Rockets Won't Lift Matched Offer Sheet Signed By Donatas Motiejunas

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 295

Rockets Won't Lift Matched Offer Sheet Signed By Donatas Motiejunas 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Dec 8, 2016 9:08 pm

The Houston Rockets have no plans to lift the offer sheet they matched for Donatas Motiejunas.

Motiejunas had two days to report for his physical and did not. 

Motiejunas signed a four-year, $37 million deal with the Brooklyn Nets that became a four-year, $31 million deal with the Rockets after they were able to void all of his bonuses.

The Rockets can still theoretically agree upon a separate deal with Motiejunas though he is technically under a uniform player contract.

Via Calvin Watkins/ESPN

The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,144

Re: Rockets Won't Lift Matched Offer Sheet Signed By Donatas Motiejunas 

Post#2 » by The Real Dalic » Thu Dec 8, 2016 11:38 pm

Morey is kinda acting like a baby right now, just let the man leave, he doesn't want to be on your team anymore!

Motie is acting like a baby too, for the record.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#3 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Dec 9, 2016 12:12 am

Possessive?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
GRidge
Senior
And1: 422

Post#4 » by GRidge » Fri Dec 9, 2016 12:17 am

How does this work in terms of him making money? Because he signed and it was then matched, does he get any of the money? Or because he hasn't reported he's collecting donuts. If he's not getting paid it'll be interesting to see how long her holds out
artsncrafts
RealGM
And1: 25,047

Post#5 » by artsncrafts » Fri Dec 9, 2016 12:51 am

GRidge wrote:How does this work in terms of him making money? Because he signed and it was then matched, does he get any of the money? Or because he hasn't reported he's collecting donuts. If he's not getting paid it'll be interesting to see how long her holds out

I doubt he gets paid if he is willingly not showing up to play. I would hope he doesnt get paid if he doesnt show up.
Harold_and_Kumar wrote:What if the 10 incher was overrated and the 4 incher was too small for any playing time, but the 7 incher was a perfect fit for our roster and the 5 incher was good for specific situations, like backdoor cuts?
EnriCela13
Sophomore
And1: 28

Post#6 » by EnriCela13 » Fri Dec 9, 2016 1:12 am

artsncrafts wrote:
GRidge wrote:How does this work in terms of him making money? Because he signed and it was then matched, does he get any of the money? Or because he hasn't reported he's collecting donuts. If he's not getting paid it'll be interesting to see how long her holds out

I doubt he gets paid if he is willingly not showing up to play. I would hope he doesnt get paid if he doesnt show up.

He's not getting paid because he hasn't shown up. Players get suspended games at a time for missing practice, he def isn't getting paid if he's just not showing up. I think he has handled this whole thing terribly and it's a shame considering the money on the table and the fact that Capella, while a decent player, isn't someone he couldn't compete against for a bigger role and increase his value for the future.

However, I don't like the fact that he signed a certain deal, then after "matching" the rockets can void certain aspects of the deal. It is what it is and if his agent was any good he should've told him this was possible, but still don't like that it's possible a team can "match" but not actually match..
Makaveli2
Junior
And1: 56

Post#7 » by Makaveli2 » Fri Dec 9, 2016 6:32 am

Then they should take out any restrictions on free agency. There's a reason these things are put in place. Morey is dealing in the best interest of the company that hired him which he should. It's dmo agent that took a gamble with a losing hand. Let's not forget it's the rockets that took the gamble and drafted him in the second round.
The Real Dalic wrote:Morey is kinda acting like a baby right now, just let the man leave, he doesn't want to be on your team anymore!

Motie is acting like a baby too, for the record.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#8 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Dec 9, 2016 7:00 am

Drama!

OTOH, is there any precedence of teams matching partial contracts?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#9 » by BallerTalk » Fri Dec 9, 2016 7:40 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:OTOH, is there any precedence of teams matching partial contracts?

Nicolas Batum among others.
Difference is their agents apparently knew how the CBA worked and made good deals for their client either way.
BJ Armstrong seemed blindsided and clueless throughout.

Nevertheless it will all be resolved soon and D-Mo can suit up and get to work trying to earn some minutes.
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,629

Post#10 » by baldur » Fri Dec 9, 2016 9:09 am

im sick of hearing the issues between him and rockets for almost over a year. what are the rockets trying to do?
nguyen925
Sophomore
And1: 13

Post#11 » by nguyen925 » Fri Dec 9, 2016 4:01 pm

baldur wrote:im sick of hearing the issues between him and rockets for almost over a year. what are the rockets trying to do?

They're trying to sign him, it's not the Rocket's fault Dmo's agent didn't read the fine print that he and Dmo ended up signing with the Nets. They may be far apart on money and long term Dmo + company may get more but right not the only people who are negatively affected by these issues are Dmo. He should have signed the qualifying offer and then became an unrestricted agent next off season.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#12 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Dec 9, 2016 5:34 pm

BallerTalk wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:OTOH, is there any precedence of teams matching partial contracts?

Apparently the incentives were denied by the league.

They had a bad relationship anyways and he was traded.
Difference is their agents apparently knew how the CBA worked and made good deals for their client either way.

Well, it's just a case of "seeming". Any evidence that's more concrete?
Nevertheless it will all be resolved soon and D-Mo can suit up and get to work trying to earn some minutes.

Kudos for them to come to agreement so quickly!
Thanks for the honesty.
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#13 » by BallerTalk » Fri Dec 9, 2016 5:44 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:
BallerTalk wrote:

Apparently the incentives were denied by the league.

They had a bad relationship anyways and he was traded.

Well, it's just a case of "seeming". Any evidence that's more concrete?

Kudos for them to come to agreement so quickly!

Batum showed up to work and honored his contract. That's as concrete a fact as there is.
He was traded at the end of that deal when the team began rebuilding.

fin.
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-

Return to Wiretap Discussion