Mike Scott Cleared Of Felony Drug Charges

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Mike Scott Cleared Of Felony Drug Charges 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed May 3, 2017 3:10 pm

A judge has issued a ruling to suppress all evidence and dismiss a felony drug case against Mike Scott.

Banks County (Ga.) Superior Judge Currie Mingledorff II granted Scott’s motion to suppress evidence against the forward and his brother, Antonn Scott, largely based upon testimony and evidence that suggests a pattern of racial profiling by law enforcement in the county.

“In my 35 years of practicing law, this could be the worst case of racial profiling I have ever seen,” Steve Weiner, counsel for Mike Scott, told The Vertical. “Hopefully this will lead to Banks County, Georgia, re-evaluating their policies.”

The Atlanta Hawks traded Scott in February and was then waived by the Phoenix Suns.

Several teams considered signing Scott but decided to wait until a resolution was reached in his court case.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/The Vertical

macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Re: Mike Scott Cleared Of Felony Drug Charges 

Post#2 » by macNcheese3 » Wed May 3, 2017 5:24 pm

Not a bad energy guy off the bench for 15MPG. Doesn't do anything particular great. Under 1 steal & block a game, shot well from beyond the arc in 15-16.
MetaKnick13
General Manager
And1: 343

Post#3 » by MetaKnick13 » Wed May 3, 2017 6:00 pm

Happy to hear these charges were dropped. The case seemed bizarre from the start. I just hope another team gives him a chance, he has some serious talent.
GBPackers47
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#4 » by GBPackers47 » Wed May 3, 2017 6:17 pm

MetaKnick13 wrote:Happy to hear these charges were dropped. The case seemed bizarre from the start. I just hope another team gives him a chance, he has some serious talent.

Something is definitely bizarre for sure. Going from having allegedly an ounce and a half of weed and 11 grams of MDMA to charges dropped? Even having over an ounce of weed is illegal in states where recreational marijuana is allowed, so those aren't minor amounts by any means.

Either way, happy he gets to hopefully continue his career in the NBA, but hopefully this was a wakeup call.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#5 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed May 3, 2017 6:49 pm

GBPackers47 wrote:
MetaKnick13 wrote:Happy to hear these charges were dropped. The case seemed bizarre from the start. I just hope another team gives him a chance, he has some serious talent.

Something is definitely bizarre for sure. Going from having allegedly an ounce and a half of weed and 11 grams of MDMA to charges dropped? Even having over an ounce of weed is illegal in states where recreational marijuana is allowed, so those aren't minor amounts by any means.

Either way, happy he gets to hopefully continue his career in the NBA, but hopefully this was a wakeup call.

Sounds like a good lawyer was involved. If it was me I would be in jail right now.
Future Coach
Assistant Coach
And1: 468

Post#6 » by Future Coach » Wed May 3, 2017 8:13 pm

I'd be interested in seeing the specifics of how egregious the racial profiling was to get these charges dropped. Was it purely that they were pulled over for DWB (driving while black)?

In any event, hopefully such racial profiling results in the officers being fired (or at least substantially reprimanded and fined).
DoubleO8
Rookie
And1: 308

Post#7 » by DoubleO8 » Wed May 3, 2017 8:33 pm

Popped a molly I'm sweating.

He paid a lot of money to a good lawyer
eddie jerel
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#8 » by eddie jerel » Wed May 3, 2017 9:26 pm

Future Coach wrote:I'd be interested in seeing the specifics of how egregious the racial profiling was to get these charges dropped. Was it purely that they were pulled over for DWB (driving while black)?

In any event, hopefully such racial profiling results in the officers being fired (or at least substantially reprimanded and fined).

They were stopped for allegedly having a Tail Light out but Officer thought it gave him probable cause to search car w/o consent. He found Weed and Ex Pills. Problem started when Drug amounts were increased from what Scott said he had and what PD said. Shoot,it was DWB who am i kidding and Judge saw/noticed it.

Return to Wiretap Discussion