Otto Porter Agrees To Four-Year, $106M Deal With Nets

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Otto Porter Agrees To Four-Year, $106M Deal With Nets 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jul 5, 2017 1:42 am

The Brooklyn Nets and Otto Porter have agreed upon a four-year, $106 million offer sheet.

Via Shams Charania/The Vertical

MrNYYNYGNYK
Junior
And1: 20

Re: Otto Porter Agrees To Four-Year, $106M Deal With Nets 

Post#2 » by MrNYYNYGNYK » Wed Jul 5, 2017 1:58 am

Wiz are just sitting back happy as hell because they won't have to pay Porter the 5 year max which will save them millions even though I don't think Porter is worth a max either way!
Takwin
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#3 » by Takwin » Wed Jul 5, 2017 2:17 am

The Wizards did all of this just so they could match a 4-year max at a slightly less rate. They will 100% match this.
Bobalob
Bench Warmer
And1: 882

Post#4 » by Bobalob » Wed Jul 5, 2017 2:23 am

I can't help if think of the movie money ball.

Porter doesn't do any work 1 on 1. Spot up 3s and a lil versality is NOT worth the max I don't care what the market is.

Signing him will at BEST make you like the Clippers, a team wth its hands tied for years bc 1 of your big 3 is offensively challenged.

I'd let him walk, give Oubre his minutes, and sign a Nick young type or available wing. Wait out a player for that max deal. (Cousins is a FA next year)

Porter on a max is sealing your fate
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#5 » by PDXKnight » Wed Jul 5, 2017 3:50 am

Bobalob wrote:I can't help if think of the movie money ball.

Porter doesn't do any work 1 on 1. Spot up 3s and a lil versality is NOT worth the max I don't care what the market is.

Signing him will at BEST make you like the Clippers, a team wth its hands tied for years bc 1 of your big 3 is offensively challenged.

I'd let him walk, give Oubre his minutes, and sign a Nick young type or available wing. Wait out a player for that max deal. (Cousins is a FA next year)

Rfa max is significantly less than supermax money. I don't think it's too far off these days
BatumtheGlue
Starter
And1: 441

Post#6 » by BatumtheGlue » Wed Jul 5, 2017 3:57 am

I wonder what Wall's reaction after he heard this news :lol:
Mamut menteng ureh utusku, isen mulang jite penyangku.
Credit to amcoolio for the signature .gif.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,810

Post#7 » by HotelVitale » Wed Jul 5, 2017 4:04 am

Bobalob wrote:I can't help if think of the movie money ball. Porter doesn't do any work 1 on 1. Spot up 3s and a lil versality is NOT worth the max I don't care what the market is. Signing him will at BEST make you like the Clippers, a team wth its hands tied for years bc 1 of your big 3 is offensively challenged. I'd let him walk, give Oubre his minutes, and sign a Nick young type or available wing. Wait out a player for that max deal. (Cousins is a FA next year) Porter on a max is sealing your fate

You seem a little too far behind the conversation to be quoting Moneyball! The RFA 'max' here is just 25% of the cap, a lot less than the max given to vets (like CP3 soon), and those contracts are usually very tradeable since they're given to young starters. Virtually every player that's signed those contracts over the past decade plus has been tradeable, and if Porter plays anywhere near as well as he did last year in coming years then he'll net a great price if the Wiz decide to trade him.

Porter was also pretty awesome offensive player last year, you won't find a stat that doesn't love his performance on that side of the ball. You don't need iso players when you already have 2 high usage creators, much better to have utility guys who can spread the floor and take care of the ball (Porter had a ridiculousy low .6 TOs per game last year)

Also the Wiz are also already at the cap this year and next with or without Porter--they'd need to shed something like $30m to offer Cousins a contract, and you're asking them to let a good young starter walk plus drop those other contracts so they can maybe maybe have a 5% chance of signing him.
IAMZOOTED
Pro Prospect
And1: 99

Post#8 » by IAMZOOTED » Wed Jul 5, 2017 4:09 am

He's not worth the money, but he is an important part of their team, losing him would have really hurt.
dan-man wrote:These guys are EASILY the second best team in the NBA. Time to figure out how to keep all these awful Eastern Conference teams out of the playoffs.

^ After the Timberwolves signed Jamal Crawford.
Bobalob
Bench Warmer

Post#9 » by Bobalob » Wed Jul 5, 2017 4:33 am

HotelVitale wrote:
Bobalob wrote:I can't help if think of the movie money ball. Porter doesn't do any work 1 on 1. Spot up 3s and a lil versality is NOT worth the max I don't care what the market is. Signing him will at BEST make you like the Clippers, a team wth its hands tied for years bc 1 of your big 3 is offensively challenged. I'd let him walk, give Oubre his minutes, and sign a Nick young type or available wing. Wait out a player for that max deal. (Cousins is a FA next year) Porter on a max is sealing your fate

You seem a little too far behind the conversation to be quoting Moneyball! The RFA 'max' here is just 25% of the cap, a lot less than the max given to vets (like CP3 soon), and those contracts are usually very tradeable since they're given to young starters. Virtually every player that's signed those contracts over the past decade plus has been tradeable, and if Porter plays anywhere near as well as he did last year in coming years then he'll net a great price if the Wiz decide to trade him.

Porter was also pretty awesome offensive player last year, you won't find a stat that doesn't love his performance on that side of the ball. You don't need iso players when you already have 2 high usage creators, much better to have utility guys who can spread the floor and take care of the ball (Porter had a ridiculousy low .6 TOs per game last year)

Also the Wiz are also already at the cap this year and next with or without Porter--they'd need to shed something like $30m to offer Cousins a contract, and you're asking them to let a good young starter walk plus drop those other contracts so they can maybe maybe have a 5% chance of signing him.

To everyone who replied to me, please answer this yes or no:

While paying Beal, Wall, and Porter is there any logical scenario where you can afford a player better than Porter? Yes or no?

If your answer is yes, PLEASE brake it down for me. If your answer is no, my point stands. There's teams where an Otto porter would be the 5th best player on the team. By paying him that money---RFA max, 4% increase, 10% increase, I don't care lol--- you're locking your franchise in to those 3 as your best and that's not gonna cut it. I'm no expert on the money but I'm pretty damn sure wth 3 guys getting 100 mill you can't afford anyone else of note.

And let's not let that get us lost on the most important part: He's not. That. Good.
Bobalob
Bench Warmer

Post#10 » by Bobalob » Wed Jul 5, 2017 4:38 am

Portland 'couldn't afford to let go' young up n coming Allen Crabbe

Atlanta 'couldn't afford to let go' of young up and coming Kent Bazemore

A year later we laugh at those deals. Y'all hard headed! Lol
IAMZOOTED
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by IAMZOOTED » Wed Jul 5, 2017 4:54 am

Bobalob wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

To everyone who replied to me, please answer this yes or no:

While paying Beal, Wall, and Porter is there any logical scenario where you can afford a player better than Porter? Yes or no?

If your answer is yes, PLEASE brake it down for me. If your answer is no, my point stands. There's teams where an Otto porter would be the 5th best player on the team. By paying him that money---RFA max, 4% increase, 10% increase, I don't care lol--- you're locking your franchise in to those 3 as your best and that's not gonna cut it. I'm no expert on the money but I'm pretty damn sure wth 3 guys getting 100 mill you can't afford anyone else of note.

And let's not let that get us lost on the most important part: He's not. That. Good.

It doesn't matter, because nobody better wants to go there.
dan-man wrote:These guys are EASILY the second best team in the NBA. Time to figure out how to keep all these awful Eastern Conference teams out of the playoffs.

IAMZOOTED
Pro Prospect

Post#12 » by IAMZOOTED » Wed Jul 5, 2017 4:59 am

Bobalob wrote:Portland 'couldn't afford to let go' young up n coming Allen Crabbe

You're really comparing those two to Porter?

Bobalob
Bench Warmer

Post#13 » by Bobalob » Wed Jul 5, 2017 5:42 am

IAMZOOTED wrote:
Bobalob wrote:Portland 'couldn't afford to let go' young up n coming Allen Crabbe

The guy who has a small sample size and modest numbers on an overachieving squad and gets resigned to big numbers with the hopes that, bc of his age, he'll blossom but in all actuality he is who he is and will make you regret overpaying?

Yes. Yes I am comparing him to them
IAMZOOTED
Pro Prospect

Post#14 » by IAMZOOTED » Wed Jul 5, 2017 5:56 am

Bobalob wrote:
IAMZOOTED wrote:

The guy who has a small sample size and modest numbers on an overachieving squad and gets resigned to big numbers with the hopes that, bc of his age, he'll blossom but in all actuality he is who he is and will make you regret overpaying?

Yes. Yes I am comparing him to them

Bazemore is 28, Otto porter is 24. Porter shot over 43% from three.. you're talking trash because he doesn't create for himself, he's playing with John wall and Bradley Beal, it's not necessary for them to have someone else that can create, they do need a 3 point shooter and someone that plays solid defense, he does that.

Yes, they overpaid for him ( just like a lot of teams have overpaid for a lot of players) but he's a good fit for their team and no one wants to go to Washington.

And he just turned 24, you're acting like he won't improve, that's insane, he's not even in his prime yet and he barely played before the 2015-2016 season

IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#15 » by IWishIWasHarden » Wed Jul 5, 2017 6:01 am

BatumtheGlue wrote:I wonder what Wall's reaction after he heard this news :lol:

:crazy:
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#16 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Jul 5, 2017 6:38 am

The poaching of RFAs by the Marksman is beginning again?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Pukovnik
Senior
And1: 168

Post#17 » by Pukovnik » Wed Jul 5, 2017 8:43 am

Of course they are going to match the offer sheet. Wizards management was abysmal this free agent period, they didn't bring any significant players and losing Otto Porter would be another huge blow. They couldn't let that happen.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#18 » by Donnyxc » Wed Jul 5, 2017 1:27 pm

What's interesting is the Wizards can hold up Brooklyn by keeping the Max Offer sheet out there. Wait for Porter to pass his physical, and just keep that offer money off their books for a few days.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Bobalob
Bench Warmer

Post#19 » by Bobalob » Wed Jul 5, 2017 1:29 pm

IAMZOOTED wrote:

He's not worth the money, but he is an important part of their team, losing him would have really hurt.

Kinda like staying with a girl you know aint ish but you afraid to be single, no?
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#20 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Wed Jul 5, 2017 2:52 pm

Bobalob wrote:
IAMZOOTED wrote:

Kinda like staying with a girl you know aint ish but you afraid to be single, no?

You've got it all wrong.

The Wizards don't intend to keep Porter, they're going to use the signing as part of a trade to acquire a higher profile player.

He's the only single asset the Wizards can afford to move that will bring back anything of significance.

So it's not like holding onto a worthless girl due to fears of being alone.

1. As stated earlier the Wizards don't have any intent on him playing out his contract in Washington...they aren't "staying with him".

2. He has value. Proof is the Jazz, Nets, and Kings willing to give him a max deal...he isn't like a girl that you stick with despite knowing "ain't ish".

Return to Wiretap Discussion