Robin Lopez, Serge Ibaka Ejected After Exchanging Punches

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Robin Lopez, Serge Ibaka Ejected After Exchanging Punches 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:16 am

Robin Lopez and Serge Ibaka were ejected from Tuesday's game after exchanging punches.

Ibaka snached a rebound away from Lopez and elbowed the back of Lopez. Lopez responded by swiping at the ball. Ibaka shoved Lopez and then Lopez threw a punch at Ibaka that missed. Ibaka then retaliated with a punch of his own that grazed Lopez's head.

Ibaka and Lopez continued to go at each other, which led to several other players and assistant coaches from each bench joining the fray.

The two players continued to lob harsh words at each other and were separated by teammates.

Via ESPN

FreeSpiritNY
Veteran
And1: 1,285

Re: Robin Lopez, Serge Ibaka Ejected After Exchanging Punches 

Post#2 » by FreeSpiritNY » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:16 am

its about dam time. Todays nba players would go home and cry there eyes out if they played in the 80's 90's
IAMZOOTED
Pro Prospect
And1: 99

Post#3 » by IAMZOOTED » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:39 am

They should both take boxing lessons from rougned odor.
dan-man wrote:These guys are EASILY the second best team in the NBA. Time to figure out how to keep all these awful Eastern Conference teams out of the playoffs.

^ After the Timberwolves signed Jamal Crawford.
Mr Gametime
Junior
And1: 117

Post#4 » by Mr Gametime » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:40 am

If the league gives out suspensions how long will they be and when will the decision be made?
When the rich rob the poor it's called business, when the poor fight back it's called violence.
draftnightsuit
Analyst
And1: 6,576

Post#5 » by draftnightsuit » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:30 am

JoeypopsNY wrote:its about dam time. Todays nba players would go home and cry there eyes out if they played in the 80's 90's

Only because they'd be forced to watch crappy basketball every night.
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#6 » by IWishIWasHarden » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:50 am

That's the first time I've ever heard of a punch gazing anyone. Was it in love or?
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,334

Post#7 » by MP4LIFE » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:33 am

draftnightsuit wrote:
JoeypopsNY wrote:its about dam time. Todays nba players would go home and cry there eyes out if they played in the 80's 90's

Lol at crappy basketball. You must be very young.

The game was way better when it wasn't a soft 3 point fest. Back when playing defense and dominating the paint was the way to victory. That was how the game has always been played. And for the record, I'm not an old head. I'm 27. But I realize facts when I see them.
FreeSpiritNY
Veteran
And1: 1,285

Post#8 » by FreeSpiritNY » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:47 am

MP4LIFE wrote:
draftnightsuit wrote:

The game was way better when it wasn't a soft 3 point fest. Back when playing defense and dominating the paint was the way to victory. That was how the game has always been played. And for the record, I'm not an old head. I'm 27. But I realize facts when I see them.

How can you misinturpet me say that TODAYS "NBA PLAYERS" WOULD GO HOME AND CRY THERE EYES OUT IF THEY PLAYED IN THE 80'S-90'S

You do realize I'm saying that todays league it full of pus-z

80-90's was the best time in basketball when you can actually fight for position and work in the paint now all these players flop or whine for a foul call and now even was to rest. :banghead:
Rek
Senior
And1: 128

Post#9 » by Rek » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:05 am

JoeypopsNY wrote:
MP4LIFE wrote:
draftnightsuit wrote:

How can you misinturpet me say that TODAYS "NBA PLAYERS" WOULD GO HOME AND CRY THERE EYES OUT IF THEY PLAYED IN THE 80'S-90'S

You do realize I'm saying that todays league it full of pus-z

80-90's was the best time in basketball when you can actually fight for position and work in the paint now all these players flop or whine for a foul call and now even was to rest. :banghead:

He didn't misinterpret you at all. He wasn't replying to you. Pretty clear he was responding to:
draftnightsuit
Analyst
And1: 6,576

Post#10 » by draftnightsuit » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:32 pm

MP4LIFE wrote:
draftnightsuit wrote:

Nobody was playing any defense in the '80s. Watching a bunch of skinny twigs who can't shoot exchange layups isn't what I call good basketball.
Jim Dolan
Starter
And1: 470

Post#11 » by Jim Dolan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:03 pm

^ atleast they werent all hugging and kissing before and after the game like todays players or constantly trying to form superteams
chipchipperson
Junior
And1: 80

Post#12 » by chipchipperson » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:28 pm

Jim Dolan wrote:^ atleast they werent all hugging and kissing before and after the game like todays players or constantly trying to form superteams

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/0c/65/5a/0c655a1e2f4a949b66630fb9d63cd5b1.jpg
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Post#13 » by ontnut » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:30 pm

MP4LIFE wrote:
draftnightsuit wrote:

I guess that's why they had to make a bunch of rule changes in the 80s and 90s to increase the excitement of the game.
I guess if you enjoy watching a bunch of lumbering 7 footers with no touch, and a bunch of people out there literally only for the 6 fouls, then the old game is better. The old game had its benefits, yes players had to be tougher, but the product itself was much, much less popular than it is now. It's like in the NHL. It used to be dirty, rough, fights every period etc. The product is better now, but there's still people out there that think the game is way too soft and we should go back to bludgeoning each other with stick and fists, no face masks, no helmets, no visors, etc.

You know what NBA was not exciting as all? The 60s, but you bet your bottom dollar there were people that said the games of the 80s and 90s were blah, and they should go back to the 60s/70s era. Sometimes, nostalgia blinds you to what's really best.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Post#14 » by ontnut » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:38 pm

chipchipperson wrote:
Jim Dolan wrote:^ atleast they werent all hugging and kissing before and after the game like todays players or constantly trying to form superteams

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/0c/65/5a/0c655a1e2f4a949b66630fb9d63cd5b1.jpg

Thank you. A ballboy putting things in perspective.

This whole idea that NBA players didn't fraternize in the past, is just like those "when I was your age, I had to walk to school, uphill both ways, in the snow etc." stories. It did happen, you just forgot about it, and are now romanticizing the past.

And really, people hugging and recognizing each other before the game is how you're justifying this era being softer than others? Maybe these players realized they are all brothers, part of a fraternity - ie, the NBAPA. They're not at war with each other. They've understood that this is a GAME. Maybe they realized that punching each other and hurting their hands, isn't the best way to earn the biggest contract and/or support their families.

Players trying to form superteams today is somehow bad? At least they have control over their own destinies. At least there's a cap, and restrictions in place now. Remember the 60s? Players didn't need to form superteams because there was one superteam that dominated the entire decade. So if that happened today, I guess you would want players to just lay down, one star on each team, not bothering to compete against the Celtics wich 4-5 HOFers?

There have ALWAYS been superteams. Now, players, ie people, have the choice to choose their own team and destiny, and that's somehow soft? As opposed to owners having all the power and dynasties being formed where the other players in the league had no choice. Yeah, that's so much better.
Lava Rock Kid
Sixth Man
And1: 358

Post#15 » by Lava Rock Kid » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:05 pm

How refreshing it was to see players swing on each other. Todays technical because players said bad words or looked wrong at each other is pathetic. The game would of been better if neither lopez or Ibaka was tossed, break up the fight and let them play.
fluent
Freshman
And1: 6

Post#16 » by fluent » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:19 pm

ontnut wrote:You know what NBA was not exciting as all? The 60s, but you bet your bottom dollar there were people that said the games of the 80s and 90s were blah, and they should go back to the 60s/70s era. Sometimes, nostalgia blinds you to what's really best.

Huh? The pace of the game in the '60s was way higher than it even is today. Most people nowadays associate pace with being exciting so I'm not sure why you would think the '60s game was not exciting.

Also, "what's really best" is subjective. There is no right or wrong answer. Every era has its merits to me. Just be a fan of the game.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#17 » by Donnyxc » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:24 pm

IWishIWasHarden wrote:That's the first time I've ever heard of a punch gazing anyone. Was it in love or?

I have this theory that NBA players who get in "fights" on the court actually miss each other on purpose in today's game.

I don't have clear evidence to really back that up, but I just feel like I've watched many "scuffles" or whatever they are in today's NBA. Outside of Matt Barnes, no one is really purposely going all out at each other. It's almost like they're thinking about suspensions already when they're getting into stuff like this. Might just be me, but I've noticed it a few times. Rolo's hit was on target -- if Ibaka hadn't moved away. But Ibaka's punch was just exaggerated too far to the right. Really looked like he purposely missed him, but was getting pushed backwards by his teammate, so he didn't want to show softness by not throwing something out there. I dunno, just me.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
DoubleO8
Rookie
And1: 308

Post#18 » by DoubleO8 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:54 pm

These punches were exchanged but, were any received ?
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#19 » by MitchB3 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:22 pm

If this was a Prime Time game on Saturday, bet they would have sat out.
IAMZOOTED
Pro Prospect
And1: 99

Post#20 » by IAMZOOTED » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:23 pm

Donnyxc wrote:
IWishIWasHarden wrote:That's the first time I've ever heard of a punch gazing anyone. Was it in love or?

I have this theory that NBA players who get in "fights" on the court actually miss each other on purpose in today's game.

I don't have clear evidence to really back that up, but I just feel like I've watched many "scuffles" or whatever they are in today's NBA. Outside of Matt Barnes, no one is really purposely going all out at each other. It's almost like they're thinking about suspensions already when they're getting into stuff like this. Might just be me, but I've noticed it a few times. Rolo's hit was on target -- if Ibaka hadn't moved away. But Ibaka's punch was just exaggerated too far to the right. Really looked like he purposely missed him, but was getting pushed backwards by his teammate, so he didn't want to show softness by not throwing something out there. I dunno, just me.

Lol they just can't fight
dan-man wrote:These guys are EASILY the second best team in the NBA. Time to figure out how to keep all these awful Eastern Conference teams out of the playoffs.

^ After the Timberwolves signed Jamal Crawford.

Return to Wiretap Discussion