Isaiah Thomas Talks To Markelle Fultz About Playing Together With Celtics

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 126

Isaiah Thomas Talks To Markelle Fultz About Playing Together With Celtics 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri May 19, 2017 5:02 am

Isaiah Thomas has reached out to Markelle Fultz about the possibility of sharing a backcourt with the Boston Celtics.

Fultz is expected to be the Celtics' pick at No. 1 if they don't trade it for an established star.

"He's excited," Thomas said. "I mean, he obviously doesn't know where he's going, but ... he's excited about the opportunity."

Thomas said Fultz inquired about the culture of the Celtics organization, to which Thomas has offered insight into how things work.

"He asks questions; I answer them," Thomas said. "He's a good friend of mine. If it happens, we'll figure out how to play together. If not, we'll go from there."

Both Thomas and Fultz attended the University of Washington.

While Fultz will likely be the top pick of the 2017 draft, Thomas was the last pick in 2011.

Via Chris Forsberg/ESPN

BorkLazer
Junior
And1: 103

Re: Isaiah Thomas Talks To Markelle Fultz About Playing Together With Celtics 

Post#2 » by BorkLazer » Fri May 19, 2017 2:17 pm

They need to trade IT ASAP. His value will never be higher, and it's not worth keeping him into his 30's, where his speed and quickness will cease to be a factor. Would Indiana give up George for Thomas and a pick?
luss54321
Bench Warmer
And1: 180

Post#3 » by luss54321 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:06 pm

BorkLazer wrote:They need to trade IT ASAP. His value will never be higher, and it's not worth keeping him into his 30's, where his speed and quickness will cease to be a factor. Would Indiana give up George for Thomas and a pick?

I think IT's performance in the rest of this Cleveland series will help to determine his future with Boston. Personally, I think he would be better in a more limited role. Boston doesn't have a lot of players who can generate offense, so they need IT to score almost 30 PPG. His poor defense really hurts Boston when he's on the floor. I would prefer to see IT play closer to 28 MPG and average around 20 PPG. Those numbers are somewhat arbitrary, but I just don't think he's a full time starter, crazy as that sounds. He has major flaws in his games that good teams are able to expose. There are definite situations when he shouldn't be on the floor.
BorkLazer
Junior
And1: 103

Post#4 » by BorkLazer » Fri May 19, 2017 9:57 pm

luss54321 wrote:
BorkLazer wrote:They need to trade IT ASAP. His value will never be higher, and it's not worth keeping him into his 30's, where his speed and quickness will cease to be a factor. Would Indiana give up George for Thomas and a pick?

I think IT's performance in the rest of this Cleveland series will help to determine his future with Boston. Personally, I think he would be better in a more limited role. Boston doesn't have a lot of players who can generate offense, so they need IT to score almost 30 PPG. His poor defense really hurts Boston when he's on the floor. I would prefer to see IT play closer to 28 MPG and average around 20 PPG. Those numbers are somewhat arbitrary, but I just don't think he's a full time starter, crazy as that sounds. He has major flaws in his games that good teams are able to expose. There are definite situations when he shouldn't be on the floor.

I agree with everything you typed, but playing starter minutes and putting up monster scoring numbers likely means he won't accept a bench role anytime soon. That leaves only 2 options: max him or trade him. I would honestly hate to see either one happen.

Return to Wiretap Discussion