Pelicans, 76ers Discussing Jrue Holiday For Jahlil Okafor Trade

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Pelicans, 76ers Discussing Jrue Holiday For Jahlil Okafor Trade 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Feb 6, 2017 11:03 pm

The New Orleans Pelicans and Philadelphia 76ers have been in talks on a deal centered around Jahlil Okafor for Jrue Holiday.

The 76ers traded Holiday to the Pelicans in 2013 for the draft rights to Nerlens Noel and a future first rounder.

Holiday will be an unrestricted free agent in the offseason.

Philadelphia is seeking a first round pick from the Pelicans as part of the deal.

Via Sam Amick/USA Today

luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Re: Pelicans, 76ers Discussing Jrue Holiday For Jahlil Okafor Trade 

Post#2 » by luss54321 » Mon Feb 6, 2017 11:36 pm

Wow. If Holiday is an UFA then Philly is basically trading Okafor for nothing. They just want his salary off the books.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 386

Post#3 » by hyberx » Mon Feb 6, 2017 11:51 pm

luss54321 wrote:Wow. If Holiday is an UFA then Philly is basically trading Okafor for nothing. They just want his salary off the books.

Hence the demand of pick which should be high from pelican.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 527

Post#4 » by TheCage4 » Tue Feb 7, 2017 12:17 am

While I somewhat understand why NOLA traded for Jrue, I do not see why they'd want Okafor.

The Pelicans need to pair AD with a legit two-way big who can man the middle. While Jahil has the offensive game to alleviate some of the scoring burden, he is a defensive liabilty & not a quality rebounder.

I just see the two getting in each others way on offense and not truly solving anything except for putting two young recognizable names together.

Also, if Philly gets another 1st from NOLA the fans should speak up.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
JCruz6
Junior
And1: 20

Post#5 » by JCruz6 » Tue Feb 7, 2017 12:19 am

TheCage4 wrote:While I somewhat understand why NOLA traded for Jrue, I do not see why they'd want Okafor.

The Pelicans need to pair AD with a legit two-way big who can man the middle. While Jahil has the offensive game to alleviate some of the scoring burden, he is a defensive liabilty & not a quality rebounder.

I just see the two getting in each others way on offense and not truly solving anything except for putting two young recognizable names together.

Also, if Philly gets another 1st from NOLA the fans should speak up.

Ideally, they should go for Noel instead of Okafor, but if NOLA is going to give up a big, they need something long term.
Noel is actually going to be a RFA while Okafor will still have two years on his rookie deal.
Someone could just out bit for Noel and Pelicans are left with nothing. They rather take their chances with Okafor even though Noel would fit better.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,776

Post#6 » by the_process » Tue Feb 7, 2017 3:07 am

Holiday, Ezeli, and 2018 top 10 protected NOP 1st to PHI
Okafor and Turner to NOP
Asik to POR
IAMZOOTED
Pro Prospect
And1: 99

Post#7 » by IAMZOOTED » Tue Feb 7, 2017 5:07 am

the_process wrote:Holiday, Ezeli, and 2018 top 5 protected NOP 1st to PHI
Okafor and Turner to NOP
Asik to POR

Philly gets holiday and a first but they're only giving up okafor??
dan-man wrote:These guys are EASILY the second best team in the NBA. Time to figure out how to keep all these awful Eastern Conference teams out of the playoffs.

^ After the Timberwolves signed Jamal Crawford.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,776

Post#8 » by the_process » Tue Feb 7, 2017 5:29 am

IAMZOOTED wrote:
the_process wrote:Holiday, Ezeli, and 2018 top 5 protected NOP 1st to PHI
Okafor and Turner to NOP
Asik to POR

Philly gets holiday and a first but they're only giving up okafor??

Whoops. That was supposed to be a top 10 protected 1st. Will edit.
bqmuzik
Junior
And1: 62

Post#9 » by bqmuzik » Tue Feb 7, 2017 6:35 am

Only Philly could get a 1st rd for trading Jrue Holiday to NO and then get a first round pick by taking him back, only to still end up with Noel and NO get Okafor when its all said and done.

Would have been classic if they re-flipped Noel for Holiday.
Rasto
Freshman
And1: 26

Post#10 » by Rasto » Tue Feb 7, 2017 9:58 am

bqmuzik wrote:Only Philly could get a 1st rd for trading Jrue Holiday to NO and then get a first round pick by taking him back, only to still end up with Noel and NO get Okafor when its all said and done.

Would have been classic if they re-flipped Noel for Holiday.

As far as I remember, they actually got two 1st rounders for Jrue.

As a basketball-fan in general, I genuinely feel bad for the Pels-fans, who are stuck with Dell Demps..

But yeah, as a Sixer-fan, I'd find it hilarious.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#11 » by The_Hater » Tue Feb 7, 2017 2:05 pm

luss54321 wrote:Wow. If Holiday is an UFA then Philly is basically trading Okafor for nothing. They just want his salary off the books.

OR they plan to re-sign Holiday. And by having him on their roster, they'll have full Bird rights and be able to give him a better offer.

Obviously they don't want to just get Okafor's 'salary off the books' when he's an asset on a rookie deal.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
luss54321
Starter

Post#12 » by luss54321 » Tue Feb 7, 2017 4:22 pm

The_Hater wrote:

OR they plan to re-sign Holiday. And by having him on their roster, they'll have full Bird rights and be able to give him a better offer.

Obviously they don't want to just get Okafor's 'salary off the books' when he's an asset on a rookie deal.

1 year with a team: non-bird rights
2 years with a team: half-bird rights
3 years with a team: full bird rights

Having Holiday for half the season wouldn't provide an advantage in resigning him. Philly doesn't see Okafor as part of their future and the longer he stays on the bench the more his value decreases. The move doesn't make sense to me unless NO includes a 1st round pick, which would be ludicrous because they're currently slated to pick 7th in a stacked draft. I can't imagine why Philly would do this other than getting Okafor off the books.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#13 » by The_Hater » Tue Feb 7, 2017 4:41 pm

luss54321 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

Having Holiday for half the season wouldn't provide an advantage in resigning him. Philly doesn't see Okafor as part of their future and the longer he stays on the bench the more his value decreases. The move doesn't make sense to me unless NO includes a 1st round pick, which would be ludicrous because they're currently slated to pick 7th in a stacked draft. I can't imagine why Philly would do this other than getting Okafor off the books.

Learn the cap rules. Bird rights follow the player when they're traded. Duh.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Martin1465
Junior
And1: 243

Post#14 » by Martin1465 » Tue Feb 7, 2017 4:59 pm

I think Philly should hold on to all assets and wait for the FA market to find a PG. See what holes you can fill using cap space and then try to trade Okafor for a position in need. Don't understand why rush, classic Colangelo, make a move just for the sake of making a move.

"It must have been two in the morning when we got to Detroit, 'cause nothing was open but hospitals, jails, and legs." Jalen Rose
luss54321
Starter

Post#15 » by luss54321 » Tue Feb 7, 2017 5:04 pm

The_Hater wrote:
luss54321 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

Learn the cap rules. Bird rights follow the player when they're traded. Duh.

Somebody is a little cranky today lol you must be fun at parties

Return to Wiretap Discussion