Shaq: I Only Played 30 Percent Of My Real Game

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Shaq: I Only Played 30 Percent Of My Real Game 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Sep 6, 2016 4:57 pm

Shaquille O'Neal will enter the Hall of Fame this week as one of the most dominant big men in basketball history.

“I only played 30 percent of my real game,” O’Neal told The Vertical. “I had a great career, but I didn’t get a chance to showcase what I can really do. That’s because the double- and triple-teams were coming so quick, I had to dominate, dominate, dominate inside. I had the ability to step out, go around defenders, dribble by people, but I never got to show that.

“I had to focus on being the most powerful, dominant player to ever play the game.”

O'Neal very quickly became a physical force coming out of LSU to the Orlando Magic.

"When I first entered the league, I figured out my niche early. Not only did I want to be the best big man, I wanted to be the most dominant. A lot of people can claim the title of the best, but only a few can say they were the most dominant. That was my goal. I wanted to be in the conversation championship-wise and stats-wise, changing the game like Mike [Jordan] and Wilt [Chamberlain] did. I really wished I could have continued out my last year in Boston."

Via Shams Charania/The Vertical

Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,717

Re: Shaq: I Only Played 30 Percent Of My Real Game 

Post#2 » by Patches Perry » Tue Sep 6, 2016 5:21 pm

He was so good inside, that if he "had the chance" to showcase other areas of his game, he would have been less effective overall. If I'm the opposing team trying to guard prime Shaquille O'Neal, I am absolutely inviting him to step out past 5 feet. I might actually have a chance to guard him out on the floor. Inside of 5 feet? No chance.

You should play the game where you are most effective 100% of the time. Just because you can do something else, doesn't mean you should. There is nowhere else on the court he could have been as effective as he was inside, therefore he should play inside 100% of the time until the defense shows they can stop him. Nobody ever did (until he got old).
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,544

Post#3 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Sep 6, 2016 6:29 pm

I believe him, his footwork was legit for someone that huge.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Pedro
Senior
And1: 58

Post#4 » by Pedro » Tue Sep 6, 2016 7:09 pm

Patches Perry wrote:He was so good inside, that if he "had the chance" to showcase other areas of his game, he would have been less effective overall. If I'm the opposing team trying to guard prime Shaquille O'Neal, I am absolutely inviting him to step out past 5 feet. I might actually have a chance to guard him out on the floor. Inside of 5 feet? No chance.

You should play the game where you are most effective 100% of the time. Just because you can do something else, doesn't mean you should. There is nowhere else on the court he could have been as effective as he was inside, therefore he should play inside 100% of the time until the defense shows they can stop him. Nobody ever did (until he got old).

well put. To put it in perspective, Shaq was more dominant of a post presence that Steph Curry is a brilliant shooter right now.
Fellow72
Junior
And1: 141

Post#5 » by Fellow72 » Tue Sep 6, 2016 7:13 pm

I have a ton of respect for Shaq as a player, but this statement doesn't really say much imo. A lot of NBA players can say this. The game at the NBA level forces you to only do what you are best at, not what you are decent or mediocre at. Sure Shaq could do a lot more with his game and had more in his arsenal but it probably wouldn't have added much to his overall value as a player. How many times have we've seen NBA players showcase a bunch of skills you never knew they had when they are in a pickup game setting, or occasionally in the AllStar games? It's because the teams systems and environment are much different and more lax. Sure maybe shaq only played 30% of his real game, but in my opinion it doesn't mean that the other 70% would have made him more effective in the NBA. It's even very possible that some parts of his other game might have taken away from his value as a player. This is where the coach is supposed to come in. They are supposed to evaluate the most valuable parts of a players arsenal and apply those parts to the team's system. It's unrealistic to expect for every aspect of your game to be utilized in a team based game.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 25,157

Post#6 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue Sep 6, 2016 7:41 pm

Patches Perry wrote:He was so good inside, that if he "had the chance" to showcase other areas of his game, he would have been less effective overall. If I'm the opposing team trying to guard prime Shaquille O'Neal, I am absolutely inviting him to step out past 5 feet. I might actually have a chance to guard him out on the floor. Inside of 5 feet? No chance.

yep. and he is looking at today's game thinking, "i could have done this." he was pretty skilled. had handle. i bet he could knock down a little banker or 10 footer if needed. but, why?

just because you can doesn't mean you should. you don't want shaq handling the ball in the lane or pulling up for jumpers if you don't have to.

for all the attention to his size and strength, he was skilled on the block. great footwork and touch to go with that brute force. his hook shot is highly underrated. it all came together very nicely. the position his body allowed him to establish let him utilize his touch.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#7 » by 12footrim » Tue Sep 6, 2016 7:52 pm

Pedro wrote:well put. To put it in perspective, Shaq was more dominant of a post presence that Steph Curry is a brilliant shooter right now.

The math is still on Curry's side. Shaq's best effective FG% ever when he was a starter was .609 and that was late in his career with the suns when Nash was feeding him and he wasn't the top option. Most years he was more of a .580 type guy. Teams also fouled him and put him on the line a lot too when he was trying to score which was a negative.

Curry had a 63% effective FG% last year and was creating most of those shots for himself as well. That's more revolutionary IMO that a guy could take the kind of outside shots he did, many off the dribble and still be that kind of efficient use of shots to points.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by 12footrim » Tue Sep 6, 2016 8:06 pm

Not sure you young guys have ever seen this.

Yeah Shaq had some dribbling and passing skills but like other posters have said it would be pretty stupid to have him dribbling around the perimeter trying to pass the ball or drive to the basket.

No doubt that he is unlike probably anyone ever to play the game physically with his size and athletic ability at that size and skill and is one of the top players ever.

I even agree with him that he never even maxed out what he could have been which was probably the best ever, I just disagree with how he would have done it. Nothing to do with how coaches played him either.

He was like the college party guy that had all the talent to have graduate magna cum top of his class but that was more interested in having fun, playing in bands, sleeping through classes, fine being a little out of shape etc but could still be impressive student and campus figure just on half the effort. Can't really even hate on that.

Ultimately I think he always saw it as entertainment(like wanting to fancy dribble and be a guard) in just something to establish himself as a hollywood type of star which isn't even stupid. I think he has more cash opportunities now and the rest of his life because of it. I'm not even a kobe fan but if Shaq had his FU attitude he probably could have had 6-8 championships and been a 30-15 type force regularly.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
HardenTime
Sophomore
And1: 21

Post#9 » by HardenTime » Tue Sep 6, 2016 8:30 pm

i wish this big buffoon would just dissappear, he is a clown just like dwight howard. its why kobe and harden probably dont either one of them
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,186

Post#10 » by moocow007 » Tue Sep 6, 2016 9:23 pm

So he was supposed to average 80ppg, 50rpg and 10bpg in his prime?
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,200

Post#11 » by LAKESHOW » Tue Sep 6, 2016 10:10 pm

No. More like 90ish. He is who he is.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
SHO'NUFF
Head Coach
And1: 2,160

Post#12 » by SHO'NUFF » Tue Sep 6, 2016 11:18 pm

HardenTime wrote:i wish this big buffoon would just dissappear, he is a clown just like dwight howard. its why kobe and harden probably dont either one of them

Don't ever compare Dwight to Shaq. Don't ever compare Harden to Kobe. Shaq is one of the greatest of all time....as is Kobe.

Dwight and Harden.....you can compare them all you want. 8-)
#BullsFansLivesMatter Image
Jazzing
Senior
And1: 215

Post#13 » by Jazzing » Tue Sep 6, 2016 11:38 pm

Fellow72 wrote:I have a ton of respect for Shaq as a player, but this statement doesn't really say much imo. A lot of NBA players can say this.

He was so dominant that NBA changed the rules because of him, to hinder his game.

Today they change the rules to benefit players like Wade and James.
Todd3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,086

Post#14 » by Todd3 » Wed Sep 7, 2016 12:46 am

HardenTime wrote:i wish this big buffoon would just dissappear, he is a clown just like dwight howard. its why kobe and harden probably dont either one of them

wat
Newzfeed4U
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#15 » by Newzfeed4U » Wed Sep 7, 2016 11:03 am

Fellow72 wrote:I have a ton of respect for Shaq as a player, but this statement doesn't really say much imo. A lot of NBA players can say this. The game at the NBA level forces you to only do what you are best at, not what you are decent or mediocre at. Sure Shaq could do a lot more with his game and had more in his arsenal but it probably wouldn't have added much to his overall value as a player. How many times have we've seen NBA players showcase a bunch of skills you never knew they had when they are in a pickup game setting, or occasionally in the AllStar games? It's because the teams systems and environment are much different and more lax. Sure maybe shaq only played 30% of his real game, but in my opinion it doesn't mean that the other 70% would have made him more effective in the NBA. It's even very possible that some parts of his other game might have taken away from his value as a player. This is where the coach is supposed to come in. They are supposed to evaluate the most valuable parts of a players arsenal and apply those parts to the team's system. It's unrealistic to expect for every aspect of your game to be utilized in a team based game.

Shaq gave it his all, who can pull down 4 rims and still be able to win 4 rings. The man is the definition of savage.
WhatsaTDot
RealGM
And1: 6,341

Post#16 » by WhatsaTDot » Wed Sep 7, 2016 11:06 am

Way past your bedtime child. The adults are talking here.

This place is insufferable.
qwerty1234
Sophomore
And1: 150

Post#17 » by qwerty1234 » Wed Sep 7, 2016 5:20 pm

12footrim wrote:
Pedro wrote:well put. To put it in perspective, Shaq was more dominant of a post presence that Steph Curry is a brilliant shooter right now.

The math is still on Curry's side. Shaq's best effective FG% ever when he was a starter was .609 and that was late in his career with the suns when Nash was feeding him and he wasn't the top option. Most years he was more of a .580 type guy. Teams also fouled him and put him on the line a lot too when he was trying to score which was a negative.

Curry had a 63% effective FG% last year and was creating most of those shots for himself as well. That's more revolutionary IMO that a guy could take the kind of outside shots he did, many off the dribble and still be that kind of efficient use of shots to points.

You mean your math is on Curry's side. Efg is always going to favor a prolific 3 point shooter. Shaq dominated in an era that favored skilled post players while Curry dominates in an era that favors skilled shooters. Neither of them are "revolutionary", merely the best at what they do.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#18 » by dautjazz » Wed Sep 7, 2016 6:46 pm

I love Shaq, but he couldn't shoot from outside 10ft to save his life. Just look at his FT shooting. FTs are something he probably practiced regularly and couldn't improve on, so why would he game away from the basket when contested? No way.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#19 » by MegaK » Wed Sep 7, 2016 7:29 pm

12footrim wrote:Not sure you young guys have ever seen this.

Yeah Shaq had some dribbling and passing skills but like other posters have said it would be pretty stupid to have him dribbling around the perimeter trying to pass the ball or drive to the basket.

No doubt that he is unlike probably anyone ever to play the game physically with his size and athletic ability at that size and skill and is one of the top players ever.

I even agree with him that he never even maxed out what he could have been which was probably the best ever, I just disagree with how he would have done it. Nothing to do with how coaches played him either.

He was like the college party guy that had all the talent to have graduate magna cum top of his class but that was more interested in having fun, playing in bands, sleeping through classes, fine being a little out of shape etc but could still be impressive student and campus figure just on half the effort. Can't really even hate on that.

Ultimately I think he always saw it as entertainment(like wanting to fancy dribble and be a guard) in just something to establish himself as a hollywood type of star which isn't even stupid. I think he has more cash opportunities now and the rest of his life because of it. I'm not even a kobe fan but if Shaq had his FU attitude he probably could have had 6-8 championships and been a 30-15 type force regularly.

You are speaking the truth. It was crazy how easily Shaq dominated while only using 40 percent of his ability. You could see that he wasn't pushing his limits and he honestly didn't need to. His competition was a joke to him just about every night. If he had Kobe or Michaels attitude he would've easily won 6 to 8 chips like you said. Either way i don't blame him for doing this. He looked like he was having a great time on and off the court and now has many TV and endorsement opportunities which will allow him to keep having a great time well into his senior years. Got to give it to him for winning in the game of life and still having health.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by 12footrim » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:52 pm

mempgrizz wrote:
You mean your math is on Curry's side. Efg is always going to favor a prolific 3 point shooter.

Math is math. He scores more on less shots. Period. It is what it is.

Shaq dominated in an era that favored skilled post players while Curry dominates in an era that favors skilled shooters. Neither of them are "revolutionary", merely the best at what they do.

LOL. Curry hit what like 25 or 30% more three's than the next closes guy ever. Ever. It's not even just that, it's the way he shoots them off the dribble and the distance.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource

Return to Wiretap Discussion