Paul Pierce To Retire After 16-17 Season

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Paul Pierce To Retire After 16-17 Season 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:24 pm

Paul Pierce has announced he will return to the Los Angeles Clippers for his 19th NBA season and then retire.

"This is it, my final season," Pierce wrote on The Players' Tribune. "It's time to move on from the game of basketball. Just like any difficult decision, I think you've got to be at peace with yourself. I'm at peace with retiring, but I've got one more ride left. One more season. One more opportunity."

Pierce averaged only 6.1 points and 2.7 rebounds per game last season.

"With the Clippers, in the city where I grew up, I feel like I have that opportunity on a great team," Pierce wrote Monday. "We're hungry. We want to win a championship.

"After 18 NBA years, it's hard to believe I'll be playing in each arena for the last time. So I'm going to enjoy every practice, every bus ride, every team dinner, every time running out through the tunnel. I'm going to do my part to give us a shot at the ultimate goal."

Via ESPN

Chris3323
Pro Prospect
And1: 49

Re: Paul Pierce To Retire After 16-17 Season 

Post#2 » by Chris3323 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:04 pm

SHEED, PIERCE, VC, TMAC.. Those are the quick ones that pop up.

Child hood heroes

Will miss you Truth.

#INGLEWOOD
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#3 » by 12footrim » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:17 pm

This dude really fell off quick and I think most of it was on him IMO. He was still a quality player at PF in the playoffs with the wizards then came back out of shape apparently only 3 or 4 months later and was pretty useless last year. He had the old man game that could have had staying power IMO but you got to come in in peak condition I think if you are late 30's especially if you will have some perimeter guarding responsibilities that's on you.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#4 » by Rated T By CBRA » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:27 pm

12footrim wrote:This dude really fell off quick and I think most of it was on him IMO. He was still a quality player at PF in the playoffs with the wizards then came back out of shape apparently only 3 or 4 months later and was pretty useless last year. He had the old man game that could have had staying power IMO but you got to come in in peak condition I think if you are late 30's especially if you will have some perimeter guarding responsibilities that's on you.

I think Doc convinced him to stay as a veteran presence on the team. I don't see him playing a significant role on or off the bench anymore. He is too slow to guard players at this stage in his career..maybe bring him on for some clutch shots, intentional fouls, body someone up a bit, etc.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#5 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:31 pm

Rated T By CBRA wrote:
12footrim wrote:This dude really fell off quick and I think most of it was on him IMO. He was still a quality player at PF in the playoffs with the wizards then came back out of shape apparently only 3 or 4 months later and was pretty useless last year. He had the old man game that could have had staying power IMO but you got to come in in peak condition I think if you are late 30's especially if you will have some perimeter guarding responsibilities that's on you.

I think Doc convinced him to stay as a veteran presence on the team. I don't see him playing a significant role on or off the bench anymore. He is too slow to guard players at this stage in his career..maybe bring him on for some clutch shots, intentional fouls, body someone up a bit, etc.

I agree but it depends on the match-up. Even other playoff teams have slow guys or players that aren't a threat to drive. Still, 12-15 minute average at best.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#6 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:03 am

The Truth, he shall be remembered
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
7 Footer
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 24,859

Post#7 » by 7 Footer » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:58 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:The Truth, he shall be remembered

...for his wheelchair act
Chris3323
Pro Prospect
And1: 49

Post#8 » by Chris3323 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:50 pm

Rated T By CBRA wrote:

Hes smart, probably good enough for 7 points per.
if he stays on a lebron diet all year, he may be great in the playoffs (for his age standards)
TroubleS0me
Head Coach
And1: 5,207

Post#9 » by TroubleS0me » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:14 pm

customs!!
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#10 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:57 pm

7 Footer wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:The Truth, he shall be remembered

...for his wheelchair act

The weight of Kendrick Perkins, no kidding.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.

Return to Wiretap Discussion