Wolves Have High Hopes For Ricky Rubio Under Tom Thibodeau

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Wolves Have High Hopes For Ricky Rubio Under Tom Thibodeau 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Oct 9, 2016 7:15 pm

While the future of Ricky Rubio with the Minnesota Timberwolves has been uncertain since the team drafted Kris Dunn and has been linked to a Jimmy Butler trade, he still figures in Tom Thibodeau's plans.

The Wolves believe Thibodeau can have a similar impact on Rubio as he had when he coached Derrick Rose and Nate Robinson.

Rose was the NBA's MVP in 2011 while Robinson became a key injury replacement when the Bulls reached the second round in 2013.

Rubio is signed through the 18-19 season and is one of the NBA's best defensive point guards.

Via Frank Isola/New York Daily News

random_hero891
Rookie
And1: 810

Re: Wolves Have High Hopes For Ricky Rubio Under Tom Thibodeau 

Post#2 » by random_hero891 » Sun Oct 9, 2016 10:07 pm

Chances are if you've got high hopes for Rubio youre likely high hoping he's coming back with munchies.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#3 » by urinesane » Sun Oct 9, 2016 11:37 pm

I'm high hoping that you don't post anymore.
DET_Athletics
Pro Prospect
And1: 213

Post#4 » by DET_Athletics » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:54 pm

He is one of the best defensive point guards??? Someone put the clip of him getting destroyed by harden please...

Sent from my XT1585 using RealGM mobile app
e_l_f_o
Junior
And1: 143

Post#5 » by e_l_f_o » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:46 pm

DET_Athletics wrote:He is one of the best defensive point guards??? Someone put the clip of him getting destroyed by harden please...

that clip shows it all... NOT.
Check complete seassons rather than selected clips.
Llull, Llull, Llull!!
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#6 » by Killboard » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:31 pm

DET_Athletics wrote:He is one of the best defensive point guards??? Someone put the clip of him getting destroyed by harden please...

Sure, its way better to remember one play highlight from a rusty, coming back from injury rubio against MVP candidate Harden 3 years ago than quote Multiyear DRPM.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12rcLDCaJSh_b1hA3UyLG5-neayTBl_weqNVCGM0LheA/edit#gid=0
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#7 » by MitchB3 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:05 pm

Who ever wrote this "...one of the NBA's best defensive point guards." Should be drug tested and stripped of their ability to talk basketball. Rubio is what we call a statistical defender, meaning on paper he plays defense, real life on the other hand he doesn't know what defense is.
BallDontLie_
Sophomore
And1: 84

Post#8 » by BallDontLie_ » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:55 pm

MitchB3 wrote:Rubio is what we call a statistical defender, meaning on paper he plays defense, real life on the other hand he doesn't know what defense is.

who is we, no one ever says that.. rubio is actually a good defender but you probably dont watch wolves games, it's alright
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#9 » by luss54321 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:24 pm

Ricky Rubio would be a solid player off the bench, but nobody with a career FG% below 36% should be starting in the NBA.
MitchB3
Starter

Post#10 » by MitchB3 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:39 pm

BallDontLie_ wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:Rubio is what we call a statistical defender, meaning on paper he plays defense, real life on the other hand he doesn't know what defense is.

who is we, no one ever says that.. rubio is actually a good defender but you probably dont watch wolves games, it's alright

If you can show me plays where Rubio was locking down a defender or even staying in front of a player then I will agree with you.
DeezRaptors
Junior
And1: 145

Re: RE: Re: Wolves Have High Hopes For Ricky Rubio Under Tom Thibodeau 

Post#11 » by DeezRaptors » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:39 am

MitchB3 wrote:
BallDontLie_ wrote:

If you can show me plays where Rubio was locking down a defender or even staying in front of a player then I will agree with you.

Use Google, he has clips of his defense. He isn't the greatest but he gets the job done. I don't agree with you either thinking he is a statistical defender lol
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,690

Post#12 » by Johnny Firpo » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:51 am

Anybody who doesn't think that Rubio is a good defender, is not worth having a discussion with about basketball. In the last three years, he was quite likely the best defender at his position in the league.
MitchB3
Starter

Re: RE: Re: Wolves Have High Hopes For Ricky Rubio Under Tom Thibodeau 

Post#13 » by MitchB3 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:51 pm

DeezRaptors wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:
BallDontLie_ wrote:

Use Google, he has clips of his defense. He isn't the greatest but he gets the job done. I don't agree with you either thinking he is a statistical defender lol

I'm not googling sh*t, you said it, you give the proof if not then I am right.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#14 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:41 pm

If Rubio doesn't have a big ego and wouldn't mind playing fewer minutes, this could be a very potent guard rotation.

If he could learn to shoot, that'd be even better of course.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.

Return to Wiretap Discussion