Tom Thibodeau Pushing For Derrick Rose Trade

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Tom Thibodeau Pushing For Derrick Rose Trade 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:50 pm

The Minnesota Timberwolves continue to strongly pursue a trade for Derrick Rose.

Tom Thibodeau coached Derrick Rose with the Chicago Bulls. Rose will be a free agent this offseason and could be the veteran bridge point guard the Wolves have sought to pair with Kris Dunn.

“Thibs wants to do this,” says a league source.

Minnesota would like to clear the contract of Ricky Rubio from their books.

Via David Aldridge/NBA.com

baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,396

Re: Tom Thibodeau Pushing For Derrick Rose Trade 

Post#2 » by baldur » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:53 pm

So he also intends to sign with him in the summer?
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#3 » by luss54321 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:30 am

baldur wrote:So he also intends to sign with him in the summer?

Even if Rose doesn't resign, Thibs might want to make the trade just to get Rubio off the books. Rubio is signed through 2018/2019. Cap space isn't the worst thing in the world to have. Between Rose (if he leaves) and Rubio being traded, that's 35 million of cap space cleared up.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,311

Post#4 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:24 am

luss54321 wrote:

Even if Rose doesn't resign, Thibs might want to make the trade just to get Rubio off the books. Rubio is signed through 2018/2019. Cap space isn't the worst thing in the world to have. Between Rose (if he leaves) and Rubio being traded, that's 35 million of cap space cleared up.

Might want to check that math. :lol:
:beer: RIP mags
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#5 » by FinnTheHuman » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:19 am

luss54321 wrote:

I don't see how 14 mil of cap per season until 2019 is better than an about average starting point guard for that money.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,041

Post#6 » by ontnut » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:52 am

FinnTheHuman wrote:
luss54321 wrote:

I don't see how 14 mil of cap per season until 2019 is better than an about average starting point guard for that money.

Is he really above average?

Either way, 35 million on a star player is generally better than 35 million on a mediocre pg and a mediocre something else with the new cap. TWolves need a third star to go with KAT and Wiggins. Rubio isn't that player, and maybe Dunn isn't either. $35 million might be enough to go and get a Kyle Lowry in free agency. Tell me you wouldn't rather have someone who can actually shoot, play PG for you and create space for those two? It'd be a like a better version of the current Raptors, top 4-5 in the west.

You can't waste this opportunity to develop this core properly, and playing with a pg that doesn't fit the modern requirements of PG may actually stunt the development of KAT and Wiggins. Twolves need a vet star presence badly, and you can get that with $35 million when a lot of teams are already capped out.
gcgroove
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#7 » by gcgroove » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:54 am

Freeing up cap space is only worth doing if it gets used on the right players, and we've seen plenty of examples of teams using spare cap space on the wrong players.
tribulations
Analyst
And1: 1,276

Post#8 » by tribulations » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:26 am

I don't hate Rose to the Wolves, this team is desperate for some young vets
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#9 » by moocow007 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:46 pm

Wait so if Rubio and Rose are swapped would Rubio instantly become worse than he is and Rose better than he is? That's what the stage is being setup to sound like.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#10 » by FinnTheHuman » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:28 pm

ontnut wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:
luss54321 wrote:

Is he really above average?

Either way, 35 million on a star player is generally better than 35 million on a mediocre pg and a mediocre something else with the new cap. TWolves need a third star to go with KAT and Wiggins. Rubio isn't that player, and maybe Dunn isn't either. $35 million might be enough to go and get a Kyle Lowry in free agency. Tell me you wouldn't rather have someone who can actually shoot, play PG for you and create space for those two? It'd be a like a better version of the current Raptors, top 4-5 in the west.

You can't waste this opportunity to develop this core properly, and playing with a pg that doesn't fit the modern requirements of PG may actually stunt the development of KAT and Wiggins. Twolves need a vet star presence badly, and you can get that with $35 million when a lot of teams are already capped out.

I wrote about average.

And if I thought we had any realistic chance of signing a big FA like Lowry in the off-season, then yes, I'd be jumping on that Rubio-Rose deal in a heartbeat, but we really won't be able to sign any big FA in the summer I'm pretty sure.

Return to Wiretap Discussion