Lonzo Ball Considering Workout For 76ers

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Lonzo Ball Considering Workout For 76ers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri May 26, 2017 1:28 pm

Lonzo Ball is considering working out for the Philadelphia 76ers.

Philadelphia owns the third overall pick, directly behind the Los Angeles Lakers, who are Ball's preferred choice.

A final decision will be made once Ball's agent, Harrison Gaines, and Sixers general manager Bryan Colangelo have had an extensive conversation centered on the identity of the team.

Ben Simmons is expected to play the role of primary ballhandler for the 76ers, which is a concern for Ball as a point guard.

Danny Ainge recently said Ball had declined to work out for them for a chance to be selected No. 1 overall by the Boston Celtics.

Via Chris Haynes/ESPN

Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Re: Lonzo Ball Considering Workout For 76ers 

Post#2 » by Donnyxc » Fri May 26, 2017 2:16 pm

I could see this happening. Markelle to Boston, LAL pass on him for Fox (Magic is high on De'Aaron), Philly gets their marquee future guard. God help you guys in Philly with the Big Baller Brand.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#3 » by macNcheese3 » Fri May 26, 2017 3:03 pm

It would be in his best interest to workout for a couple of times at least in the top 5.
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#4 » by MaxRider » Fri May 26, 2017 3:30 pm

What? Not confident enough Lakers will pick him?
malgus
Rookie
And1: 116

Post#5 » by malgus » Fri May 26, 2017 3:33 pm

MaxRider wrote:What? Not confident enough Lakers will pick him?

If they don't pick him, he might fall a long way.
MaxRider
RealGM

Post#6 » by MaxRider » Fri May 26, 2017 4:18 pm

malgus wrote:

I thought all signs is saying Lakers will
He and his father love Lakers and Magic likes him
what could go wrong?
I guess Josh Jackson or De'Aaron Fox has a really good workout
Thatmetricsdude
Freshman
And1: 7

Post#7 » by Thatmetricsdude » Fri May 26, 2017 4:26 pm

malgus wrote:

I'm not sure the Lakers will draft him but I don't see him falling past the Kings especially is Fox is gone
Veggamattic
Veteran
And1: 1,419

Post#8 » by Veggamattic » Fri May 26, 2017 4:39 pm

I'm already sick of this diva.
blitz41
Rookie
And1: 759

Post#9 » by blitz41 » Fri May 26, 2017 4:57 pm

Seems odd to skip working out for the celts, but not the 76ers.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#10 » by 12footrim » Fri May 26, 2017 5:03 pm

Donnyxc wrote:I could see this happening. Markelle to Boston, LAL pass on him for Fox (Magic is high on De'Aaron), Philly gets their marquee future guard. God help you guys in Philly with the Big Baller Brand.

Hard to be a "big baller" when he' d be riding Boston's bench :nod: That's probably why he wants to stay away from Boston because he's not going to start or be a top usage guy any time soon likely.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#11 » by luss54321 » Fri May 26, 2017 5:20 pm

Do you really want Ben Simmons as your primary ball handler...? He averaged 4.8 APG and 3.4 TO's in college.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,764

Post#12 » by madmaxmedia » Fri May 26, 2017 6:04 pm

luss54321 wrote:Do you really want Ben Simmons as your primary ball handler...? He averaged 4.8 APG and 3.4 TO's in college.

I think Lonzo and Simmons would make a great pair, since Lonzo is not ball dominant. He's willingly moves the ball when it favors the overall team, not just when there's specifically an assist to be created. So that could put the ball in Simmons hands in a lot of reasonably favorable scenarios where he then is able to create and pass as well.

There's other considerations (defense, shooting, other teammates, etc.), but as far those 2 guys go I think they could actually work well together to improve overall team offensive efficiency.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,745

Post#13 » by the_process » Fri May 26, 2017 6:31 pm

luss54321 wrote:Do you really want Ben Simmons as your primary ball handler...? He averaged 4.8 APG and 3.4 TO's in college.

Short answer: yes.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,745

Post#14 » by the_process » Fri May 26, 2017 6:34 pm

blitz41 wrote:Seems odd to skip working out for the celts, but not the 76ers.

Lavar is just trolling Boston IMO. Lonzo isn't working out anywhere but LA.
MaxRider
RealGM

Post#15 » by MaxRider » Fri May 26, 2017 6:39 pm

either he knows Celtics won't pick him or he's worrying about playing time in Boston
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by 12footrim » Fri May 26, 2017 7:13 pm

the_process wrote:

Considering he's a non shooting threat with a busted shot that doesn't even know if he's shooting with the correct hand, where would you rather him be? Playing off the ball for spot up shots? He almost needs to ball in his hands so he can distribute or drive to have offensive value.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
arasu
Rookie
And1: 147

Post#17 » by arasu » Fri May 26, 2017 7:44 pm

12footrim wrote:
the_process wrote:

Considering he's a non shooting threat with a busted shot that doesn't even know if he's shooting with the correct hand, where would you rather him be? Playing off the ball for spot up shots? He almost needs to ball in his hands so he can distribute or drive to have offensive value.

He is known for playing well off the ball and spotting up. His shot may be ugly, but it goes in. The Warriors use multiple playmakers, so why wouldn't the 76ers?

For a player who was such a focal point offensively and who generated so many scoring opportunities for his teammates, the ball didn't stick with Ball, allowing other players to serve as playmakers and encouraging constant movement from his teammates. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Lonzo-Ball-7229/ ©DraftExpress

He was fairly consistent as a catch and shoot player, connecting on 44.6% of his catch and shoot shots, per Synergy, despite the fact that a majority of them came from three-point range and the fact that over 68% of them were contested. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Lonzo-Ball-7229/ ©DraftExpress

One, perhaps unexpected, area where Ball contributes offensively is cutting off the ball, something he did more than most point guards because of the presence of Aaron Holiday sharing the backcourt frequently. Ball has a real knack for lulling his defender to sleep off the ball, then using hard backdoor cuts to create scoring opportunities. His athleticism comes to light in these instances, and he has the ability to rise up and throw down lobs with regularity. 48% of Ball's non-transition baskets at the rim were assisted, which highlights both his ability to move off the ball along with his struggles creating his own shot off the dribble. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Lonzo-Ball-7229/ ©DraftExpress
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by 12footrim » Fri May 26, 2017 8:32 pm

arasu wrote:
12footrim wrote:
the_process wrote:

He is known for playing well off the ball and spotting up. His shot may be ugly, but it goes in. The Warriors use multiple playmakers, so why wouldn't the 76ers?

For a player who was such a focal point offensively and who generated so many scoring opportunities for his teammates, the ball didn't stick with Ball, allowing other players to serve as playmakers and encouraging constant movement from his teammates. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Lonzo-Ball-7229/ ©DraftExpress

He was fairly consistent as a catch and shoot player, connecting on 44.6% of his catch and shoot shots, per Synergy, despite the fact that a majority of them came from three-point range and the fact that over 68% of them were contested. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Lonzo-Ball-7229/ ©DraftExpress

One, perhaps unexpected, area where Ball contributes offensively is cutting off the ball, something he did more than most point guards because of the presence of Aaron Holiday sharing the backcourt frequently. Ball has a real knack for lulling his defender to sleep off the ball, then using hard backdoor cuts to create scoring opportunities. His athleticism comes to light in these instances, and he has the ability to rise up and throw down lobs with regularity. 48% of Ball's non-transition baskets at the rim were assisted, which highlights both his ability to move off the ball along with his struggles creating his own shot off the dribble. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Lonzo-Ball-7229/ ©DraftExpress

He shot 3 freaking three pointers in college. You really think he can shoot or be a threat in the NBA :lol:

The guy writes with one hand and shoots with the other. That's the problem.

He also finishes around the basket with the hand he writes with clearly he should be shooting with that hand. There is a video that address this all clearly I've seen on these boards before. He's not even shooting with his best hand. How are you going to fix that.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by 12footrim » Fri May 26, 2017 8:38 pm

arasu wrote: .

Here I found an old post for you.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2016/2/16/10966798/ben-simmons-nba-draft-scouting-report-jump-shot

Just look at this crap

Some guy tracked Simmions shots and he finished with his right hand 81.5% of the time on non jumpers. Left had 3.8%. Great gif on there as well that even when the easier shot is with the left his instinct is to finish with his right.

He's so screwed up he jumps off his right foot and finishes with his right hand to which is a no no unless you want to be more likely to get blocked. Basically I don't think he's ever going to have a reliable jumper when he's not even shooting with his best hand.

How do you even learn to shoot with the wrong hand, much less when your father is a pro basketball player and you are around coaches and pros your formative years. Mind blowing.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#20 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri May 26, 2017 8:44 pm

MaxRider wrote:

either he knows Celtics won't pick him or he's worrying about playing time in Boston

I remember Lavar saying in an interview Celts had Isaiah already and there was not enough playing time there. How about what Lonzo wants though?
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,

Return to Wiretap Discussion