Bulls Remove Nikola Mirotic From Rotation

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Bulls Remove Nikola Mirotic From Rotation 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:32 pm

Nikola Mirotic has been removed from the Chicago Bulls' rotation by Fred Hoiberg. Mirotic will be a restricted free agent in the offseason.

"He told me that I'm out of the rotation," said Mirotic, who hasn't played in two games and was inactive for Sunday's matchup with the Celtics. "That I need to stay ready, but he didn't give me any expectation that I would [or] when I can play. Just 'stay ready.'

"I know that I'm ready. I know I can help those guys. Of course I've been inconsistent, not just me, all the team up and down -- but to be in this kind of situation, out of the rotation, doesn't make sense for me."

After a strong March in his rookie season, Mirotic was thought to be one of the best young players in the league.

Mirotic admitted it is difficult to stay positive in his situation.

"It's a very good question," Mirotic said. "It is hard. It is very hard. There's not too many things I can do right now. It looks like it's not up to me. It's up to Coach. I've always been a good teammate, always [been] professional, so I'm going to stay in that way. Do my work and wait."

The Bulls were seeking a first round pick for Mirotic at the deadline.

Mirotic was asked if he wished the Bulls would have just moved him at the deadline. He paused several moments before saying, "No."

"I came to Chicago because I wanted to play here," Mirotic said. "They drafted me, they did everything they were supposed to do, they waited for me. And for me it was like another opportunity after the [deadline]. I really was focused, working hard on myself, being the first guy in the weight room, working some extra shots. Doing everything I was supposed to do to be ready. I was feeling much better on the floor, but they made the decision they've made. It's been hard."

Via Nick Friedell/ESPN

luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Re: Bulls Remove Nikola Mirotic From Rotation 

Post#2 » by luss54321 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:40 pm

Mirotic won't be on the team next year, so the Bulls want to use the last 20 games to evaluate other young players. It's hard to defend Mirotic at this point. He's shooting 38% FG and 30% 3PT while playing bad defense. This was a contract year for Mirotic and he didn't perform. With that being said, if the Bulls are tanking/evaluating young talent then why are Wade and Rono still playing...? The lack of direction for this team is truly pathetic. The Bulls could start 5 literal turds and Gar/Pax would still have their jobs. The harsh reality is the Bulls are an organization that's concerned with making money and maintaining the status quo. Wining would be great, but it's not a priority for ownership.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#3 » by Bentley1225 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:16 pm

Will be interesting to see what the Bulls roster looks like next season. Mirotic will be gone now, Carter-Williams Im sure wont be matched with Payne/Grant under contract and Wade will likely opt out to play for a contending team for the last 2-3 years of his career. Bottom line is, what direction is this team going in?
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,013

Post#4 » by vxmike » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:27 pm

luss54321 wrote:Mirotic won't be on the team next year, so the Bulls want to use the last 20 games to evaluate other young players. It's hard to defend Mirotic at this point. He's shooting 38% FG and 30% 3PT while playing bad defense. This was a contract year for Mirotic and he didn't perform. With that being said, if the Bulls are tanking/evaluating young talent then why are Wade and Rono still playing...? The lack of direction for this team is truly pathetic. The Bulls could start 5 literal turds and Gar/Pax would still have their jobs. The harsh reality is the Bulls are an organization that's concerned with making money and maintaining the status quo. Wining would be great, but it's not a priority for ownership.

Niko's defense is much improved. At this point he's a better defensive player than offensive player. He's a shooter who can't shoot but this is partially on his bad shot selection. He should sign with MIN and play for Thibs who was much better for his career.
Pukovnik
Senior
And1: 168

Post#5 » by Pukovnik » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:29 pm

It's ridiculous to blame everything on Mirotic which seems to be happening right now. That whole team is a one big mess, it seems even Butler and Wade have given up. You really need to look long and hard to find worst coach then Hoiberg.

If Jerry Reinsdorf doesn't fire Paxon, Forman and Hoiberg this summer then he is an idiot. The first two destroyed this franchise. They need new people.
Pukovnik
Senior
And1: 168

Post#6 » by Pukovnik » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:30 pm

luss54321 wrote:Mirotic won't be on the team next year, so the Bulls want to use the last 20 games to evaluate other young players. It's hard to defend Mirotic at this point. He's shooting 38% FG and 30% 3PT while playing bad defense. This was a contract year for Mirotic and he didn't perform. With that being said, if the Bulls are tanking/evaluating young talent then why are Wade and Rono still playing...? The lack of direction for this team is truly pathetic. The Bulls could start 5 literal turds and Gar/Pax would still have their jobs. The harsh reality is the Bulls are an organization that's concerned with making money and maintaining the status quo. Wining would be great, but it's not a priority for ownership.

That would make sense if they are already preparing for lottery. But, they are still chasing playoffs and giving up on Mirotic is ridiculous, especially as the guys who are suppose to replace him are even worse.
streets talking
Senior
And1: 31

Post#7 » by streets talking » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:44 pm

nba been looking down on euro players since day1
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#8 » by Rated T By CBRA » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:10 pm

streets talking wrote:nba been looking down on euro players since day1

Luckily Jokic, Saric, Schroeder, Porzingis & co. are going to challenged that POV. Especially now since Disco Dirk has made his way into the history books.
ralphisBullsFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 430

Post#9 » by ralphisBullsFan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:19 pm

Dead on. which is why I didn't re up my season tickets this year. I will not help garpax keep their jobs. Even though Bulls fans will keep selling out the United Center, I won't be apart of it.
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,406

Post#10 » by theman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:17 pm

Pukovnik wrote:It's ridiculous to blame everything on Mirotic which seems to be happening right now. That whole team is a one big mess, it seems even Butler and Wade have given up. You really need to look long and hard to find worst coach then Hoiberg.

If Jerry Reinsdorf doesn't fire Paxon, Forman and Hoiberg this summer then he is an idiot. The first two destroyed this franchise. They need new people.

It is shocking that the Bulls moved away from a quality coach like Tibs to hire Hoiberg.

Was is Chicago's record since Hoiberg benched Mirotic?
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
Future Coach
Assistant Coach
And1: 468

Post#11 » by Future Coach » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:33 pm

ralphisBullsFan wrote:

Dead on. which is why I didn't re up my season tickets this year. I will not help garpax keep their jobs. Even though Bulls fans will keep selling out the United Center, I won't be apart of it.

Gar/Pax have certainly been terrible, and this is just another example of it. The team is clearly directionless. There was even that story about how the team sponsors (corporations) were not in favor of a complete rebuild because it decreased the value of their sponsorships, so they went out and get Rondo and Wade to push for the playoffs.

Now with the trade of Gibson it seems they are just blindly throwing darts and seeing what sticks. First Jerian Grant was the young PG they wanted. Then Rondo to help run the team to the playoffs. Then it is now Payne who is the young guard they wanted.... Never mind Grant. And to get Payne they traded Gibson (arguably the primary reason the Bulls are good at rebounding, and thus staying competitive) + McDermott who they traded much more for than they received.

Losing deals all around. All around terrible. And now adding the upcoming loss of Mirotic in Free Agency for nothing. Bulls love letting players/assets walk away for nothing in return.

Worst part of it is that Ownership is completely clueless. Jerry no longer cares. It's all on his Son now, who happens to be great friends with Gar - and their wives are also great friends and run the Bulls charity together. So in order for anything to change little Reinsdorf would have to decide that he needs to fire his friend Gar - and likely his wife too - but he doesn't seem to have anyone he trusts to help guide him to that decision... As his trusted "basketball" person is Gar. F'n terrible for Bulls fans how Gar has so firmly tangled himself into the organization.

And Hoiberg sucks too, but him and his guaranteed $ isn't going anywhere yet. Maybe he will be fired by the all-star break next season, but not before. That would be paying out too much money, and they just got done paying Thibs for his firing.

The only potential likely escape from this mess is Wade coming out and publicly blasting management, which may be possible because the Heat are now a better team than the Bulls, which is not what he signed up for. I don't usually support players publicly blasting management and/or coaches, but the Bulls need it to happen. The other thing that could make them wakeup is a decrease in ticket sales, but Jordan assured that wouldn't be an issue many moons ago
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#12 » by Yuri Vaultin » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:11 pm

Remembering that Butler implied that he was threatened by GarPax to get buried to kill his value in free agency, might this be them doing that to Mirotic?

He is third on that team in win share and one of their top scorers.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
Bruteque
Starter
And1: 1,176

Post#13 » by Bruteque » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:18 pm

This is why Hoiberg is CHI head coach and not Thibs.

If GarPax had told Thibs to bury Mirotic to kill his value in free agency, Thibs would have told GarPax to go **** themselves.
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,148

Post#14 » by Diggr14 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:02 pm

Rated T By CBRA wrote:
streets talking wrote:nba been looking down on euro players since day1

Luckily Jokic, Saric, Schroeder, Porzingis & co. are going to challenged that POV. Especially now since Disco Dirk has made his way into the history books.

How do you forget the best Euro of them all currently... Giannis?
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
masgi
Junior
And1: 416

Post#15 » by masgi » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:23 am

So clearly there's some BS being flung around, because Niko played 30 mins tonight
BorkLazer
Senior
And1: 427

Post#16 » by BorkLazer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:29 am

masgi wrote:So clearly there's some BS being flung around, because Niko played 30 mins tonight

And scored 24 points... including 5 treys lol
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#17 » by MitchB3 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:16 am

The Bulls organizations needs to hit the reset button and rebuild everything. Get rid of Butler, Rondo, Wade, and Mirotic; keep Robin because he's on a contract that is very friendly to the team. You have MCW, Cameron Payne, Denzel Valentine, Bobby Portis, who are all young players you can build around for the future, and in his loaded draft class you definitely get a SF somewhere in the top-15.
bqmuzik
Junior
And1: 62

Post#18 » by bqmuzik » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:43 am

He was actually drafted by Minnesota
e_l_f_o
Junior
And1: 143

Post#19 » by e_l_f_o » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:23 am

Hoiberg :banghead:
Llull, Llull, Llull!!
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,387

Post#20 » by baldur » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:43 am

i read this news and then checked the boxscore of bulls' today's game, he probably performed one of his bests this season. seriously, whats going on?

Return to Wiretap Discussion