Execs Believe DeMarcus Cousins Trade Talks Could Begin In December

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Execs Believe DeMarcus Cousins Trade Talks Could Begin In December 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:31 am

DeMarcus Cousins is averaging 26.6 points, 8.6 rebounds and 2.9 assists per game for the Sacramento Kings as they continue to struggle to field a competent team around him. Cousins will be a free agent in the 2018 offseason, which gives the Kings just three more windows to trade him otherwise risk having him leave without compensation.

“It is not going to happen unless the Kings cave a little,” said a Western Conference general manager. “No one is going to give up too much for someone who might ruin your team’s chemistry this year, then ruin it next year when he is playing for free-agent money. If they don’t see that, then I don’t think it changes and I don’t think he goes anywhere. I don’t know that is good for them or for him, either. But that’s the reality.”

Some executives expect the Kings to explore trade scenarios involving Cousins as early as December.

“I’d say they have three months, tops,” said the GM. “Probably more like a month, or month-and-a-half, because the closer they get to the (February trade) deadline, the less they’re going to get back. If you’re trying to trade him the week of the deadline, it’s going to be tougher.”

The Kings aren't ready to give up on the current season and will evaluate the team following their five straight home games.

“You have one owner in Sacramento who does not want to give him up,” an Eastern Conference GM said. “And you have 29 other owners who don’t want to overpay because they are scared the guy is going to be a headache and is going to hurt the organization.”

Via Sean Deveney/Sporting News

hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Re: Execs Believe DeMarcus Cousins Trade Talks Could Begin In December 

Post#2 » by hookshot199 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:00 pm

Not fair. I'm not a Cousins fan, but to cherry pick a quote that teams think he'll be disruptive (be a 'headache' and 'hurt the organization') is not fair to Cousins. The Celtics should offer the Brooklyn pick or picks, then open up the bank. Worst case scenario, they'll have two shots at a title. And I'm also not a Celtics fan.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,027

Post#3 » by mg » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:29 pm

Sounds like some unnamed GM (hmmm..wonder who it could be?) is trying to lower the price for Cousins.
Sorry but Love was also considered a bit difficult in the lockerroom and only had one year left on his contract..Wolves still got a nice return.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#4 » by King4Day » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:18 pm

I think teams who are not true contenders will make a run at him.

Charlotte, Philly, Boston, etc.

That way, it really doesn't matter if he messes up chemistry since the season isn't going anywhere anyway. Plus, you have an offseason to fix things.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
hookshot199
Analyst

Post#5 » by hookshot199 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:45 pm

DarkHawk wrote:I think teams who are not true contenders will make a run at him.

That way, it really doesn't matter if he messes up chemistry since the season isn't going anywhere anyway. Plus, you have an offseason to fix things.

Philly has bigs. And Boston could be a true contender. Horford turns 31 next June. IT and Bradely become unrestricted free agents in June 2018. Practically speaking, they've got this year and next - unless they win it all or go to the finals. They why wouldn't they re-sign all of them?
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#6 » by ontnut » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:11 pm

hookshot199 wrote:Not fair. I'm not a Cousins fan, but to cherry pick a quote that teams think he'll be disruptive (be a 'headache' and 'hurt the organization') is not fair to Cousins. The Celtics should offer the Brooklyn pick or picks, then open up the bank. Worst case scenario, they'll have two shots at a title. And I'm also not a Celtics fan.

It'll probably take more than just the Brooklyn picks. Sac will probably ask for Bradley and 1 or 2 picks. I don't even know if Crowder + 2 picks gets it done, the was Sac is going about this trade (even though they gave away a bunch of players for nothing, I think they won't allow that to happen with Cousins).
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#7 » by ontnut » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:11 pm

mg wrote:Sounds like some unnamed GM (hmmm..wonder who it could be?) is trying to lower the price for Cousins.
Sorry but Love was also considered a bit difficult in the lockerroom and only had one year left on his contract..Wolves still got a nice return.

Love and Cousins are in two different leagues of "difficult"
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#8 » by King4Day » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:12 pm

hookshot199 wrote:
DarkHawk wrote:I think teams who are not true contenders will make a run at him.

Philly has bigs. And Boston could be a true contender. Horford turns 31 next June. IT and Bradely become unrestricted free agents in June 2018. Practically speaking, they've got this year and next - unless they win it all or go to the finals. They why wouldn't they re-sign all of them?

I agree but Philly would have to include a big in their trade (probably Embiid). I know that might be seen as sacrilegious to talk about, but with his health being uncertain, I think Philly would have to pull that trigger. They have enough pieces to put around Cousins to compete.

I don't see Boston as a title contender without adding a star, but they are close. The picks they get are not a sure thing to be great or turn into a game changer. If Boston can add Cousins without tearing up their core, they should do it while the window is open.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
hookshot199
Analyst

Post#9 » by hookshot199 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:09 pm

DarkHawk wrote:
hookshot199 wrote:

I agree but Philly would have to include a big in their trade (probably Embiid). I know that might be seen as sacrilegious to talk about, but with his health being uncertain, I think Philly would have to pull that trigger. They have enough pieces to put around Cousins to compete.

I don't see Boston as a title contender without adding a star, but they are close. The picks they get are not a sure thing to be great or turn into a game changer. If Boston can add Cousins without tearing up their core, they should do it while the window is open.

Philly isn't going to trade Embiid for a guy who's going to walk in two years. They've invested two years in getting him healthy. His first 10 games are off the charts. If he stays healthy (a big if), they've got him under contract for five years minimum. Moreover, Cousins won't succeed any more in Philly than he has in Sacramento. Vlade has to lock him in by June or he loses him. He won't be coming to Philly. That's almost a certainty.

Return to Wiretap Discussion