Celtics Continue To Have Real Interest In Gordon Hayward

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 299

Celtics Continue To Have Real Interest In Gordon Hayward 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:03 pm

The Boston Celtics continue to have real interest in Gordon Hayward.

Hayward will be an unrestricted free agent in the offseason and the Celtics will have a max contract and a chance to reunite with Brad Stevens to offer him.

Hayward signed a four-year, $63 million offer sheet with Charlotte in 2014 that was matched by the Utah Jazz.

Hayward has been one of the NBA's best wings to not make an All-Star Game.

Via Zach Lowe/ESPN

MitchB3
Starter
And1: 157

Re: Celtics Continue To Have Real Interest In Gordon Hayward 

Post#2 » by MitchB3 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:58 pm

The Celtics are looking to a make trade for anyone, however they shouldn't be looking at Hayward, unless they are willing to part ways with Jae Crowder, which I know they don't.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#3 » by Donnyxc » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:11 pm

MitchB3 wrote:The Celtics are looking to a make trade for anyone, however they shouldn't be looking at Hayward, unless they are willing to part ways with Jae Crowder, which I know they don't.

Danny Ainge trades like Bobby Axelrod. He'll only pull triggers on deals that he knows he's won.

Criticize him all you want, but that's exactly how I want my manager to be. The 2016 and 2017 lottery assets are looking pretty good right now.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#4 » by IWishIWasHarden » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:30 pm

Of course they do -- he's white. :crazy:
MitchB3
Starter

Post#5 » by MitchB3 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:41 pm

Donnyxc wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:The Celtics are looking to a make trade for anyone, however they shouldn't be looking at Hayward, unless they are willing to part ways with Jae Crowder, which I know they don't.

Danny Ainge trades like Bobby Axelrod. He'll only pull triggers on deals that he knows he's won.

Criticize him all you want, but that's exactly how I want my manager to be. The 2016 and 2017 lottery assets are looking pretty good right now.

I'm not criticizing him, all I'm saying that he better player in Jae Crowder and trading for Hayward, would one throw off the flow of the offense and two Crowder is a better defender than Hayward.
rickrolled
Head Coach
And1: 2,652

Post#6 » by rickrolled » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:16 pm

IWishIWasHarden wrote:Of course they do -- he's white. :crazy:

he was his college coach, so this comment is stupid, hayward can play he ain't no adam morrison.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,174

Post#7 » by ozwizard8 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:33 pm

Donnyxc wrote:

He's missing opportunities.
He doesnt look to win he tries to rob other gm's.

B.King was delusional enough to give 3 consecutive year 1st round picks, pick-swaps. He literally saved Ainge's reputation for 5 maybe 10 years. 3 picks from bottom feeder Nets...
Altough Ainge avoiding trades havent brought any player significant. Draft picks also looked meh.

If Ainge cant trade for a superstar player soon, Celtics wont win anything with their 12 role player roster.
Jawz_101
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#8 » by Jawz_101 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:42 pm

Ofcourse he does. He'd be the great white hope In Boston. I bet he's still trying get Kevin Love aswell
MitchB3
Starter

Post#9 » by MitchB3 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:06 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:
Donnyxc wrote:

He's missing opportunities.
He doesnt look to win he tries to rob other gm's.

B.King was delusional enough to give 3 consecutive year 1st round picks, pick-swaps. He literally saved Ainge's reputation for 5 maybe 10 years. 3 picks from bottom feeder Nets...
Altough Ainge avoiding trades havent brought any player significant. Draft picks also looked meh.

If Ainge cant trade for a superstar player soon, Celtics wont win anything with their 12 role player roster.

Danny Ainge, job is secure for the next 10 years, as long as he continue being proactive and making sure the Celtics doesn't tank all the way.

Now, to really solidify his job he would need to trade for another star player while developing one of his player(s) (Isaiah Thomas) into a superstar. What a lot of people don't get is that before you can become a "SUPERSTAR" you need to a STAR player, it is with consistent clutch moments you show that you are a SUPERSTAR and as off right now you don't have that many "SUPERSTAR" players left, you only have star players who people believe are "SUPERSTAR". If I am Ainge, I wouldn't disrupt my team chemistry by bring in someone new, especially if they don't fit what I'm looking for. Again, perfect example of an organization whose been doing this for years? Is the Spurs, you don't see them pulling the trigger in bring just anyone, the look at their play, what they bring on the floor and off the floor, they also look at if you are all about me or all about the team; if you are willing to give up your big numbers to come play for a team that has Pop as the Coach, K. Leonard, and LeMarcus, Tony Parker, and Manu. That's who I believe the Celtics are trying to model themselves after, I mean they already have the coach, and two players they are looking to build towards the future.

I'm having a change of heart if I'm Danny Ainge I wouldn't trade away this year's #1 draft, keep it and bring in a either a Center or a SG; trade away Marcus Smart or Avery Bradley(I love his game, and would want to keep him but someone has to go).
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#10 » by SMTBSI » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:38 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:If Ainge cant trade for a superstar player soon, Celtics wont win anything with their 12 role player roster.

Along with every team in the league not named Warriors or Cavaliers.

If Ainge manages to navigate us to a title over those two any time soon, he'll have punched his ticket to the GM hall of fame.

ozwizard8 wrote:He's missing opportunities.

Such as?
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,597

Post#11 » by Scalabrine » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:51 am

MitchB3 wrote:
Donnyxc wrote:

I'm not criticizing him, all I'm saying that he better player in Jae Crowder and trading for Hayward, would one throw off the flow of the offense and two Crowder is a better defender than Hayward.

Well Hayward can play the 2 and Crowder could play the 4 so it's like like they couldn't play together, especially against most of these smaller, faster, lineups that push the pace and spread the floor that pretty much every team runs out there.

To get Hayward they wouldn't be able to retain Amir Johnson or Jonas Jerebko and it's unlikely that they could keep Zeller either unless the cap came in a little higher (Zeller is 8m unguaranteed next year). Olynyk is also gonna be an RFA and there would be a chance they could lose him too but I would imagine they would be able to keep him.

Horford/Olynyk*
Crowder/Mickey
Hayward/Brown/Young
Bradley/Smart/Hunter
Thomas/Rozier

and then they have some more picks coming this year too that they would probably be better off unloading for a PF if they could.

It's a pretty versatile team, and with Stevens coaching, I think they could probably be a contender in the mold of the 00 Detroit or the more recent Spurs teams where they don't have a true superstar player but they play great D, and have a ton of pieces that all work well together and can matchup with different teams. It would really depend on how their younger, less developed guy's (and future picks) turn out.
Go Knicks!
OnceUponADime
Senior
And1: 399

Post#12 » by OnceUponADime » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:13 am

Donnyxc wrote:

Eh Billy King basically made Danny Ainge. Yea he put together the big 3 in Boston and they won the chip once but other than that, Ainge hasn't done all that much besides the help he got from King. His draft picks have yet to work out and has many Celtics fans wondering if he's good at drafting even.

He's not a bad GM, but I wouldn't anoint him so much.

What you said is true though about Ainge rarely losing deals and wanting to win big. Because of that, I think there will be no trade made between Utah and Boston because the Jazz have a very smart GM too and he's not gonna let himself get killed in a trade by Ainge.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 6,151

Post#13 » by spikeslovechild » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:52 am

Have interest this is funny. Utah has to want to move him and Hayward has to want to play for the Celtics first. I love how Celtics fans and Ainge just assume this to be the case.

Look after what three years of begging for meetings for star free agents you managed to snag a good player in Horford a borderline star but the GSW are full of non-borderline stars and the Cavs are as well.

Even if they drugged and dragged Hayward to Boston and made him sing sweet caroline until he was convinced Neil Diamond could actually sing then got him to sign on the dotted line they could still not compete with the Cavs.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#14 » by Sam195 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:23 am

Donnyxc wrote:

Love the Billions reference - it's a fantastic show, like breaking bad but about insider trading instead of drug dealing. More people need to watch it lol. Checkout the trailer and catch up on season 1 before season 2 starts next year.

spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 6,151

Post#15 » by spikeslovechild » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:59 pm

Donnyxc wrote:

Well I don't. I don't want a GM who can only come out ahead on deals that are clear wins at the time. I want my GM to be able to evaluate talent and also ultimately come out ahead on deals that appeared even at the time.

Thats a true mark of a great GM in any sport whether it be basketball, baseball, or football. The Wentz deal is a perfect example of that.

Plus winning the trade and getting picks means very little if you can't evaluate talent/draft well. Most people felt at the time the supersonics won the Ray Allen trade. However, drafting Jeff Grenn meant they ultimately lost the deal
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,591

Post#16 » by Bentley1225 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:37 pm

Hayward will likely get a 5 year offer from Utah between $100-120 million. The Celtics would have to put up a 4 year, $90-100 million offer to land him. Utah needs to invest in their core long term as they've been on outside looking in at payoffs for years.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,060

Post#17 » by The_Hater » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:05 pm

There should be a lot of NBA teams interested in Hayward this summer but nobody is going to be able to trump Utah in terms of $$$$.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,800

Post#18 » by Psubs » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:24 pm

Utah should trade Hayward now.

Utah trades: Hayward, Mack and Withey
Boston trades: 2017 1st pick (Brooklyn), Rozier, Tyler Zeller and Jonas Jerebko
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,060

Post#19 » by The_Hater » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:11 pm

Psubs wrote:Utah should trade Hayward now.

What is the incentive for Utah trading Hayward? They've just missed the playoffs the last 2 seasons and just went all in on some veteran free agents to help put them over the hump. They could win close to 50 games this season.

What kind of message does that send to their patient fan base? And why would a young team in the upswing trade one of their core players for a rebuilding package?
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
stamp2
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#20 » by stamp2 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:17 pm

The_Hater wrote:
Psubs wrote:Utah should trade Hayward now.

What is the incentive for Utah trading Hayward? They've just missed the playoffs the last 2 seasons and just went all in on some veteran free agents to help put them over the hump. They could win close to 50 games this season.

What kind of message does that send to their patient fan base? And why would a young team in the upswing trade one of their core players for a rebuilding package?

Hayward is not worth a Top 3 pick. Not in talent or $$ (a rookie scale contract vs a max for Hayward), plus the Celtics have Jaylen as the future 3.

Return to Wiretap Discussion