Amar'e Stoudemire Wanted To Finish Career With Suns

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Amar'e Stoudemire Wanted To Finish Career With Suns 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:47 pm

Amar'e Stoudemire had hoped to return to the Phoenix Suns to finish his career.

Stoudemire retired from the NBA by signing a one-day ceremonial contract with the the New York Knicks. Stoudemire signed with the Knicks in free agency in 2010 and then played for the Mavericks in 2015 and Heat in 15-16 after being bought out.

“The last two years, we made phone calls to Phoenix but I wasn’t getting any positive response,” Stoudemire said on Thursday. “That would’ve been the perfect way to go out. I didn’t want to beg Phoenix. My heart was in two places – Phoenix and New York. I just went where I was wanted.”

The Suns added Dragan Bender and Marquese Chriss at power forward in the draft and then signed Jared Dudley.

“They brought back Jared and Leandro, my boys,” Stoudemire said. “That would’ve been a heck of a way to finish. I wasn’t just going to keep knocking on someone’s door that wasn’t going to answer.

“I love my fans in Phoenix. Most of my high times and highlights were in Phoenix. I put forth the effort to finish my career in Phoenix but it wasn’t well-received.”

Stoudemire hasn't ruled out playing overseas.

Via Paul Coro/Arizona Republic

Suns2k5
Sophomore
And1: 30

Re: Amar'e Stoudemire Wanted To Finish Career With Suns 

Post#2 » by Suns2k5 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:16 am

I wouldn't want him around my young impressionable players either.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#3 » by GimmeDat » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:22 am

Pity. Amare's legacy was in Phoenix.
irish22022
Senior
And1: 517

Post#4 » by irish22022 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:17 am

They have Tyson to show em how to bang. Stat is actually a classy guy, and is in no way a bad off the court role model at this stage. I think it's a shame he's not back.
aIvin adams
Analyst
And1: 1,978

Post#5 » by aIvin adams » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:43 pm

Suns2k5 wrote:I wouldn't want him around my young impressionable players either.

:noway:
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,890

Post#6 » by deeps6x » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:58 pm

Suns2k5 wrote:I wouldn't want him around my young impressionable players either.

Not even for one day? That is all he was asking for, a one day contract to retire a Sun. I consider it shameful that the Suns wouldn't do this for one of their brightest past stars.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#7 » by Laimbeer » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:40 pm

deeps6x wrote:

Not even for one day? That is all he was asking for, a one day contract to retire a Sun. I consider it shameful that the Suns wouldn't do this for one of their brightest past stars.

If that's the case, I don't get it. There must be a back story?
Eurostar
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#8 » by Eurostar » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:01 pm

I lived in Phoenix until 6 months ago, and last time i checked, Amare bolted to NYK for a big paycheck, Nash and Co. was still in the team so its not like the situation in Phoenix was bad for him to leave. Good for the Suns to not take him back. It left a bad taste with the fans too when he left to join NYK.
ccvle
Head Coach
And1: 1,714

Post#9 » by ccvle » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:07 pm

Eurostar wrote:I lived in Phoenix until 6 months ago, and last time i checked, Amare bolted to NYK for a big paycheck, Nash and Co. was still in the team so its not like the situation in Phoenix was bad for him to leave. Good for the Suns to not take him back. It left a bad taste with the fans too when he left to join NYK.

that's not true. Amare left because the suns didn't offer him the number of years he wanted. The Suns didn't want to commit to Amare for as long as what Amare wanted. From What I remember, the majority of the fans understood why it didn't work out for both sides.
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,787

Post#10 » by darealjuice » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:17 pm

deeps6x wrote:

No it's not, he wanted to play with Barbosa and Dudley. He said he was contacting us last year too, but he played another year in Miami, so what makes you think he just wanted a one day with us? No one wanted to sign him this year so he retired.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,764

Post#11 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:32 pm

deeps6x wrote:

No, I think his quote was about wanting to join the Suns 1-2 years ago to play, but the Suns weren't interested. So then when he did retire, he chose to sign a 1-day in New York and retire as a Knick.
lonea
Rookie
And1: 527

Post#12 » by lonea » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:10 pm

It was well known at that time Amare was gonna leave PHX regardless what Suns offered.

It was a wise choice for the Suns to not match the Knicks offer. :D

ccvle wrote:that's not true. Amare left because the suns didn't offer him the number of years he wanted. The Suns didn't want to commit to Amare for as long as what Amare wanted. From What I remember, the majority of the fans understood why it didn't work out for both sides.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#13 » by jason bourne » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:00 pm

This is such a strange ending. I remember him as a Sun. Can't explain it, but sorta leaves a bad taste in one's mouth. Does this mean Amare will go the HOF as a Knick?

EDIT: Nvm. My bad. Amare wanted to PLAY for PHX the past two years while it was just ceremonial for NYK. Makes a difference.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#14 » by The_Hater » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:35 am

Miami had three 1st/2nd year players in their playoff rotation including an undrafted player and a 2nd round rookie. Sounds like Amare ruined their development pretty bad.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.

Return to Wiretap Discussion