Giannis Looked Up Jason Kidd's Playing Bio After Benching

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Giannis Looked Up Jason Kidd's Playing Bio After Benching 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jan 3, 2017 5:10 pm

In his second NBA season, Giannis Antetokounmpo was benched by Jason Kidd, which made him irate. 

“I was like, ‘Let’s see what this guy did in his career, anyway,’ ” Antetokounmpo recounts.

Antetokounmpo decided to look up Kidd’s bio on his phone. “I saw Rookie of the Year, NBA championship, USA Olympic gold medal, second in assists, fifth in made threes, blah, blah, blah. I was like, ‘Jesus freaking Christ, how can I compete with that? I better zip it.’ ”

Kidd is one of the best point guards to ever play the game but he always wished he was taller than 6'4.

“But I wanted so badly to be 6' 7" or 6' 8",” Kidd said. “Guys like Magic are looking through a window that’s so high. They can make passes I could only dream about.”

Kidd saw enough in Antetokounmpo's potential as a playmaker to use him at point guard in the 2014 Summer League and 2015 preseason but didn't really try it in the regular season under late last February.

“We didn’t talk about it,” Kidd says. “We didn’t make a big deal out of it. There was no pressure. We just wanted to try something different.”

Via Lee Jenkins/Sports Illustrated

TroubleS0me
Head Coach
And1: 5,231

Re: Giannis Looked Up Jason Kidd's Playing Bio After Benching 

Post#2 » by TroubleS0me » Tue Jan 3, 2017 6:39 pm

he didnt know who was Kidd or his accomplishments before he became came his coach :banghead:
foreigngrammar
Pro Prospect
And1: 470

Post#3 » by foreigngrammar » Tue Jan 3, 2017 6:56 pm

TroubleS0me wrote:he didnt know who was Kidd or his accomplishments before he became came his coach :banghead:

Well I guess the guys is a gym rat. No problem with that. Plus, consider, he was raised in Greece, so I might be possible he missed out on Kidd's stellar career
Flap Jackson
Bench Warmer
And1: 698

Post#4 » by Flap Jackson » Tue Jan 3, 2017 7:19 pm

TroubleS0me wrote:he didnt know who was Kidd or his accomplishments before he became came his coach :banghead:

He was peddling trinkets on the streets of Greece when Kidd was playing. They didn't have enough money for food on some nights, much less NBA League Pass and a full cable package full of US programming.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,465

Post#5 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Tue Jan 3, 2017 7:21 pm

He's 22 years old and from another country, not that shocking especially since Kidd was retired by the time he was a rookie.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#6 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Jan 3, 2017 9:50 pm

Hey 6-4 isn't short. How about guys like Stockton and Nash?

Greek Freak is something special tho. Maybe he can help their economy recover?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#7 » by Donnyxc » Tue Jan 3, 2017 10:30 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:Hey 6-4 isn't short. How about guys like Stockton and Nash?

Yeah Jason was at no disadvantage being 6'4. Similarly how G has a handicap at 6'10, you might wonder if Iverson and Isaiah Thomas have a benefit being small. Different windows through legs vs having the torso in your line of view.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
SHO'NUFF
Head Coach
And1: 2,160

Post#8 » by SHO'NUFF » Wed Jan 4, 2017 12:20 am

Trade his ass to the Bulls. I'm tired of his attitude. Let them deal with him.
#BullsFansLivesMatter Image
stl705
Senior
And1: 152

Post#9 » by stl705 » Wed Jan 4, 2017 1:13 am

SHO'NUFF wrote:Trade his ass to the Bulls. I'm tired of his attitude. Let them deal with him.

Please do!!
RaptorRed
Rookie
And1: 472

Post#10 » by RaptorRed » Wed Jan 4, 2017 5:44 am

Donnyxc wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:Hey 6-4 isn't short. How about guys like Stockton and Nash?

Yeah Jason was at no disadvantage being 6'4. Similarly how G has a handicap at 6'10, you might wonder if Iverson and Isaiah Thomas have a benefit being small. Different windows through legs vs having the torso in your line of view.

if Iverson was Wade's height he would probably be the greatest player of all-time
"We're like Tim Duncan and David Robinson," Villanueva said, following the team's morning shootaround at the America West Arena. "But a younger version. I really feel that."
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#11 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Jan 4, 2017 6:00 am

RaptorRed wrote:
Donnyxc wrote:

if Iverson was Wade's height he would probably be the greatest player of all-time

That's assuming his quickness and ball-handling stay the same?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Jazzing
Senior
And1: 215

Post#12 » by Jazzing » Wed Jan 4, 2017 10:21 am

stl705 wrote:
SHO'NUFF wrote:Trade his ass to the Bulls. I'm tired of his attitude. Let them deal with him.

Please do!!

Need to get rid of Carter-Williams first. :banghead:
rdupey
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#13 » by rdupey » Wed Jan 4, 2017 5:08 pm

Did u miss the part where he realized he should "zip it" he got upset cause he wants to be on court, kinda idiotic to trade an up and coming star. Glad you're not our gm.
SHO'NUFF
Head Coach
And1: 2,160

Post#14 » by SHO'NUFF » Thu Jan 5, 2017 12:34 am

rdupey wrote:

Did u miss the part where he realized he should "zip it" he got upset cause he wants to be on court, kinda idiotic to trade an up and coming star. Glad you're not our gm.

Can't tell if this was a serious response.

#GoBulls
#BullsFansLivesMatter Image

Return to Wiretap Discussion