championship is not miraculous at all. The knicks have been doing it for over 40 years
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
Don Tommy
Senior
And1: 283

Post#9 » by Don Tommy » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:29 am

Why would they have been better to let DJ go? Thank God none of you are actual GMs. First team All NBA Center, 2nd leading rebounder, 2nd or 3rd in blocks... and he makes $6 or more than Mosgov will? Unless they could have signed Durant, DJ was by far the best player they could have gotten for that price. He meshes perfectly with CP3. What's his biggest fault other than free throws? Limited offense? Well, not everyone has to shoot threes. When he sets a screen it throws defenses into a panic. They have to find a way to watch for the lob while making sure Chris Paul isn't open enough for his favorite elbow jumper. Collapse on the lob and JJ Redick is open for a 48% 3 point shot.
The real problem for the Clippers isn't DJ, it's the money they threw at Jamal Crawford. They tried to lowball him, and other players from the team let the front office know they didn't appreciate it. The money used on Crawford should have been used to find a better 3. Baby Rivers is fine if he can play the combo guard, but he and Jamal on the court together is a net zero unless one or both are hot.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,566

Post#10 » by jpengland » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:02 pm

How about he signs legit NBA players rather than handing out a cheque to his son?

How about not signing Spencer Hawes.

Etc, Etc...

You are the GM, Doc. If you have no money to spend, that's your own fault.
Bruteque
Starter
And1: 1,176

Post#11 » by Bruteque » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:40 pm

Cap life is hard when you are already shelling out money for a Big Five of Crawford, Rivers, Jordan, Griffin, and Paul.

Return to Wiretap Discussion