J.R. Smith, Cavs Agree Upon Four-Year, $57M Deal

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

J.R. Smith, Cavs Agree Upon Four-Year, $57M Deal 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:03 am

J.R. Smith and the Cleveland Cavaliers have agreed upon a four-year, $57 million contract.

Smith and the Cavaliers waited until more than halfway into the preseason to agree upon a deal.

Smith did not pick up his $5.3 million player option for 16-17 in order to secure a long-term deal with the Cavs.

Via Marc Stein/ESPN

lekasjeda
Sophomore
And1: 8

Re: J.R. Smith, Cavs Agree Upon Four-Year, $57M Deal 

Post#2 » by lekasjeda » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:11 am

damn he got his 14 mill
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#3 » by IWishIWasHarden » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:22 am

Overpaid. I hate overpaid people. Mr Smith, it's become evident that you are now overpaid.

I hope you don't get any good drugs after your next championship. I hope you are left with the ugliest stripper and I hope the woman you cheat on your wife with has a sore vagina when you want her most.
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,658

Post#4 » by hype_2004 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:07 am

Lebron signed him to that contract, Gilbert was opposed to it but Lebron has him by the balls, he owns Cleveland.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#5 » by br7knicks » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:14 am

:rockon: :rock: :naaa: :rockon: :rock: :naaa: :naaa: :naaa: :naaa: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :clap: :clap: :clap: :rockon: :rock: :naaa:

He didn't sign with the knicks. ****
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#6 » by likashing » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:20 am

Believe it or not, it is a ridiculous contract.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Tim Reynolds
Senior
And1: 970

Post#7 » by Tim Reynolds » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:06 am

Congrats to JR! Get that money while you can.
ATTL wrote:Honestly you people laugh at toilet paper hoarders, but you really dont have enough toilet paper yourselves. The average person uses 1 roll per day. If you have a family of 4, that's 28 rolls a week. Over 100 a month.
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#8 » by TimRobbins » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:29 am

So the Cavs held back for months only to give in to all of JRs demands? Why couldn't they just make this deal in July? Now they get an out of shape JR a months after training camp has started.

That's some great management team the Cavs have.
nshidbaby
Sophomore
And1: 80

Post#9 » by nshidbaby » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:15 am

Cavs need him...really good signing.
Stay cool, stay calm, stay crazy!
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#10 » by hyberx » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:32 am

nshidbaby wrote:Cavs need him...really good signing.

Definitely. Who else on the Cavs can average 41% FG all year?
I_Never Lied
Pro Prospect
And1: 377

Post#11 » by I_Never Lied » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:38 am

hyberx wrote:

How can you still hate? Did he not prove himself in the playoffs (44% FG and 43% 3P FG?)

Man! Why you hate so much?
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#12 » by 12footrim » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:05 pm

hyberx wrote:

Clearly you don't appreciate or even understand the value of shooting 3 pointers in the volume he does. Not only at a .535% effective FG rate but the value it has on spacing and making everyone around him and their job easier. The way he shoots three's he is incredibly efficent with points to shots.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by 12footrim » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:16 pm

IWishIWasHarden wrote:Overpaid. I hate overpaid people. Mr Smith, it's become evident that you are now overpaid.

I hope you don't get any good drugs after your next championship. I hope you are left with the ugliest stripper and I hope the woman you cheat on your wife with has a sore vagina when you want her most.

likashing wrote:Believe it or not, it is a ridiculous contract.

Have you guys even looked around at the NBA where guys like Ryan Anderson and Evan Turner are getting 18 and 20 mil a year? 14 million is below average starter money for a key starter on the freaking NBA champ who himself had the 11th best Real plus minus at his position and his highly durable? You undervalue him for sure. Only 3 years of this contract are fully guaranteed and the major skill he has in shooting is one that ages the best on top of it. The guy fully accepted a role as a team player on a great team, did it at a high level, became a champion and yet people still hate on him.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
CHAMPi0N
Bench Warmer
And1: 86

Post#14 » by CHAMPi0N » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:31 pm

12footrim wrote:
IWishIWasHarden wrote:Overpaid. I hate overpaid people. Mr Smith, it's become evident that you are now overpaid.

Have you guys even looked around at the NBA where guys like Ryan Anderson and Evan Turner are getting 18 and 20 mil a year? 14 million is below average starter money for a key starter on the freaking NBA champ who himself had the 11th best Real plus minus at his position and his highly durable? You undervalue him for sure. Only 3 years of this contract are fully guaranteed and the major skill he has in shooting is one that ages the best on top of it. The guy fully accepted a role as a team player on a great team, did it at a high level, became a champion and yet people still hate on him.

Definitely a win for the Cavs and Cleveland fans... Smith is an explosive player and on a team with so many weapons, he really gives them an element they already have but no team can have enough of - instant offense. Cheap deal. Cavs somehow come out on top after this long layover. I'm sure he could have had much more from plenty of teams.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by 12footrim » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:45 pm

TimRobbins wrote:So the Cavs held back for months only to give in to all of JRs demands? Why couldn't they just make this deal in July? Now they get an out of shape JR a months after training camp has started.

That's some great management team the Cavs have.

Exactly and you can't even blame him. Why would he be working out and risk injury.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by 12footrim » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:49 pm

CHAMPi0N wrote:
12footrim wrote:

Definitely a win for the Cavs and Cleveland fans... Smith is an explosive player and on a team with so many weapons, he really gives them an element they already have but no team can have enough of - instant offense. Cheap deal. Cavs somehow come out on top after this long layover. I'm sure he could have had much more from plenty of teams.

I agree. He went for 20 million in the Dunc'd on mock off season. He clearly wanted to go back to Cleveland and gave them a discount. Still do not understand why a team like the Nets with no incentive to lose and with 20 million in cap space or whatever wouldn't have just paid him for a year. They are starting Randy Foye for god sakes. :crazy: If nothing else you have a trade asset you could move at the deadline instead of nothing and Randy Foye starting. JR had the leverage the whole time because the Cavs had no way at all to replace him and a win this year window.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
malgus
Rookie
And1: 116

Post#17 » by malgus » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:02 pm

Probably came down to take this $57M contract or be out of the league. Nobody else wants him on their team.
biggestbullsfan
RealGM
And1: 1,893

Post#18 » by biggestbullsfan » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:38 pm

malgus wrote:Probably came down to take this $57M contract or be out of the league. Nobody else wants him on their team.

Thats not true. Head case or not, he was clutch for the current NBA Champs. He wouldve gotten a deal from someone, maybe not as much. But the Cavs need him. They can't truly replace what he brings to the team without a huge downgrade somewhere.
IAMZOOTED
Pro Prospect
And1: 99

Post#19 » by IAMZOOTED » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:07 pm

malgus wrote:Probably came down to take this $57M contract or be out of the league. Nobody else wants him on their team.

Lol he just didn't want to go anywhere else
dan-man wrote:These guys are EASILY the second best team in the NBA. Time to figure out how to keep all these awful Eastern Conference teams out of the playoffs.

^ After the Timberwolves signed Jamal Crawford.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#20 » by MitchB3 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:41 pm

What? The fact that you just said that shows me that you don't keep up with the NBA. There are a lot of teams that would have loved to sign Smith, but because the rest of the league knew that he and the Cavs would get a deal done, they backed off. As the article said "Bryan Colangelo and the Philadelphia 76ers made a strong push to sign Smith, which allowed talks to progress with the Cavaliers." Which right there proves what you are saying is wrong and stupid. He doesn't want to leave the Cavs or LeBron James; he's the only one who really has the approval of the coaching staff too shoot away from the 3.

Return to Wiretap Discussion