Re: Mikhail Prokhorov 'Trying To Be Zen About Process'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Mikhail Prokhorov 'Trying To Be Zen About Process' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:26 pm

After a brash approach to building a title contender that failed, Mikhail Prokhorov took a step back and hired Sean Marks to replace Billy King as general manager.

Marks outlined a vision for the Nets that included a high end analytics group, a performance staff that touches each player daily with designated individual sessions, regular interactions with mental health experts and revamping the family room to create a more welcoming environment for wives and children and parents,. At the core of Marks' vision, he explained, was a long-term plan of developing consistency and excellence that would require years, not months.

"I was clear in our meeting," Marks said. "I told them, 'If you are looking for a quick fix or similar to what you did before, I'm the wrong guy.'"

"There was a humility to the ownership group when I met them," Kenny Atkinson said. "They put up their hands and said, 'We did it this way, and it didn't work. We're going to do it another way.' That's got to be hard, especially for a billionaire who has been extremely successful."

Prokhorov declined a phone interview with ESPN, saying his English is not good. He instead emailed: "There is no shortcut to a championship." Initially, his approach was to run the Nets "in the same way I've approached my business, which, by the way, has brought considerable success. That is to say, throw everything you've got at a challenge, and you're bound to be the victor."

Yet Prokhorov acknowledges Brooklyn's current situation is different, and that winning "requires the patience to build, step by step."

Prokhorov was asked if he'll continue to be patient.

"I try to be zen about it," Prokhorov writes. "It's a process, as they say."

Via Jackie MacMullan/ESPN

Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#2 » by Donnyxc » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:45 pm

Thank you Mikhail for not thinking Long Term. For some reason you decided it was worth sending years worth of future 1st round picks for two 35+ year old Hall of Famers. Not only did you make your Team worse, but you screwed over your rebuilding process as insurance.

Nets fans, you deserve better. Hopefully Sean Marks puts you back on track after 2018. I've been to Barclay's Center, it's actually a pretty cool arena.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#3 » by The_Hater » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:08 pm

Donnyxc wrote:Thank you Mikhail for not thinking Long Term. For some reason you decided it was worth sending years worth of future 1st round picks for two 35+ year old Hall of Famers. Not only did you make your Team worse, but you screwed over your rebuilding process as insurance.

Nets fans, you deserve better. Hopefully Sean Marks puts you back on track after 2018. I've been to Barclay's Center, it's actually a pretty cool arena.

While that might have been the owners direction, Billy King still deserves the most criticism for brokering all those terrible trades. You can still have a short term goals without completely mortgaging 6-7 years into the future.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
blitz41
Rookie
And1: 759

Post#4 » by blitz41 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:29 pm

Ive said it before, i think prokhorov might actually end up being one of the better owners the league has. He dropped a ton of money to try and bring a contender immediately to brooklyn, hiring billy king to build that contender was the mistake.
6_Rings
RealGM
And1: 2,891

Post#5 » by 6_Rings » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:13 pm

at least they realized their mistake/s and are willing to learn from it with an eye on the prize.

Bulls mgmt jsut want to make the playoffs and make money each season.
El Turco wrote:Nothing wrong with men shaking their ass while other men in tights jump on top of each other.
streets talking
Senior
And1: 31

Post#6 » by streets talking » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:00 pm

GMs dont care about rookies anymore
because most of those rookie wont be a game-changer before a couple of years, and by the time they become superstar, it will be their contract year and they will be gone
just look at OKC how they drafted all the best rookies and developped them and then lost HARDEN & DURANT for nothing once they were good enough for higher goals
watch ben simmons leaving 76ers once he gets superstars status next just like demarcus cousins & D12
thats why washington and other teams have traded their draft picks this year even if its the deepest draft in the last decade

Return to Wiretap Discussion