Harden, LeBron, Westbrook, Davis, Leonard Named To All-NBA Team

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
Posts: 47,060
And1: 126
Joined: Mar 19, 2013

Harden, LeBron, Westbrook, Davis, Leonard Named To All-NBA Team 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu May 18, 2017 6:13 pm

James Harden, LeBron James, Russell Westbrook, Kawhi Leonard and Anthony Davis have been named to the 16-17 All-NBA First Team.

Via RealGM Staff Report

hyberx
Rookie
Posts: 1,000
And1: 91
Joined: Oct 31, 2001

Re: Harden, LeBron, Westbrook, Davis, Leonard Named To All-NBA Team 

Post#2 » by hyberx » Thu May 18, 2017 6:21 pm

The two best players from the historical great team are not named to first team. You don't need to wonder why most "stars" do not play team basketball. :noway:
User avatar
MagicFan101
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,001
And1: 2,294
Joined: Jul 04, 2012
 

Re: Harden, LeBron, Westbrook, Davis, Leonard Named To All-NBA Team 

Post#3 » by MagicFan101 » Thu May 18, 2017 6:30 pm

hyberx wrote:The two best players from the historical great team are not named to first team. You don't need to wonder why most "stars" do not play team basketball. :noway:


You need to understand the context here.

All-NBA teams are traditionally individual awards. Can anyone say Curry had a season to compete with what Westbrook or Harden did? How about Durant to Lebron?

But Durant knew that when he signed with Golden State. How many individual awards are out there which Curry and Durant haven't won yet? They don't care about that, so why do you? They want championships... as stars should.
HotelVitale
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,617
And1: 2,089
Joined: Sep 14, 2007
Location: West Philly, PA

Re: Harden, LeBron, Westbrook, Davis, Leonard Named To All-NBA Team 

Post#4 » by HotelVitale » Thu May 18, 2017 6:34 pm

hyberx wrote:The two best players from the historical great team are not named to first team. You don't need to wonder why most "stars" do not play team basketball.

I mean, if you voluntarily go to a team that has multiple other first options I'm not going to cry for you when your numbers go down and you seem less valuable as an individual to your team. The other guys carried their teams while the W's players chose to split the load, and they still got 2nd team. And Draymond got 3rd, so the Warriors got theirs.
sunevisions
Senior
Posts: 590
And1: 29
Joined: Jan 08, 2004
Location: HK
Contact:

Re: Harden, LeBron, Westbrook, Davis, Leonard Named To All-NBA Team 

Post#5 » by sunevisions » Thu May 18, 2017 6:38 pm

I will go for Gobert over Davis
hyberx
Rookie
Posts: 1,000
And1: 91
Joined: Oct 31, 2001

Re: Harden, LeBron, Westbrook, Davis, Leonard Named To All-NBA Team 

Post#6 » by hyberx » Thu May 18, 2017 7:04 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
hyberx wrote:The two best players from the historical great team are not named to first team. You don't need to wonder why most "stars" do not play team basketball. :noway:


You need to understand the context here.

All-NBA teams are traditionally individual awards. Can anyone say Curry had a season to compete with what Westbrook or Harden did? How about Durant to Lebron?

But Durant knew that when he signed with Golden State. How many individual awards are out there which Curry and Durant haven't won yet? They don't care about that, so why do you? They want championships... as stars should.


That is exactly my point, these rewards go to stat stuffer instead of great players who led their team to great records (of course LBJ Kawhi Harden all have good records). I am not talking from KD Curry perspective knowing they dont care. This is about the NBA as a whole, similar to all star selection
hyberx
Rookie
Posts: 1,000
And1: 91
Joined: Oct 31, 2001

Re: Harden, LeBron, Westbrook, Davis, Leonard Named To All-NBA Team 

Post#7 » by hyberx » Thu May 18, 2017 7:36 pm

Just to put it in better perspective, there are a lot of money involved with these awards.

Take PG as an example. That's a total of $30Mil gone by not making the All NBA Team, almost 15% of his new contract.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/paul-george-misses-nba-throwing-180735734.html
User avatar
oaktownwarriors87
General Manager
Posts: 9,682
And1: 1,712
Joined: Mar 01, 2005
 

Re: Harden, LeBron, Westbrook, Davis, Leonard Named To All-NBA Team 

Post#8 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Thu May 18, 2017 7:37 pm

Who wins in a 7 game series?

Curry/Butler/Durant/Antetokounmpo/Gobert

vs

Westbrook/Harden/Leonard/James/Davis
PockyCandy wrote:Is Ball's shot any more ugly than Curry's? Curry just seems to launch it towards the basket like an 8 year old.
luss54321
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,478
And1: 180
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: Harden, LeBron, Westbrook, Davis, Leonard Named To All-NBA Team 

Post#9 » by luss54321 » Thu May 18, 2017 7:40 pm

hyberx wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
hyberx wrote:The two best players from the historical great team are not named to first team. You don't need to wonder why most "stars" do not play team basketball. :noway:


You need to understand the context here.

All-NBA teams are traditionally individual awards. Can anyone say Curry had a season to compete with what Westbrook or Harden did? How about Durant to Lebron?

But Durant knew that when he signed with Golden State. How many individual awards are out there which Curry and Durant haven't won yet? They don't care about that, so why do you? They want championships... as stars should.


That is exactly my point, these rewards goe to stat stuffer instead of great players who led their team to great records (of course LBJ Kawhi Harden all have good records). I am not talking from KD Curry perspective knowing they dont care. This is about the NBA as a whole, similar to all star selection


A greater challenge deserves a greater reward.

A player like Westrbook, who carries his team every single night deserves to be awarded more than a player like Durant who joined the best team in the league coming off back to back finals appearances. Sure Durant is a great player, but what did he really accomplish this year? He just coasted on an already great team that hardly even needs him.

Durant and Curry get all the open looks in the world, they can basically just coast on offense, they can essentially take games off and the team will still win, they have it easy in every way imaginable. Why should that be rewarded? All-NBA is an indivudal reward. not a team award.
Lava Rock Kid
Rookie
Posts: 1,191
And1: 85
Joined: Feb 05, 2008
Location: Idaho Falls

Re: Harden, LeBron, Westbrook, Davis, Leonard Named To All-NBA Team 

Post#10 » by Lava Rock Kid » Thu May 18, 2017 9:00 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:Who wins in a 7 game series?

Curry/Butler/Durant/Antetokounmpo/Gobert

vs

Westbrook/Harden/Leonard/James/Davis


I think curry/butler/Durant/antokounmmpo/gobert,

Goberts shutting down the basket would be the difference.
hyberx
Rookie
Posts: 1,000
And1: 91
Joined: Oct 31, 2001

Re: Harden, LeBron, Westbrook, Davis, Leonard Named To All-NBA Team 

Post#11 » by hyberx » Thu May 18, 2017 9:46 pm

luss54321 wrote:
hyberx wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
You need to understand the context here.

All-NBA teams are traditionally individual awards. Can anyone say Curry had a season to compete with what Westbrook or Harden did? How about Durant to Lebron?

But Durant knew that when he signed with Golden State. How many individual awards are out there which Curry and Durant haven't won yet? They don't care about that, so why do you? They want championships... as stars should.


That is exactly my point, these rewards goe to stat stuffer instead of great players who led their team to great records (of course LBJ Kawhi Harden all have good records). I am not talking from KD Curry perspective knowing they dont care. This is about the NBA as a whole, similar to all star selection


A greater challenge deserves a greater reward.

A player like Westrbook, who carries his team every single night deserves to be awarded more than a player like Durant who joined the best team in the league coming off back to back finals appearances. Sure Durant is a great player, but what did he really accomplish this year? He just coasted on an already great team that hardly even needs him.

Durant and Curry get all the open looks in the world, they can basically just coast on offense, they can essentially take games off and the team will still win, they have it easy in every way imaginable. Why should that be rewarded? All-NBA is an indivudal reward. not a team award.


This argument hardly holds any water. Just because you play on the Ws does not mean you can just sit back and cake walk to the Final. It is not the minor league East after all. Instead of sitting back on the defensive end like with OKC, now KD has to play a lot more physically demanding PF position, fight for rebounds, go for blocks, and defend better than he has ever done since he came into the league. Ws play on both end of the floor with a constant motion offense and switch/rotate defense that are extremely demanding physically. KD/Curry gets all the open look not because defenders fell to sleep, but because Ws constantly play as a unit by setting screens and having body and ball movement. There is no greater challenge to actually perform at such a high level night in and night out on both side of the ball, while playing as a team without ego. Heck, it is much easier to play like Harden who just play offense and take a vacation on every defensive possession.

It's also debatable that whether Russ were actually carrying his team, or just bad coaching and stat stuffing that shut down his team mates. This is the NBA after all. Players can score when you let them.

Individual reward should take record into consideration. Your value shows up on how much your team wins. Otherwise, it is meaningless. Same take for All Stars, MVP, etc. As much as I dislike Harden's foul drawing game, lazy defense, and the fact that he totally quit game 6, if the MVP rewards is only between him and Russ, I would take Harden because of his team's record. That is his true value, making a team that built around him win, not merely stats.
hyberx
Rookie
Posts: 1,000
And1: 91
Joined: Oct 31, 2001

Re: Harden, LeBron, Westbrook, Davis, Leonard Named To All-NBA Team 

Post#12 » by hyberx » Thu May 18, 2017 9:49 pm

Lava Rock Kid wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:Who wins in a 7 game series?

Curry/Butler/Durant/Antetokounmpo/Gobert

vs

Westbrook/Harden/Leonard/James/Davis


I think curry/butler/Durant/antokounmmpo/gobert,

Goberts shutting down the basket would be the difference.


curry/butler/Durant/antokounmmpo/gobert.

Because Harden/Westbrook/Lebron would be fighting for that only basketball on every offensive possession, while Kawhi and the Unibow look at each others silently wondering how the heck they ended up on that team, resulting in a 24 seconds violation every trip.
Veggamattic
Starter
Posts: 2,139
And1: 594
Joined: Sep 11, 2006
Location: Ontario
Contact:
     

Re: Harden, LeBron, Westbrook, Davis, Leonard Named To All-NBA Team 

Post#13 » by Veggamattic » Thu May 18, 2017 10:05 pm

hyberx wrote:
Lava Rock Kid wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:Who wins in a 7 game series?

Curry/Butler/Durant/Antetokounmpo/Gobert

vs

Westbrook/Harden/Leonard/James/Davis


I think curry/butler/Durant/antokounmmpo/gobert,

Goberts shutting down the basket would be the difference.


curry/butler/Durant/antokounmmpo/gobert.

Because Harden/Westbrook/Lebron would be fighting for that only basketball on every offensive possession, while Kawhi and the Unibow look at each others silently wondering how the heck they ended up on that team, resulting in a 24 seconds violation every trip.

You have clearly never seen Lebron play basketball.
hyberx
Rookie
Posts: 1,000
And1: 91
Joined: Oct 31, 2001

Re: Harden, LeBron, Westbrook, Davis, Leonard Named To All-NBA Team 

Post#14 » by hyberx » Thu May 18, 2017 10:36 pm

Veggamattic wrote:
hyberx wrote:
Lava Rock Kid wrote:
I think curry/butler/Durant/antokounmmpo/gobert,

Goberts shutting down the basket would be the difference.


curry/butler/Durant/antokounmmpo/gobert.

Because Harden/Westbrook/Lebron would be fighting for that only basketball on every offensive possession, while Kawhi and the Unibow look at each others silently wondering how the heck they ended up on that team, resulting in a 24 seconds violation every trip.

You have clearly never seen Lebron play basketball.


You have clearly never seen LeBron play off the ball.
luss54321
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,478
And1: 180
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: Harden, LeBron, Westbrook, Davis, Leonard Named To All-NBA Team 

Post#15 » by luss54321 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:37 pm

hyberx wrote:
luss54321 wrote:
hyberx wrote:
That is exactly my point, these rewards goe to stat stuffer instead of great players who led their team to great records (of course LBJ Kawhi Harden all have good records). I am not talking from KD Curry perspective knowing they dont care. This is about the NBA as a whole, similar to all star selection


A greater challenge deserves a greater reward.

A player like Westrbook, who carries his team every single night deserves to be awarded more than a player like Durant who joined the best team in the league coming off back to back finals appearances. Sure Durant is a great player, but what did he really accomplish this year? He just coasted on an already great team that hardly even needs him.

Durant and Curry get all the open looks in the world, they can basically just coast on offense, they can essentially take games off and the team will still win, they have it easy in every way imaginable. Why should that be rewarded? All-NBA is an indivudal reward. not a team award.


This argument hardly holds any water. Just because you play on the Ws does not mean you can just sit back and cake walk to the Final. It is not the minor league East after all. Instead of sitting back on the defensive end like with OKC, now KD has to play a lot more physically demanding PF position, fight for rebounds, go for blocks, and defend better than he has ever done since he came into the league. Ws play on both end of the floor with a constant motion offense and switch/rotate defense that are extremely demanding physically. KD/Curry gets all the open look not because defenders fell to sleep, but because Ws constantly play as a unit by setting screens and having body and ball movement. There is no greater challenge to actually perform at such a high level night in and night out on both side of the ball, while playing as a team without ego. Heck, it is much easier to play like Harden who just play offense and take a vacation on every defensive possession.

It's also debatable that whether Russ were actually carrying his team, or just bad coaching and stat stuffing that shut down his team mates. This is the NBA after all. Players can score when you let them.

Individual reward should take record into consideration. Your value shows up on how much your team wins. Otherwise, it is meaningless. Same take for All Stars, MVP, etc. As much as I dislike Harden's foul drawing game, lazy defense, and the fact that he totally quit game 6, if the MVP rewards is only between him and Russ, I would take Harden because of his team's record. That is his true value, making a team that built around him win, not merely stats.


Playing with other superstars makes the game SO MUCH EASIER. It's hard to take your comment seriously. Your argument is basically that Golden State's style of play is more difficult and you couldn't be further from the truth.

Golden State is not the only team to play a motion offense, in fact, it's extremely common. It just works a lot more effectively when you have 3 of the best shooters in the game. Also, switching on defense is SO MUCH EASIER than playing man to man. Yes, you need to have the personnel to pull it off, but anyone who's ever played the game of basketball will tell you it's easier. What's difficult is fighting through every single screen and chasing your man all over the court because you don't have teammates who you can depend on and fall back on.

Have you played the game of basketball before? Do you have any idea how exhausting it is for your team to rely no you every single night to win the game? Have you played for a really good team without egos? It's night and day. One is extremely challenging and the other is a piece of cake. Based on your argument, playing for team USA is the greatest challenge in basketball. NOOOO WAY. I'm sorry, but playing on Team USA is like a walk-through for those players. The same can be said for GS.
User avatar
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
Posts: 10,049
And1: 5,761
Joined: Feb 07, 2010

Re: Harden, LeBron, Westbrook, Davis, Leonard Named To All-NBA Team 

Post#16 » by Winsome Gerbil » Thu May 18, 2017 10:46 pm

This DeAndre Jordan nonsense has to stop.
hyberx
Rookie
Posts: 1,000
And1: 91
Joined: Oct 31, 2001

Re: Harden, LeBron, Westbrook, Davis, Leonard Named To All-NBA Team 

Post#17 » by hyberx » Thu May 18, 2017 11:03 pm

luss54321 wrote:
Playing with other superstars makes the game SO MUCH EASIER. It's hard to take your comment seriously. Your argument is basically that Golden State's style of play is more difficult and you couldn't be further from the truth.

Golden State is not the only team to play a motion offense, in fact, it's extremely common. It just works a lot more effectively when you have 3 of the best shooters in the game. Also, switching on defense is SO MUCH EASIER than playing man to man. Yes, you need to have the personnel to pull it off, but anyone who's ever played the game of basketball will tell you it's easier. What's difficult is fighting through every single screen and chasing your man all over the court because you don't have teammates who you can depend on and fall back on.

Have you played the game of basketball before? Do you have any idea how exhausting it is for your team to rely no you every single night to win the game? Have you played for a really good team without egos? It's night and day. One is extremely challenging and the other is a piece of cake. Based on your argument, playing for team USA is the greatest challenge in basketball. NOOOO WAY. I'm sorry, but playing on Team USA is like a walk-through for those players. The same can be said for GS.


LOL. Now this is getting silly. First of all, not only I play the game, I coach as well.

Now, Ws is certainly not the only team to play a motion offense. But how many teams in NBA history play the way Ws do, at an extremely high pace on offense, yet still being the top defensive team? The system requires high bball IQ and extreme athleticism to pull off.

Saying switching is easier is even funnier. You don't do it to be easy, because every time you switch you end up with a mismatch. That require help defense to rotate or switch back to cover, resulting in more work on defense end. You think the other team just P&R you for the switch for the heck of it so you have an easier day? LOL. Also, a switching system does NOT mean you just switch every time. There are instance you switch and instance you fight through screen. There are a lot more coordination, in addition to attention to details, to pull it off. Without team defense, a switching system will just die as soon as it happens, let alone being a top defensive team consistently for 3 years in a row. Don't be silly already, this is not your play ground basketball.

3 best shooters? How soon you forgot Ws play the same style the last two years with only Klay and Curry. KD is not much a shooter but more a scorer.

And your Olympic analogy is saying that on that world stage the best player reward should go to Mr Oompa Loompa of Chocolastan because he had to carry the team even though his team won nothing? LOL. Again, NBA is not your play ground basketball, so wrong again.
haste10176
Senior
Posts: 614
And1: 46
Joined: Mar 03, 2015

Re: Harden, LeBron, Westbrook, Davis, Leonard Named To All-NBA Team 

Post#18 » by haste10176 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:25 pm

hyberx wrote:
luss54321 wrote:
Playing with other superstars makes the game SO MUCH EASIER. It's hard to take your comment seriously. Your argument is basically that Golden State's style of play is more difficult and you couldn't be further from the truth.

Golden State is not the only team to play a motion offense, in fact, it's extremely common. It just works a lot more effectively when you have 3 of the best shooters in the game. Also, switching on defense is SO MUCH EASIER than playing man to man. Yes, you need to have the personnel to pull it off, but anyone who's ever played the game of basketball will tell you it's easier. What's difficult is fighting through every single screen and chasing your man all over the court because you don't have teammates who you can depend on and fall back on.

Have you played the game of basketball before? Do you have any idea how exhausting it is for your team to rely no you every single night to win the game? Have you played for a really good team without egos? It's night and day. One is extremely challenging and the other is a piece of cake. Based on your argument, playing for team USA is the greatest challenge in basketball. NOOOO WAY. I'm sorry, but playing on Team USA is like a walk-through for those players. The same can be said for GS.


LOL. Now this is getting silly. First of all, not only I play the game, I coach as well.

Now, Ws is certainly not the only team to play a motion offense. But how many teams in NBA history play the way Ws do, at an extremely high pace on offense, yet still being the top defensive team? The system requires high bball IQ and extreme athleticism to pull off.

Saying switching is easier is even funnier. You don't do it to be easy, because every time you switch you end up with a mismatch. That require help defense to rotate or switch back to cover, resulting in more work on defense end. You think the other team just P&R you for the switch for the heck of it so you have an easier day? LOL. Also, a switching system does NOT mean you just switch every time. There are instance you switch and instance you fight through screen. There are a lot more coordination, in addition to attention to details, to pull it off. Without team defense, a switching system will just die as soon as it happens, let alone being a top defensive team consistently for 3 years in a row. Don't be silly already, this is not your play ground basketball.

3 best shooters? How soon you forgot Ws play the same style the last two years with only Klay and Curry. KD is not much a shooter but more a scorer.

And your Olympic analogy is saying that on that world stage the best player reward should go to Mr Oompa Loompa of Chocolastan because he had to carry the team even though his team won nothing? LOL. Again, NBA is not your play ground basketball, so wrong again.


The minute you said Durant is not much of a shooter your whole argument is down the toilet.. That comment is so stupid I just do not know what to say...
haste10176
Senior
Posts: 614
And1: 46
Joined: Mar 03, 2015

Re: Harden, LeBron, Westbrook, Davis, Leonard Named To All-NBA Team 

Post#19 » by haste10176 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:29 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:Who wins in a 7 game series?

Curry/Butler/Durant/Antetokounmpo/Gobert

vs

Westbrook/Harden/Leonard/James/Davis


I agree Westbrook and Harden do not defend enough but come on you have James Leonard and Davis this game is over.. I would put Harden at the 1 and Westbrook at the 2... Leonard and James can switch on playing 3 and 4 and Davis will kill at 5.. Curry and Durant can put up a fight but Butler, Gorbert and Antetokounmpo are not on the same level... This game is not even close.. If someone were to sub Westbrick and Harden out for Curry and Durant the team would be better though this I agree with...
haste10176
Senior
Posts: 614
And1: 46
Joined: Mar 03, 2015

Re: Harden, LeBron, Westbrook, Davis, Leonard Named To All-NBA Team 

Post#20 » by haste10176 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:33 pm

hyberx wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
hyberx wrote:The two best players from the historical great team are not named to first team. You don't need to wonder why most "stars" do not play team basketball. :noway:


You need to understand the context here.

All-NBA teams are traditionally individual awards. Can anyone say Curry had a season to compete with what Westbrook or Harden did? How about Durant to Lebron?

But Durant knew that when he signed with Golden State. How many individual awards are out there which Curry and Durant haven't won yet? They don't care about that, so why do you? They want championships... as stars should.


That is exactly my point, these rewards go to stat stuffer instead of great players who led their team to great records (of course LBJ Kawhi Harden all have good records). I am not talking from KD Curry perspective knowing they dont care. This is about the NBA as a whole, similar to all star selection


Though KD was great for most of the season he played and Curry was great when KD was not there it is hard to Justify either in All NBA first team as KD missed a large chuck of the season and GSW won 14 in a row without him including against the spurs and rockets twice... Curry was great for a third of the season when Durant was not there but overall he assumed almost a role player status.. Durant is the second best player in the NBA but playing on a team chocked full of all stars has made it so ridiculously easy for him to get open looks.. Curry plays poor defense and his offense has regressed while KD was there (Turned around in the latest final series) So Curry has no chance of being all NBA first.. Harden who got his team all on his own to third seed is certainly above curry this year...

Return to Wiretap Discussion