Chris Paul Expected To Meet With Clippers, Spurs, Nuggets, Rockets

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:15 pm

Chris Paul plans to meet with the Los Angeles Clippers, San Antonio Spurs, Houston Rockets and Denver Nuggets in free agency.

Paul can earn $205 million over five years with the Clippers, or $152 million over four years with another team.

The Clippers have recently become “nervous” about the reports that San Antonio will make a big push to sign Paul.

The Spurs and Rockets finished with the second and third seeds in the Western Conference. Denver just missed out on the playoffs but they have a promising young core with a lot of depth.

Via Broderick Turner/Los Angeles Times

GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,049

Re: Chris Paul Expected To Meet With Clippers, Spurs, Nuggets, Rockets 

Post#2 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:47 pm

Nuggets? Didn't see that coming.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#3 » by hyberx » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:55 pm

53 million reasons says he would stay with the clippers. Plus it is LA.
coopnyc74
Pro Prospect
And1: 451

Post#4 » by coopnyc74 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:03 pm

hyberx wrote:53 million reasons says he would stay with the clippers. Plus it is LA.

Plus he won't win a championship there, so if he cares about doing that he bounces.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,967

Post#5 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:50 pm

SuperDario wrote:Nuggets? Didn't see that coming.

:lol: word
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Brushman34
Freshman
And1: 2

Post#6 » by Brushman34 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:51 pm

I think CP3 is ready for a new challenge. I mean GSW were only 16-1, I think with CP3 they can go undefeated next postseason. Presents a great new challenge, and, hey, who knows, he may just get a ring.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#7 » by Donnyxc » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:15 pm

Brushman34 wrote:I think CP3 is ready for a new challenge. I mean GSW were only 16-1, I think with CP3 they can go undefeated next postseason. Presents a great new challenge, and, hey, who knows, he may just get a ring.

Lol.

If only GSW didn't have another guard to pay $205 million.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
RightToCensor
Head Coach
And1: 7,410

Post#8 » by RightToCensor » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:26 pm

Pass unless he plans up bring Team Banana Boat to Houston on discounts.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#9 » by macNcheese3 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:47 pm

Denver? Just look when Aldridge took a meeting with the Raptors- it just wasn't a reality of him going there. Paul is smart to do his due diligence but DEN is not winning big anytime soon with or without him.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,447

Post#10 » by Revived » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:52 pm

Why isn't he smart enough to join an ECF team rather than meeting with all teams in the West?

Cavs are easier to knock off than the Warriors. Plus East only has Cavs while West has Warriors, Spurs, Rockets etc.

CP3 should consider a team like the Bucks. He can play some off ball there too with Giannis controlling the ball which would increase CP3's longevity in the league and make him even more efficient IMO.
Pukovnik
Senior
And1: 168

Post#11 » by Pukovnik » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:10 pm

No chance he goes to either Houston or Denver. In Houston, this season James Harden has become the teams playmaker, a primary ball handler, what good would it do to put Paul in that situation? Rockets need a defensive minded center to compliment Clint Capela. With Denver, they are far worst then the Clippers, why would he go there with his age? Spurs are more realistic option. Paul, Leonard and Aldridge would be a good competition to Warriors.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#12 » by Sam195 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:23 pm

Pukovnik wrote:No chance he goes to either Houston or Denver. In Houston, this season James Harden has become the teams playmaker, a primary ball handler, what good would it do to put Paul in that situation? Rockets need a defensive minded center to compliment Clint Capela. With Denver, they are far worst then the Clippers, why would he go there with his age? Spurs are more realistic option. Paul, Leonard and Aldridge would be a good competition to Warriors.

People are so dumb its hilarious. The fact the nuggets are on the list easily proves it's a negotiating tactic. Clippers are willing to max him out at full 5 years - the sticking point is that CP3 wants a no-trade clause like melo has in new york. In effect, having his cake and eating it to. After resigning if clippers are still awful in a year than he can ask for a trade and control the situation with his ntc veto trades to destinations he does not want to go. Also the ASG is in LA next year and it has been reported that CP3 has engaged in talks with Adam Silver to change the format, plan events and make the whole experience more entertaining for both players and fans. Honesty, I don't see him leaving Clippers than coming back to LA next year either as an allstar from another team or NBAPA president maybe even both and get booed everywhere he's seen. I think even if clippers stay stubborn he will resign maybe even get a trade kicker of 15% so at least he can get some more money from Ballmer (current teams pay trade kickers now) if he gets moved.
bpcox05
Veteran
And1: 481

Post#13 » by bpcox05 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:39 pm

Revived wrote:Why isn't he smart enough to join an ECF team rather than meeting with all teams in the West?

Cavs are easier to knock off than the Warriors. Plus East only has Cavs while West has Warriors, Spurs, Rockets etc.

CP3 should consider a team like the Bucks. He can play some off ball there too with Giannis controlling the ball which would increase CP3's longevity in the league and make him even more efficient IMO.

Paul on the Bucks would be interesting. Paul/Middleton/Giannis/Parker has a lot of promise and we'd get to see a Paul vs. Irving and Giannis vs. LeBron matchup.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#14 » by Sam195 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:53 pm

bpcox05 wrote:
Revived wrote:Why isn't he smart enough to join an ECF team rather than meeting with all teams in the West?

Paul on the Bucks would be interesting. Paul/Middleton/Giannis/Parker has a lot of promise and we'd get to see a Paul vs. Irving and Giannis vs. LeBron matchup.

CP3 wife jumping up and down thinking of the transition from LA summers to Milwaukee winters !!!
OleSchool
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,344

Post#15 » by OleSchool » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:13 am

all due respect to the Nuggets fans but why the Nuggets?
NYSixersFan wrote:quite simply, If I were GM, We would have a good young playoff team right now; with cap flexibility going forward

NYSixersFan wrote:I'D BE more then happy to debate you or anyone else on specifics

NYSixersFan wrote:How can I give you specifics? I'm not talking to other GM's
totalrekall
Senior
And1: 49

Post#16 » by totalrekall » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:30 am

I can see him opting for a one yr deal so he can team up w/ LeBron next offseason. if he has no interest in playing w/ LeBron he will obviously take the max and stay w/ the Clips. if I were CP I would take a one yr deal w/ the team/coach I most want to play for and keep my options open.
where can I win a championship next yr? absolutely not w/ the Nuggets(no idea why they are even in the mix). certainly not w/ the Clippers. they arent even close to the Warriors. nor are the Rockets(Harden is an extremely ball dominant player so I dont even see how adding CP helps that team). its like having two starting PGs they cant both have the ball. I see the Spurs as by far the best option. he can play alongside Kawhi and will do wonders to help revive whats left of LaMarcus Aldridge. still dont see them challenging the Warriors necessarily but thats his best chance
Paul Overt
Sophomore
And1: 25

Post#17 » by Paul Overt » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:32 am

and Pelicans?

Paul alredy forgot New Orleans?
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#18 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:28 am

hyberx wrote:53 million reasons says he would stay with the clippers. Plus it is LA.

It's not $53M extra unless he has a career ending injury. If he's still playing he will still get paid for the fifth year, just on another contract. And LA has a significant disadvantage in income tax. Not to mention crazy traffic and higher cost of real estate.
2hard2guard
Junior
And1: 15

Post#19 » by 2hard2guard » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:29 am

If he lands with Rockets warriors maybe should really fear the beard & 1
Tussin33
Sophomore
And1: 38

Post#20 » by Tussin33 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:53 am

I'm sick of the overrated Rockets. They never had a shot to beat the Warriors or Spurs. I think the Celtics & Wizards are better than Houston too.

[/quote]
Paul on the Bucks would be interesting. Paul/Middleton/Giannis/Parker has a lot of promise and we'd get to see a Paul vs. Irving and Giannis vs. LeBron matchup.[/quote]
Don't forget Maker!

totalrekall wrote:where can I win a championship next yr? absolutely not w/ the Nuggets(no idea why they are even in the mix). certainly not w/ the Clippers. they arent even close to the Warriors. nor are the Rockets(Harden is an extremely ball dominant player so I dont even see how adding CP helps that team). its like having two starting PGs they cant both have the ball. I see the Spurs as by far the best option. he can play alongside Kawhi and will do wonders to help revive whats left of LaMarcus Aldridge. still dont see them challenging the Warriors necessarily but thats his best chance

I agree with everything you said except the Nuggets. Comparing the Nuggets to the Clippers, I like Jokic better than Jordan & Blake. He's not limited at certain things like they are, he's a young, hasn't reached his prime yet, all around great player. The team is also much deeper than the Clippers. He's used to himself or Blake getting hurt. On the other hand, choosing Denver over the Spurs is absolutely outrageous.

Return to Wiretap Discussion