Adam Silver Believes NBA 'Definitely' Will Have Female Head Coach

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 295

Adam Silver Believes NBA 'Definitely' Will Have Female Head Coach 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:22 pm

Adam Silver told ESPN he believes there will be a female head coach in his league, and he wants it to happen "sooner rather than later."

"There definitely will," Silver said when asked about a woman becoming an NBA head coach. "And I think it is on me to sort of ensure that it happens sooner rather than later."

Silver's interview was promoting the NBA and Leanin.org's launch of a gender equality public awareness campaign.

Silver disputed recent comments made by WFAN radio host Mike Francesa, who sparked controversy when he stated that a woman has no shot at being a head coach of a pro men's team.

"First of all, let me say that I disagree that there will not be a woman head coach in the NBA," Silver said. "It is hard to say exactly when [it will happen]. There are three women currently in the pipeline, and I think like we have seen in all other aspects of life, while there are certain cases for example, the athletes that participate in the NBA, there are obvious physical differences between men and women and those differences are why we have a men's league and a women's league.

"But on the other hand when it comes to coaching, when there is absolutely no physical requirement, when it is not a function of how high you can jump or how strong you are, there is no physical litmus test to being a head coach in the league, there is absolutely no reason why a woman will not ascend to be a head coach in this league. We are very focused in on it."

San Antonio's Becky Hammon and Sacramento's Nancy Lieberman are currently assistant coaches in the NBA. Natalie Nakase also serves as the Clippers' assistant video coordinator with aspirations of becoming an NBA head coach.

Via Ohm Youngmisuk/ESPN

mastermixer
Starter
And1: 3,021

Re: Adam Silver Believes NBA 'Definitely' Will Have Female Head Coach 

Post#2 » by mastermixer » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:46 pm

there are obvious physical differences between men and women and those differences are why we have a men's league and a women's league.

Disgusting comment by Silver. Studies have shown there are NO true physical differences between men and woman, social constructs just only allow men in the NBA because they are sexist.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,668

Post#3 » by Note30 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:59 pm

mastermixer wrote:
there are obvious physical differences between men and women and those differences are why we have a men's league and a women's league.

Disgusting comment by Silver. Studies have shown there are NO true physical differences between men and woman, social constructs just only allow men in the NBA because they are sexist.

You missed the green font.
Fellow72
Junior
And1: 141

Post#4 » by Fellow72 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:20 pm

mastermixer wrote:

Social constructs.... lol...

I know I'm not the only one hoping there was some sarcasm in there.
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 143

Post#5 » by haste10176 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:55 pm

Spurs would put a women in charge when pop retires and due to such an enormous legacy to live up to she will inevitably fail.. Who would want to follow pop...
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#6 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:16 am

mastermixer wrote:

You are what's disgusting if you find offense in his truthful comments.

You are disgusting in not being happy with a commissioner that is seemingly forcing the issue in seeing that a woman heads men in a men's league.

The idea of trying to appease women who feel it necessary to "break barriers" and attempt to outdo a man is what's disgusting.

You think Silverman's disgusting?

Well get this, I hope a woman never becomes an NBA head coach in my lifetime.

There are physical differences between men and women.

The WNBA's worst team couldn't beat the NBA's worst team in a 7-game series

The WNBA's best team couldn't beat the NBA's worst team in a 7-game series.

They'd both lose ten times out of ten.

Return to Wiretap Discussion