Thabo Sefolosha Settles Civil Lawsuit Against NYPD

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Thabo Sefolosha Settles Civil Lawsuit Against NYPD 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Apr 6, 2017 2:06 am

Thabo Sefolosha has settled his civil lawsuit against five members of the New York City Police Department.

Sefolosha filed the lawsuit last year following injuries sustained during his arrest and subsequent acquittal in a criminal trial in 2015.

“I’m glad this matter is resolved,” Sefolosha’s attorney Alex Spiro told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Wednesday.

The terms of the settlement are confidential. 

Sefolosha suffered a broken right leg and ligament damage to his ankle during his arrest in the early-morning hours of April 7, 2015 outside the nightclub 1Oak in New York. 

Via Chris Vivlamore/Atlanta Journal Consitution

streets talking
Senior
And1: 31

Re: Thabo Sefolosha Settles Civil Lawsuit Against NYPD 

Post#2 » by streets talking » Thu Apr 6, 2017 2:29 am

money talks
papidulo
Rookie
And1: 651

Post#3 » by papidulo » Thu Apr 6, 2017 2:41 am

I feel like he got that Tracy Morgan payday
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#4 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Apr 6, 2017 4:22 am

This is so common and annoying. The story goes.....Cop, or group of cops, violate a citizens rights or outright cause bodily harm. The citizen sues the police. The cops get paid leave at worst. Then the city pays off the citizen to go away and **** their mouth. The terms are kept confidential. And in the end all that really happens is tax payers have their money wasted and no justice is served.

This is why public funding will prevent real solutions in policing from ever taking place.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#5 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Apr 6, 2017 7:13 am

Daddy 801 wrote:This is so common and annoying. The story goes.....Cop, or group of cops, violate a citizens rights or outright cause bodily harm. The citizen sues the police. The cops get paid leave at worst. Then the city pays off the citizen to go away and **** their mouth. The terms are kept confidential. And in the end all that really happens is tax payers have their money wasted and no justice is served.

This is why public funding will prevent real solutions in policing from ever taking place.

Valid point. But why did you block out the word ****?
gmehl1977
Sophomore
And1: 42

Post#6 » by gmehl1977 » Thu Apr 6, 2017 8:18 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:This is so common and annoying. The story goes.....Cop, or group of cops, violate a citizens rights or outright cause bodily harm. The citizen sues the police. The cops get paid leave at worst. Then the city pays off the citizen to go away and **** their mouth. The terms are kept confidential. And in the end all that really happens is tax payers have their money wasted and no justice is served.

One can only assume that he was meant to type 'shut' but accidentally put an 'i' where the 'u' was meant to be :D
concretemember
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#7 » by concretemember » Thu Apr 6, 2017 10:26 am

If the police/city is going to pay to settle the lawsuit, isn't that they are going to pay with taxpayer's money? If so, how can the settlement amount be confidential? Serious question. I'm from Hong Kong, and here all government expenses are clearly documented.
LeoBrooklyn
Sophomore
And1: 206

Post#8 » by LeoBrooklyn » Thu Apr 6, 2017 12:57 pm

concretemember wrote:If the police/city is going to pay to settle the lawsuit, isn't that they are going to pay with taxpayer's money? If so, how can the settlement amount be confidential? Serious question. I'm from Hong Kong, and here all government expenses are clearly documented.

They settled for $4 million, I don't know why ReaalGM is saying it's confidential.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#9 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Apr 6, 2017 2:24 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:

I used a u, not an i...so realGM censored it.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#10 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Apr 6, 2017 2:25 pm

concretemember wrote:If the police/city is going to pay to settle the lawsuit, isn't that they are going to pay with taxpayer's money? If so, how can the settlement amount be confidential? Serious question. I'm from Hong Kong, and here all government expenses are clearly documented.

It seems in this case the amount was open to the public. Sometimes settlements are not public.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,041

Post#11 » by ontnut » Thu Apr 6, 2017 5:33 pm

LeoBrooklyn wrote:

They settled for $4 million, I don't know why ReaalGM is saying it's confidential.

The article was edited after posting in RGM. The initial report did not have the sum in the article. It is still "confidential", but when celebrities and multiple people are involved, you know there's going to be a "leak" at some point.

Initial RGM post:

Thabo Sefolosha has settled his civil lawsuit against five members of the New York City Police Department.

Sefolosha filed the lawsuit last year following injuries sustained during his arrest and subsequent acquittal in a criminal trial in 2015.

“I’m glad this matter is resolved,” Sefolosha’s attorney Alex Spiro told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Wednesday.

The terms of the settlement are confidential.

Sefolosha suffered a broken right leg and ligament damage to his ankle during his arrest in the early-morning hours of April 7, 2015 outside the nightclub 1Oak in New York.

Via Chris Vivlamore/Atlanta Journal Consitution
cmfreeman
Freshman
And1: 2

Post#12 » by cmfreeman » Thu Apr 6, 2017 6:24 pm

The easiest way to prevent this is that settlements come from the pension fund instead of tax payers. Fixed over night.
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#13 » by dan-man » Thu Apr 6, 2017 8:17 pm

cmfreeman wrote:The easiest way to prevent this is that settlements come from the pension fund instead of tax payers. Fixed over night.

Step in the right direction, but yeah that would decimate pensions given the volume of law suits/pay days seeked against public servants.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#14 » by Ballerhogger » Thu Apr 6, 2017 10:16 pm

dan-man wrote:
cmfreeman wrote:The easiest way to prevent this is that settlements come from the pension fund instead of tax payers. Fixed over night.

Step in the right direction, but yeah that would decimate pensions given the volume of law suits/pay days seeked against public servants.

Get volunteers to do it then, that will go over well in the real world...

Return to Wiretap Discussion