Re: Kyle Lowry Hopes To Quickly Re-Sign With Raptors On Five-Year Deal

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 295

Kyle Lowry Hopes To Quickly Re-Sign With Raptors On Five-Year Deal 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Oct 6, 2016 6:32 pm

Kyle Lowry unsurprisingly plans to opt out of the final season of his current contract with the Toronto Raptors.

Lowry is scheduled to make just $12 million for the 17-18 season, making his opt out decision an easy one.

Lowry would become a free agent alongside Chris Paul and Stephen Curry. Lowry would prefer to re-sign with the Raptors on a five-year deal before taking meetings with other teams as DeMar DeRozan did this past offseason.

“If you’re that franchise’s guy, and you’re the guy that they’ve been rolling with, and you’ve given that franchise everything you have, yeah, I think [the talks] should be easy,” Lowry told The Vertical. “I think it should be a situation where a guy shouldn’t have to talk to another team. DeMar didn’t have the chance to talk to another team. …

“For me, I think that at 12:01 a.m. on July 1 – something should be close. If not, I’m open to seeing what else is out there.”

“Kyle has been at the forefront of the Raptor movement,” Masai Ujiri told The Vertical. “How he goes, we go. He has helped establish a culture that will grow even more. We really appreciate that. He is a winner, and we want to win.”

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/the Vertical

12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#2 » by 12footrim » Thu Oct 6, 2016 6:36 pm

No way I'd give him anymore than 15 million a year if he wanted 5 years for a former doughy and shortish PG who will be 31 years old. That's reckless IMO. I might would pay him max for 2 years but no more.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
itsme23
Rookie
And1: 1,064

Post#3 » by itsme23 » Thu Oct 6, 2016 7:02 pm

12footrim wrote:No way I'd give him anymore than 15 million a year if he wanted 5 years for a former doughy and shortish PG who will be 31 years old. That's reckless IMO. I might would pay him max for 2 years but no more.

With contracts in the league he will easily get what he wants.

He is the Raptors best player and top 5-7 point guard in the nba currently. A position thats the strongest and most needed its ever been.

You sign up and hope he is the same Kyle Lowry for 80 percent of that contract.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,060

Post#4 » by The_Hater » Thu Oct 6, 2016 7:11 pm

12footrim wrote:No way I'd give him anymore than 15 million a year if he wanted 5 years for a former doughy and shortish PG who will be 31 years old. That's reckless IMO. I might would pay him max for 2 years but no more.

Who cares if he's short? He's still an Allstar PG who plays both sides of the ball and one of the top players in the league.

The age thing is obviously an issue but he's getting far more than $15 million in this market. Al Horford just got $28/per over 4 years at age 30.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,577

Post#5 » by Bentley1225 » Thu Oct 6, 2016 7:20 pm

4 years, $90 million. I don't want to guarantee him any money after 35 over $20 million per.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 151

Post#6 » by MitchB3 » Thu Oct 6, 2016 7:31 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:4 years, $90 million. I don't want to guarantee him any money after 35 over $20 million per.

He's not getting that little, its either going to be 4 years $130-135 Million with the fourth year being a player option; 3 years $100 Million; they could sign him to a 5 year deal and have the fifth year be partial guaranteed but I don't know if Masai Ujiri wants to give him a 5 year $150 Million.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 151

Post#7 » by MitchB3 » Thu Oct 6, 2016 7:38 pm

Behind Steph Curry, Kyle Lowry is really the 2nd most valuable PG. Yes, I said SECOND MOST VALUABLE. I can't put player whose never been past the 2nd round in front off someone who actually made it to the Conference Finals; if LeBron wasn't in the East, I would've loved to see how the Raptors were going to do again the Warriors in the Finals.

Now, we all know Steph is going to get a deal nearing $200 Million, the Warriors will get it done and will find a way, I don't care what no is telling me, he will get a deal close to that. Now, Kyle Lowry isn't going to get that near that but somewhere $150 Million should be enough.
JCruz6
Junior
And1: 20

Post#8 » by JCruz6 » Thu Oct 6, 2016 7:56 pm

MitchB3 wrote:Behind Steph Curry, Kyle Lowry is really the 2nd most valuable PG. Yes, I said SECOND MOST VALUABLE. I can't put player whose never been past the 2nd round in front off someone who actually made it to the Conference Finals; if LeBron wasn't in the East, I would've loved to see how the Raptors were going to do again the Warriors in the Finals.

Now, we all know Steph is going to get a deal nearing $200 Million, the Warriors will get it done and will find a way, I don't care what no is telling me, he will get a deal close to that. Now, Kyle Lowry isn't going to get that near that but somewhere $150 Million should be enough.

Are you speaking on just the free agents available or in general?
Because there's this guy named Russell Westbrook, who is now the sole hope of OKC and has been to the NBA Finals.
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#9 » by Rated T By CBRA » Thu Oct 6, 2016 8:00 pm

12footrim wrote:shortish PG

This has nothing to do with the contract, age and wear/tear is more of a concern. I don't see how his height has been a problem so far in his career.
BasketballJunky
Sophomore
And1: 15

Post#10 » by BasketballJunky » Thu Oct 6, 2016 8:19 pm

This is actually a real conundrum that I predicted would happen.
With this it's clear Kyle Lowry has been your best player over the last three seasons a top 5 pg the last 2 years.
He's outplayed Demar Derozan by leaps and bounds, and you signed Demar to a 139 million dollar contract.
So the following offseason your best player becomes a free agent so do you sign a 31 year old to the same 5 year contract? how does that contract look year 3 - 5 ?

Do you let your best player walk ? and build around Demar Derozan?

I was thinking a 3 year max but he has specified a 5 year... Massai and the team bout to earn their money the next few years.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#11 » by Sam195 » Thu Oct 6, 2016 8:48 pm

MitchB3 wrote:
Bentley1225 wrote:4 years, $90 million. I don't want to guarantee him any money after 35 over $20 million per.

He's not getting that little, its either going to be 4 years $130-135 Million with the fourth year being a player option; 3 years $100 Million; they could sign him to a 5 year deal and have the fifth year be partial guaranteed but I don't know if Masai Ujiri wants to give him a 5 year $150 Million.

His agent is probably eyeing Mike Conley $ as the floor in negotiations especially since Canada has high taxes while Memphis has no state tax. Also factor in the fact that philly is lacking a pg, veterans and their gm is Colangelo who loves and traded for lowry in Toronto. Lowry is Philly born and raised. Pretty sure Philly will offer Lowry the 4 yr max next summer so raps will need to find middle ground with a 5 year deal similar to Derozan who had 4 year max offers to fall back on if he couldn't agree with raptors.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#12 » by Sam195 » Thu Oct 6, 2016 8:50 pm

I think a 4 year max deal will be the best scenario - we can match the $ from a prospective sixers offer but save that extra year on term.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#13 » by likashing » Thu Oct 6, 2016 9:56 pm

He will be eligible for a 35% max contract for 5 years - $193m / 5 years

:lol:
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#14 » by likashing » Thu Oct 6, 2016 9:57 pm

Dream on. That's less than what Dallas pays Harrison Barnes in 16-17

17-18 has an even higher cap.

$193m / 5 years. Get the lube ready!

Lowry will be paid more than Steph Curry.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by 12footrim » Thu Oct 6, 2016 11:56 pm

The_Hater wrote:

Who cares if he's short? He's still an Allstar PG who plays both sides of the ball and one of the top players in the league.

The age thing is obviously an issue but he's getting far more than $15 million in this market. Al Horford just got $28/per over 4 years at age 30.

Yeah and Horford is a skilled 6-10 guy. Who cares? Can you not see the difference in a 6' PG who just finally got himself into peak shape in a contract year and a 6-10 player who doesn't even rely on athleticism and just added a three pointer to boot? Small PG's are usually the first to go. That's just a fact. I also wouldn't like that it took the guy years to finally get in top shape just in time for a major contract. Who's to say he works as hard when he had that 5 years 150 million or whatever craziness you think someone should give him. No way he's worth it on the back end. NO way. We aren't talking about elite all time talents like Stockon Paul who have the extra talent to fall back on.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by 12footrim » Fri Oct 7, 2016 12:02 am

Rated T By CBRA wrote:
12footrim wrote:shortish PG

This has nothing to do with the contract, age and wear/tear is more of a concern. I don't see how his height has been a problem so far in his career.

Again short PG's are the first to go. A guy like Jason Kidd for example at 6-4 could age up and guard SG's and even SF's on D when he lost his speed. Even a guy like Curry at 6-3 likely can play SG or off the ball and guard slower players as he gets up in years. Where the heck are you going to put a 6' guy that's already had weight problems when he can't chase fast PG's anymore?

The bigger guys can age up the line up and play up positions simple as that. Many of them already play up in their best lineups. That's what makes size important. It's ridiculous tyring to compare this situation to even bigger PG's much less 6-8 guys like Barnes or centers and post players like Horford who already play in the post.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
The_Hater

Post#17 » by The_Hater » Fri Oct 7, 2016 12:04 am

12footrim wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

Yeah and Horford is a skilled 6-10 guy. Who cares? Can you not see the difference in a 6' PG who just finally got himself into peak shape in a contract year and a 6-10 player who doesn't even rely on athleticism and just added a three pointer to boot? Small PG's are usually the first to go. That's just a fact. I also wouldn't like that it took the guy years to finally get in top shape just in time for a major contract. Who's to say he works as hard when he had that 5 years 150 million or whatever craziness you think someone should give him. No way he's worth it on the back end. NO way. We aren't talking about elite all time talents like Stockon Paul who have the extra talent to fall back on.

You're missing the point. Just like Horford Lowry is going to get paid. Period. Whether or not it's a good contract at his age is a different story.

And you don't seem to know the difference between an opinion and a fact. Just sayin.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by 12footrim » Fri Oct 7, 2016 12:07 am

The_Hater wrote:
12footrim wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

You're missing the point. Just like Horford Lowry is going to get paid. Period. Whether or not it's a good contract at his age is a different story.

And you don't seem to know the difference between an opinion and a fact. Just sayin.

:lol: YOU miss the point. I never once denied he could get that money. My point was how stupid it would be to give a guy like that money given the over wealming evidence of the likely failure of him playing that well 3 years much less 5. Where are your facts, that he's comparable to a guy like a 6-10 skilled center and will age like Horford LOL
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
The_Hater

Post#19 » by The_Hater » Fri Oct 7, 2016 12:11 am

12footrim wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
12footrim wrote:

:lol: YOU miss the point. I never once denied he could get that money. My point was how stupid it would be to give a guy like that money given the over wealming evidence of the likely failure. Where are your facts, that he's comparable to a guy like a 6-10 skilled center and will age like Horford LOL

The league hasn't had a lot of short PG's who are allstars compared to 6'10 guys but Stockton and Nash were allstars into their late 30's. Tim Hardaway was effective until age 34. And I could find you a long list of 6'10" Centers who hit 30 and started declining quickly.

Again, you're stating an opinion and trying to sell it as a fact. But keep digging your heals in and deluding yourself that it makes you look smart.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by 12footrim » Fri Oct 7, 2016 12:18 am

The_Hater wrote:
12footrim wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

:lol: YOU miss the point. I never once denied he could get that money. My point was how stupid it would be to give a guy like that money given the over wealming evidence of the likely failure. Where are your facts, that he's comparable to a guy like a 6-10 skilled center and will age like Horford LOL

The league hasn't had a lot of short PG's who are allstars compared to 6'10 guys but Stockton and Nash were allstars into their late 30's. Tim Hardaway was effective until age 34. And I could find you a long list of 6'10" Centers who hit 30 and started declining quickly.

Again, you're stating an opinion and trying to sell it as a fact. But keep digging your heals in and deluding yourself that it makes you look smart.

Yeah Stockton is the one player and maybe Chris Paul but that's just about the entire list of 6' max guys and he's an all timer. STILL you are blind if you can't see the NBA has changed as well. More space and shooting equals more room to guard on the perimeter and space for players to attack the basket.

A players offense is fine it's the Defense and where it really matters for a 6' guy and who he can guard when he loses his quickness. A guy like Nash never really even played defense or had a coach that cared and was much bigger to boot at 6-3 you could throw him on a non-offensive wing and get by better than a fat 6 foot guy. Can you really not understand any of this or that it's not watered down 1996 where lots of old players were still around thanks to expansion and pre international influx?
Where I write

The Hoops Resource

Return to Wiretap Discussion