Cavs More Focused On Fit Than 'High Variance Upside Guys'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Cavs More Focused On Fit Than 'High Variance Upside Guys' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Oct 6, 2016 12:56 am

With the Cleveland Cavaliers relying so heavily on LeBron James, Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love, David Griffin says their roster building is more about finding the right fit than about high upside talent.

The Cavaliers have veteran role players like James Jones, Richard Jefferson, Mike Dunleavy, Dahntay Jones, Channing Frye and Chris Andersen playing key roles.

"We can really spend a lot more time on fit," said Griffin during Wednesday's preseason game. "We don't really need to be just looking for high variance upside guys. We need to find guys that fit the group. More than anything else, fitting as a human is really, really important for us. Absolutely, we're going to sacrifice a little bit for talent in the pursuit of a guy who hits open jump shots and is willing to do whatever it takes for the team.

Via RealGM Staff Report

NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Re: Cavs More Focused On Fit Than 'High Variance Upside Guys' 

Post#2 » by NashtyNas » Thu Oct 6, 2016 4:43 am

Are these supposed to be shots fired at Smith or something?
I don't get it... JR fits this role perfectly AND it's obvious that he gets along with the crew since LeBron fricking James is vouching for him and wants him back.

PAY THE MAN ALREADY.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
caronimo
Rookie
And1: 53

Post#3 » by caronimo » Thu Oct 6, 2016 3:40 pm

I guess Mario Chalmers and Norris Cole aren't good fits. :nod:
ishoy123
Starter
And1: 2,620

Post#4 » by ishoy123 » Thu Oct 6, 2016 6:32 pm

I_Socrates wrote:Are these supposed to be shots fired at Smith or something?
I don't get it... JR fits this role perfectly AND it's obvious that he gets along with the crew since LeBron fricking James is vouching for him and wants him back.

PAY THE MAN ALREADY.

Easy for you to say, since it's not your money.
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#5 » by NashtyNas » Thu Oct 6, 2016 7:27 pm

ishoy123 wrote:
I_Socrates wrote:Are these supposed to be shots fired at Smith or something?

PAY THE MAN ALREADY.

Easy for you to say, since it's not your money.

That's one hell of an argument you've got there...
Unless you think Mike Dunleavy can replace the product JR Smith brought in the Finals, they need Smith.
The amount of $$ getting to the Finals makes for a franchise (let alone winning it all) is more than enough to justify paying Smith, who performed all year long and definitely did so when it mattered.

I'm no Smith fanboy, in fact I think the guy is a complete tool. I am however a proponent of players getting paid what they deserve because even though they make 1000x what I will ever make, it's nothing compared to the benefit they provide to the owners. So financially, there is no legitimate reason to not pay a player that produces - ever. They will always make you more money than they cost you if they are a known commodity on the court.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas

Return to Wiretap Discussion