Pacers Talked Paul George Trade With At Least Celtics, Suns, 76ers, Nuggets

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Pacers Talked Paul George Trade With At Least Celtics, Suns, 76ers, Nuggets 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:09 pm

The Indiana Pacers discussed a Paul George trade with at least the Boston Celtics, Phoenix Suns, Philadelphia 76ers and Denver Nuggets at the trade deadline.

The Pacers never appeared serious about actually trading George.

George wants to play for a contender and can be a free agent in 2018.

George has been linked to the Los Angeles Lakers as the place he would like to play if he leaves Indiana.

Via Zach Lowe/ESPN

King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Re: Pacers Talked Paul George Trade With At Least Celtics, Suns, 76ers, Nuggets 

Post#2 » by King4Day » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:37 pm

Reading the article, it says, "The Pacers engaged at least the Celtics, Sixers, Hawks and Nuggets in trade talks for George at the deadline, though they never appeared serious about moving him, per league sources."

Nothing about Phoenix though.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,724

Post#3 » by 76thBearCub » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:02 pm

I guess he hasn't watched the Lakers play in quite some time.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,734

Post#4 » by the_process » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:25 pm

DarkHawk wrote:Reading the article, it says, "The Pacers engaged at least the Celtics, Sixers, Hawks and Nuggets in trade talks for George at the deadline, though they never appeared serious about moving him, per league sources."

If the Hawks were originally written here, it has since been edited to reflect the Suns.
Alonzo_Morning
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,624

Post#5 » by Alonzo_Morning » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:35 pm

Indy never seemed serious about a PG trade, yet possibly talked to 29 clubs about a PG trade

Ok Zach
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#6 » by 12footrim » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:41 pm

They should, he's way overrated anyway. What other "superstar" has an 18.7 PER. You could argue he was a 2 way player playing good D but he's not bringing it on D anymore either #217 Defensive RPM too.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
King4Day
RealGM

Post#7 » by King4Day » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:52 pm

the_process wrote:
DarkHawk wrote:Reading the article, it says, "The Pacers engaged at least the Celtics, Sixers, Hawks and Nuggets in trade talks for George at the deadline, though they never appeared serious about moving him, per league sources."

If the Hawks were originally written here, it has since been edited to reflect the Suns.

Could be. I was just going by the Zach lowe article he referenced. None the less, I'm glad Phoenix didn't try getting him.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,483

Post#8 » by bwgood77 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:28 pm

I was just going to post the same thing. I'll see if this can be fixed.
andy249
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#9 » by andy249 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:56 pm

12footrim wrote:They should, he's way overrated anyway. What other "superstar" has an 18.7 PER. You could argue he was a 2 way player playing good D but he's not bringing it on D anymore either #217 Defensive RPM too.

This is a bit of an overstatement.
He may never be a top five player which some predicted, but he has culmination VORP of +20 in essentially 6 years of play.
Keep in mind that his VORP is higher than Boogie Cousins or DeAndre.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by 12footrim » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:39 pm

andy249 wrote:
12footrim wrote:They should, he's way overrated anyway. What other "superstar" has an 18.7 PER. You could argue he was a 2 way player playing good D but he's not bringing it on D anymore either #217 Defensive RPM too.

He may never be a top five player which some predicted, but he has culmination VORP of +20 in essentially 6 years of play.

You had Scottie Pippen's dumbass calling him a top 5 player on the Jump tradeline show just a month ago. The guy is often mentioned in the same sentence as Kawhi and Jimmy Bultler which is a joke. Maybe 3 or 4 years ago before they left him in the dust.

Why does it even matter what a player did 3 years ago much less 6 like you are citing? I'm talking about this year and more importantly how he projects moving forward. He's about to turn 27 in a month. This is the exact moment a player usually starts declining if they already haven't peaked. The chances he's the rare player that could actually start improving at 27 years old is few and far between. He's been basically the same 16 to 20 PER player his whole career even before the injury which I don't think you can blame. Maybe you could pump up his D before a few years go but that's gone today.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#11 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:52 pm

12footrim wrote:
andy249 wrote:

You had Scottie Pippen's dumbass calling him a top 5 player on the Jump tradeline show just a month ago. The guy is often mentioned in the same sentence as Kawhi and Jimmy Bultler which is a joke. Maybe 3 or 4 years ago before they left him in the dust.

Why does it even matter what a player did 3 years ago much less 6 like you are citing? I'm talking about this year and more importantly how he projects moving forward. He's about to turn 27 in a month. This is the exact moment a player usually starts declining if they already haven't peaked. The chances he's the rare player that could actually start improving at 27 years old is few and far between. He's been basically the same 16 to 20 PER player his whole career even before the injury which I don't think you can blame. Maybe you could pump up his D before a few years go but that's gone today.

Since when is 27 when a player begins declining??? :o

I still think I'd take him over Butler, but he doesn't hold a candle to Kawhi, that's for sure.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
andy249
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#12 » by andy249 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:02 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
12footrim wrote:
andy249 wrote:

Since when is 27 when a player begins declining??? :o

I still think I'd take him over Butler, but he doesn't hold a candle to Kawhi, that's for sure.

Other people's assessment of George shouldn't be confused with ours.
I don't think he's a top 5 player, but still think he has top 10 potential.
I agree with vincecarter4pres that its way too early to consider age 27 as an age where players decline.
Its common to see a player's max production ages 25-26, but not unheard for a player to produce at a high level until age 32.
ToJoBuckets
Freshman
And1: 10

Post#13 » by ToJoBuckets » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:17 pm

I have a feeling this is a tester for a draft day trade. Just me?

P. George/A. Jefferson --Deng, Russel Ingram and draft picks both ways Lakers getting the better of the picks (this is a very wild but I think Lakers would like to start over with a George and Ball and know what they are going Fwd with vs waiting to see how this all pans out)
King4Day
RealGM

Post#14 » by King4Day » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:31 pm

ToJoBuckets wrote:I have a feeling this is a tester for a draft day trade. Just me?

P. George/A. Jefferson --Deng, Russel Ingram and draft picks both ways Lakers getting the better of the picks (this is a very wild but I think Lakers would like to start over with a George and Ball and know what they are going Fwd with vs waiting to see how this all pans out)

I'm not sure the Pacers would do the deal without the Lakers 1st rounder this year. Maybe swap Russell for the pick.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by 12footrim » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:01 pm

andy249 wrote:
Other people's assessment of George shouldn't be confused with ours.

That's a former hall of fame players on an ESPN platform spreading this nonsense.

I don't think he's a top 5 player, but still think he has top 10 potential.

with 50+ statistical breakdown's this year. That's all I'm saying.

I agree with vincecarter4pres that its way too early to consider age 27 as an age where players decline.
Its common to see a player's max production ages 25-26, but not unheard for a player to produce at a high level until age 32.

Sure they can but it's usually a gradual decline. He's declining from 18.7 PER and poor #217 Defensive RPM. That's not much more than league average PER even already.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by 12footrim » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:07 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Since when is 27 when a player begins declining??? :o

Butler 24.6 PER
George 18.7

Butler #3 RPM overall
George #53

Butler #36 Defensive RPM
George #217

As far as decline. Generally a player peaks and has their best statistical season between 25-27 years old. Your athletic peak is around 23 years old. The more athletic players usually peak out closer to 25 with the more skilled 27/28 one would assume because they are still learning and building skills like shooting. Bigs can be a little more random from what I've found but by in large with few examples that's it's 25-27 years old is peak. George is about to decline if he hasn't already which the numbers actually suggest he already has started.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by 12footrim » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:20 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Since when is 27 when a player begins declining??? :o

Here is a list of all time greats best 2 highest rated Player Efficiency Rating best seasons by age

Jordan

Lebron

Shaq

D. Robinson

Paul

Wade

Barkley

Duncan

Magic

Malone (steriods?)

Akeem

Pippen

Bird

Dirk

Kobe

Garnett

McGrady

DHoward

Gasol

Drexler

Ewing

Webber

Iverson

Carmelo

Nash

Pierce

Vince

McHale

Payton

Marion

Mullin

Reggie

I. Thomas

Stockton

Allen

You don't see many athletic wings peaking out in their 30's. Usually the bigs or PG's with size and skill that age better.

These are hall of famers too that have extra talent to give too. For the more average players it's usually starker contrast. You look at the super athletes like Jordan, Lebron, Shaq, Vince, Dwight. They typically peak earlier
Where I write

The Hoops Resource

Return to Wiretap Discussion