Mark Cuban Sees No Reason For Mavs To Tank

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Mark Cuban Sees No Reason For Mavs To Tank 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:54 am

With the Dallas Mavericks starting the 16-17 season slowly, there have been suggestions that the team should begin the rebuilding process with a high draft pick in 2017. 

"Haters gonna hate. We think that you always compete," Cuban said on Sunday night. "If you're competing when the league is better like it is this year, if you don't do well, you'll be in a position to get a good pick. Which, remember, even if you have the worst record in the NBA, there's a 75 percent chance you're not going to get the top pick."

Cuban refuses to acknowledge this is a rebuilding season for the Mavericks as they're only a few games out of the eighth seed despite being 10 games under .500.

"There are so many teams that became four years away from four years away because guys just learned how to lose," Cuban said. "They stopped caring about any individual game and just got used to it, and you don't want guys developing those bad habits. We have so many young guys on this team, we want the games to mean something. Not to be, 'OK, who are we going to pull in the fourth quarter so we can lose this game?' That's not how teams develop good habits.

"The only way you overcome that is to have the ultimate superstar carry you through, and it's tough to draft the ultimate superstar. I don't see any Shaqs or LeBrons or Tim Duncans in this draft, so I don't think that's the right way to do it. You just ignore the haters, let them bitch, and go about your business."

Cuban didn't rule out making a trade for the future but isn't at that point yet.

"We'll play it by ear," Cuban said. "The one thing you don't do is panic. The one thing you don't do is make any rushed judgments. You see what you have -- right? -- and that's exactly what we'll do, and we'll make determinations from there. If we just can't get healthy, that will tell us one thing. If we can and we're just not any good, that will tell us another thing. If we can and we start rolling along and we think we can get a lot better, then that tells what we do there. You just don't know. The crazy thing you don't do is panic."

Cuban isn't worried about the Mavericks' draft position.

"This is not a race-to-the-bottom year," Cuban said. "So we get every chance to be as good as we can be. The team that has the worst record has a 75 percent chance that they won't get the No. 1 pick. That's not good odds. You'll get a top-three pick ... but there's no good reason to tank unless you think that there's three difference-makers. Not just All-Stars, but difference-makers.

"We'll see what happens across the course of the season to see if anybody emerges like that, but I'm not panicking, not rushing to judgment, not pulling the plug -- pick a euphemism."

Via Tim MacMahon/ESPN

qm22
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Re: Mark Cuban Sees No Reason For Mavs To Tank 

Post#2 » by qm22 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:42 am

Isn't it technically illegal to outright say you're tanking still?
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#3 » by southern wolf » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:39 am

"Haters gonna hate" Really Cuban?
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#4 » by fuller4379 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:20 pm

Last place = 100% chance of a top 4 pick.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#5 » by hyberx » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:48 pm

I didn't realize it was the haters' fault for Cuban's Mavs 3-13 record. So I guess the players/coach/GMs are the haters, Mark? :roll:
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#6 » by MotownMadness » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:04 pm

He needs to open his eyes then
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#7 » by BallerTalk » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:57 pm

If I may paraphrase Captain Barbossa,
"You best start believing in tank seasons Mr. Cuban...you're in one!!!"

:lol:
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#8 » by ChokeFasncists » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:32 pm

Lets see how Dirk plays.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#9 » by Cookin Baskets » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:36 pm

He is right but thing is the players don't tank but the teams pulling the strings might put the team in a position to lose like the 76ers. Nobody will admit purposely building a team to lose especially Cuban.Which I think he is correct saying he is not trying to tank. I mean most of time people expect the mavs to compete so them being 3-13 is a surprise. It is not the players that are tanking or not trying to win but the gms/ownership/front office that puts the team in a position to lose like 76ers.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#10 » by 2011Champs » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:29 pm

No telling what Cuban really means or thinks.
I'm guessing Mavs 2017 pick is on the trading block right now for a 30-something borderline star. We will then have to hear some line about not wanting to waste the twilight of Dirk's career in a rebuild.
mawbsta
Senior
And1: 46

Post#11 » by mawbsta » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:08 am

Seething ignorance all wrapped up in his arrogance. Cuban knows it - but refuses to acknowledge it. This team sucks.

Mavericks are

1. Old
2. Slow
3. Confused

He won't trade Dirk - we get that
Nobody wants Deron Williams
No team led by Harrison Barnes and Wesley Matthews is going to a championship.
They have one of the worst benches in the NBA

not much to pine over - the team is terribly built, and performing exactly up to snuff.
Owners like Cuban are dangerous because the GM has his hands tied to a sinking ship.
ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 1,939

Post#12 » by ChipotleWest » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:52 am

How would he know if there's any Lebron's or Duncan's or Shaqs in the next draft? He doesn't know how to draft. Dirk was there when he bought the team, the best player they've drafted is Josh Howard.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Post#13 » by Laimbeer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:04 pm

In related news, I see no reason to give up my pursuit of Kate Upton.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#14 » by FNQ » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:20 pm

I don't see a reason for the Mavs to tank either.. playing hard they are already at the bottom of the league. No need to put an exclamation point on it.

They'll get a top 6 pick and hopefully they turn it into a legitimate #1 scoring option or a legitimate top of the line PG. I would add that they need a rim protecting C, but I feel like you can find a solid one in FA if you're willing to overspend, and that's Cuban's wheelhouse. If they can land Markelle Fultz, I think that would be a huge win for them.

Return to Wiretap Discussion