LeBron James Fully Plans On Owning An NBA Franchise

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

LeBron James Fully Plans On Owning An NBA Franchise 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue May 30, 2017 6:03 pm

LeBron James confirmed he has interest in owning an NBA franchise when his playing career is over.

“We’re gonna still be together,” James said of Maverick Carter, Randy Mims and agent Rich Paul.

“I will own a team someday,” he said to Ken Berger of The Athletic, with emphasis.  “That’s my next thing.”

While James has ventures in media and entertainment, owning an NBA franchise is something he's obsessed with.

“Why do I want to own team?” he said. “I think it’ll be cool. I’ll stay part of the game and still be able to put people in positions of power. I’ve always loved that, putting people in a position of power to feel like they can make a change and make things happen.”

Via Ken Berger/The Athletic

Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Re: LeBron James Fully Plans On Owning An NBA Franchise 

Post#2 » by Sam195 » Tue May 30, 2017 6:20 pm

League will probably offer him an expansion franchise like they did for Michael Jordan - it's the cheapest way to own a team instead of paying ridiculous premiums like Ballmer paid for the clippers. Maybe Lebron brings the nba back to Seattle who knows?
MJallday59
Veteran
And1: 116

Post#3 » by MJallday59 » Tue May 30, 2017 6:33 pm

Sam195 wrote:League will probably offer him an expansion franchise like they did for Michael Jordan - it's the cheapest way to own a team instead of paying ridiculous premiums like Ballmer paid for the clippers. Maybe Lebron brings the nba back to Seattle who knows?

Exactly my thoughts. Seattle or maybe Vegas?
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#4 » by hyberx » Tue May 30, 2017 6:37 pm

Sam195 wrote:League will probably offer him an expansion franchise like they did for Michael Jordan - it's the cheapest way to own a team instead of paying ridiculous premiums like Ballmer paid for the clippers. Maybe Lebron brings the nba back to Seattle who knows?

That expansion team wasn't offered to MJ first. He bought it from the last owner, mostly took over the debt owned by the team.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,976

Post#5 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue May 30, 2017 7:18 pm

buy the knicks from dolan, please.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Sam195
Analyst

Post#6 » by Sam195 » Tue May 30, 2017 7:48 pm

hyberx wrote:

That expansion team wasn't offered to MJ first. He bought it from the last owner, mostly took over the debt owned by the team.

MJ was first a minority owner in the group I believe and his ownership agreement had an option of first refusal to buy out stakes if the other owners wanted to sell. And he eventually used that to buy and own rest of the team.
RandomRaptorfan
Veteran
And1: 2,404

Post#7 » by RandomRaptorfan » Tue May 30, 2017 8:32 pm

He probably still doesn't like Dan Gilbert, this is laying the foundation to take the franchise from him someday. He's already the cavs' coach and GM, now the lucrative title of owner is all that's left for him to completely become one with the team.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#8 » by likashing » Tue May 30, 2017 8:39 pm

Being from Arkon, and his apparent dislike of Gilbert, plus him already directing coaching and GM duties, his first choice is obviously taking the Cavs from Gilbert. This way, he can take possession of *his* ring, instead of leaving it for Gilbert.

It won't be an easy task though as team values keep going up. He needs to get a few more of these $200m player contracts, a couple more billion dollar Nike contracts, and play until 50 before he can buy Gilbert out.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,312

Post#9 » by GEOLINK » Tue May 30, 2017 8:52 pm

Come buy the Knicks, LeBron!
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,451

Post#10 » by Revived » Tue May 30, 2017 8:53 pm

likashing wrote:Being from Arkon, and his apparent dislike of Gilbert, plus him already directing coaching and GM duties, his first choice is obviously taking the Cavs from Gilbert. This way, he can take possession of *his* ring, instead of leaving it for Gilbert.

It won't be an easy task though as team values keep going up. He needs to get a few more of these $200m player contracts, a couple more billion dollar Nike contracts, and play until 50 before he can buy Gilbert out.

He has plenty of other business ventures that make him money too. He's part owner of Beats by Dre, has a huge investment in Blaze Pizza among many other things.
Vibranium
Rookie
And1: 1,938

Post#11 » by Vibranium » Tue May 30, 2017 8:58 pm

Yeah but the team they gave MJ was set in his hometown.
Read on Twitter
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,834

Post#12 » by spree2kawhi » Tue May 30, 2017 9:19 pm

Never stops: Me myself and I.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,397

Post#13 » by JonFromVA » Tue May 30, 2017 9:31 pm

The Cavs will plummet in value the day he retires, which gives him some interesting leverage.
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,871

Post#14 » by LakersLegacy » Tue May 30, 2017 9:40 pm

JonFromVA wrote:The Cavs will plummet in value the day he retires, which gives him some interesting leverage.

He should wait a few years let the Cavs devalue and then buy a piece of the team. I hope he buys that team.

Hope he doesn't pull an MJ and buy a different team. So
Much cooler to stay part of the org that he help build up as a player.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,750

Post#15 » by madmaxmedia » Tue May 30, 2017 10:33 pm

He should maybe look into getting some KooKooRoo's instead.
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,393

Post#16 » by phanman » Tue May 30, 2017 10:40 pm

LakersLegacy wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:The Cavs will plummet in value the day he retires, which gives him some interesting leverage.

He should wait a few years let the Cavs devalue and then buy a piece of the team. I hope he buys that team.

Highly doubt that Gilbert would ever sell his team :lol: Guy is currently worth 5.8B he'll never be hurting for money enough to sell that team.
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#17 » by luss54321 » Tue May 30, 2017 10:41 pm

LakersLegacy wrote:

I agree, but not MJ's fault he couldn't buy the Bulls. First of all, Chicago is the 4th most valuable franchise in the NBA and Charlotte is 28th. Also, the Reinsdorfs are terrible terrible owners who unfortunately have never been interested in selling the team. Plus, MJ grew up in NC, so that's cool.
Lava Rock Kid
Sixth Man
And1: 358

Post#18 » by Lava Rock Kid » Tue May 30, 2017 11:01 pm

Lets hope he is a better owner than Jordan. How good of a business man can he be. Can he step aside and be the face of the franchise, but hire good people to run the day to day operations and big decisions like other successful owners do.
deepeeenn
Senior
And1: 522

Post#19 » by deepeeenn » Tue May 30, 2017 11:06 pm

likashing wrote:Being from Arkon, and his apparent dislike of Gilbert, plus him already directing coaching and GM duties, his first choice is obviously taking the Cavs from Gilbert. This way, he can take possession of *his* ring, instead of leaving it for Gilbert.

Let this sink into anyone that has a hard time grasping how stupid rich some people in the world are. One of, if not the most lucrative HOF players, currently playing has to do what? in order to possibly buy a team from a billionaire? Crazy...

Imagine what Dan Gilbert and many other billionaires had to do for their money...
Being a Blazer fan isn't exactly healthy.
Sam195
Analyst

Post#20 » by Sam195 » Tue May 30, 2017 11:09 pm

Revived wrote:

He has plenty of other business ventures that make him money too. He's part owner of Beats by Dre, has a huge investment in Blaze Pizza among many other things.

He already cashed out of Beats when Apple acquired them - he was initially given an equity stake in beats as compensation to do some commercials and be a brand ambassador. And Blaze pizza with its prices ain't toppling Pizza Hut, Dominos or Little Caesar's anytime soon. And his deal with Nike is pennies compared to Jordan's setup with majority ownership in the Jordan Brand which is basically Nike doing all the work and paying Jordan hundreds of millions to license his name.

Return to Wiretap Discussion