Re: Spurs Sign Joel Anthony To 10-Day Contract

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Spurs Sign Joel Anthony To 10-Day Contract 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:17 pm

The San Antonio Spurs have signed Joel Anthony to a 10-day contract.

Anthony (6-9, 245) spent time in training camp with the Spurs appearing in six preseason games, averaging 4.2 points and 3.3 rebounds in 13.9 minutes before being waived Oct. 22.

The Spurs need depth at center with Pau Gasol out with a broken hand.

Via RealGM Staff Report

12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#2 » by 12footrim » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:38 pm

How does this dude keep getting money. He was never really any good, he is undersized on top of that, and he's 34 years old.

Why wouldn't you rather bring in a Johnny O'Bryant, Greg Smith, Henry Simms, Robert Sacre, or give a chance to some DLeague guy like Jarnell Stokes Christain Wood, Dakari Johnson, Keith Benson etc that are still young and actually have some upside. They really can't be any worse than Joel Anthony and there is some small chance that they might actually hit like a Danny Green, Gary Neal or some of these guys they found in the past off the scrap heap.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 11,259

Post#3 » by Chuck Everett » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:29 pm

Joel was their last cut in training camp. Spurs run a system, they need spot minutes from a big, while Gasol is out. Someone who can rebound and has a rudimentary knowledge of what they do. It's not surprising they wouldn't go with a younger player here, after all they have several first or second year players on the roster as is (Simmons, Murray, Bertans, Forbes).
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Tiesto_Lakers
Analyst
And1: 4,154

Post#4 » by Tiesto_Lakers » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:16 pm

12footrim wrote:How does this dude keep getting money. He was never really any good, he is undersized on top of that, and he's 34 years old.

Why wouldn't you rather bring in a Johnny O'Bryant, Greg Smith, Henry Simms, Robert Sacre, or give a chance to some DLeague guy like Jarnell Stokes Christain Wood, Dakari Johnson, Keith Benson etc that are still young and actually have some upside. They really can't be any worse than Joel Anthony and there is some small chance that they might actually hit like a Danny Green, Gary Neal or some of these guys they found in the past off the scrap heap.

The Spurs would rather bring in a guy who is a positive influence in the locker room, can mentor younger guys and show up professional every day. None of those guys you named can be guaranteed for that. If the Spurs were one of the worst teams and rebuilding, I would agree with you though.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#5 » by 12footrim » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:37 pm

Tiesto_Lakers wrote:The Spurs would rather bring in a guy who is a positive influence in the locker room, can mentor younger guys and show up professional every day.

Don't they already have plenty of that. You really think any players care what Joel Anthony says when Tim Duncan is working out every day or you got Ginobli, Parker, Gasol etc.

None of those guys you named can be guaranteed for that. If the Spurs were one of the worst teams and rebuilding, I would agree with you though.

The reason they have good benchs and role players is because they found guys like Danny Green no one wanted. I can promise you Anthony is not that. Infact this is a chance to take a bite at that and try to find your next Danny Green, Gary Neal, Patty Mills, John Simmions etc they are simply wasting on him. There is no way he is better at this point than any of the guys I mentioned or has 5% of the upside.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
jirrit
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,622

Post#6 » by jirrit » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:08 am

12footrim wrote:
Tiesto_Lakers wrote:The Spurs would rather bring in a guy who is a positive influence in the locker room, can mentor younger guys and show up professional every day.

Don't they already have plenty of that. You really think any players care what Joel Anthony says when Tim Duncan is working out every day or you got Ginobli, Parker, Gasol etc.

None of those guys you named can be guaranteed for that. If the Spurs were one of the worst teams and rebuilding, I would agree with you though.

The reason they have good benchs and role players is because they found guys like Danny Green no one wanted. I can promise you Anthony is not that. Infact this is a chance to take a bite at that and try to find your next Danny Green, Gary Neal, Patty Mills, John Simmions etc they are simply wasting on him. There is no way he is better at this point than any of the guys I mentioned or has 5% of the upside.

At this moment for the Spurs: System knowledge, experience, character etc > the slight possibility you'll get a diamond out of the D-League.

As simple as that.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Re: Re: Spurs Sign Joel Anthony To 10-Day Contract 

Post#7 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:05 am

Championship experience
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.

Return to Wiretap Discussion