Gordon Hayward's Agent Tells Story Of Free Agency Process

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Gordon Hayward's Agent Tells Story Of Free Agency Process 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jul 5, 2017 6:45 pm

Gordon Hayward had a chaotic decision process on the Fourth of July in which it was reported he chose the Boston Celtics, but that report surfaced before he had finalized his decision.

"This entire process was gut wrenching for him," said Mark Bartelstein. "Utah has done an incredible job. That was an incredible situation for him."

Hayward met with the Celtics, Utah Jazz and Miami Heat in free agency and after each meeting, he felt as though he would sign with that team.

"There were a lot of looks done before July 1 to narrow it down to Miami, Boston and Utah."

Hayward met first with the Heat and was blown away by their presentation.

"My god, I think this is the spot," said Hayward to Bartelstein following his meeting with the Heat.

"I think this is a wrap. I think this is the place for me," Hayward told Bartelstein after the Boston meeting.

"Utah nailed everything to make Gordon feel like this was the place to stay," said Bartelstein.

Hayward was back to thinking he couldn't leave Utah following their 3.5 hour meeting.

"Hayward was leaning towards staying with Utah on Monday night," said Bartelstein. 

On Tuesday morning, Hayward began to lean towards choosing Boston. As that happened, news broke that Hayward had decided to sign with the Celtics.

Bartelstein then called the teams and the media as Hayward had not yet made a final decision. Hayward's decision came several hours later.

"A long time ago we made the decision to go through The Players Tribune," said Bartelstein.

Bartelstein said Hayward had been writing his piece with three different versions over the past week.

Via Ryen Russillo/ESPN

cthunshammer
Sophomore
And1: 165

Re: Gordon Hayward's Agent Tells Story Of Free Agency Process 

Post#2 » by cthunshammer » Wed Jul 5, 2017 7:27 pm

I'm sorry, I don't understand how someone can write three different 'decision' essays and admit it without looking like a disingenuous fool.

This makes it all look worse. The Players Tribune is also going to quickly becomes a meme'd laughing stock whenever 'big' free agents sign somewhere, if it hasn't already.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#3 » by stitches » Wed Jul 5, 2017 7:28 pm

Lol, I call bull!
totalrekall
Senior
And1: 49

Post#4 » by totalrekall » Wed Jul 5, 2017 8:46 pm

I believe Gordon hadnt made up his mind. this was likely an emotional decision for him, where he wrestled w/ the idea of letting people down and what he in his heart wanted to do. he probably went back an forth about where to go. so I could easily see more than three drafts being written. every time he felt differently about his decision it would have been rewritten.

its very likely writing out each option was part of his decision making process as well. sometimes putting each option in writing can help to make the best choice more evident.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#5 » by Daddy 801 » Wed Jul 5, 2017 9:38 pm

This is factually not true. The time stamp of various tweets prove this to be false. It's a narrative to try and keep up his golden nice boy image. He knew for a long time. He had the Jazz specifically make moves to appease him. All lies.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#6 » by zero24gravity » Wed Jul 5, 2017 9:38 pm

Gordon can go enjoy playing Junior Varsity basketball in the Least. He obviously doesn't want competition, and is looking for an easy ride through the regular season (with ZERO better chance of a title). His letter and the way he dealt with the whole situation was totally self serving, screwing the Jazz not just by leaving, but by not telling him their intentions early enough that they could plan for it. You don't do that if you care for the franchise, it's players and fans.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#7 » by Donnyxc » Wed Jul 5, 2017 10:04 pm

zero24gravity wrote:Gordon can go enjoy playing Junior Varsity basketball in the Least. He obviously doesn't want competition, and is looking for an easy ride through the regular season (with ZERO better chance of a title). His letter and the way he dealt with the whole situation was totally self serving, screwing the Jazz not just by leaving, but by not telling him their intentions early enough that they could plan for it. You don't do that if you care for the franchise, it's players and fans.

More like Salty Lake City.

Daddy 801 wrote:This is factually not true. The time stamp of various tweets prove this to be false. It's a narrative to try and keep up his golden nice boy image. He knew for a long time. He had the Jazz specifically make moves to appease him. All lies.

Hard to take this seriously when you're using Tweet Time-Stamps as a method of proving Facts.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#8 » by Daddy 801 » Wed Jul 5, 2017 10:25 pm

Donnyxc wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:Gordon can go enjoy playing Junior Varsity basketball in the Least. He obviously doesn't want competition, and is looking for an easy ride through the regular season (with ZERO better chance of a title). His letter and the way he dealt with the whole situation was totally self serving, screwing the Jazz not just by leaving, but by not telling him their intentions early enough that they could plan for it. You don't do that if you care for the franchise, it's players and fans.

Daddy 801 wrote:This is factually not true. The time stamp of various tweets prove this to be false. It's a narrative to try and keep up his golden nice boy image. He knew for a long time. He had the Jazz specifically make moves to appease him. All lies.

Hard to take this seriously when you're using Tweet Time-Stamps as a method of proving Facts.

Well, timestamps prove things in courts of law. So its not really a weird thing.

I've been saying for years Hayward was going to bounce. Utah was stupid to hold onto him. The GM has this to answer for. Sure, the fan in me at times wanted him to stay and was hopeful. But, the writing was on the wall. I have no problem with players leaving. I do have a problem with players leaving and screwing their teams in the process. Players when they know they are leaving should let their teams know well in advance to not leave them high and dry. Especially when a team has done everything for the player and made specific moves at the players request. PG did his team right by telling them he was not going to resign. I have respect for that.

Yes, Salty as hell. He said he feels indebted to Utah. Well, he easily could have told Ainge that he would come to Boston but that he wanted a sign and trade so Utah had a Crowder or Bradley on the team to at least reduce the damage done by him leaving. He didn't do that, so his indebted line is pure bull****.

Again, Salty as hell.

My Salty would never result in attacking someones wife on social media though. The only "social" media I have is RealGM.

Boston is also a team I follow. Lived in CT for years. They are going to love Hayward. He is a great addition. The Celts fan in me knew he would leave. It's a better destination with the reduced competition, LeBron aging, ton of assets Boston has, and the connection with his old coach. I also said years ago I though Gasol would be a guy they go after. Smart move if Ainge can do it without using prime assets. Tip of the hat to Ainge. But I still think hayward is a puss.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by zero24gravity » Wed Jul 5, 2017 11:52 pm

Donnyxc wrote:

Like I'd expect anything different from the Junior Varsity cheerleader, pretending she/he is cheering for the big kid's team.

Facts are facts, little fella. The East is a disgrace at this point in NBA history. LBJ and a bunch of teams who might make a 6th, 7th or 8th seed in the West.

Salty, yup, and with good reason. But being salty doesn't change truth.
sunevisions
Pro Prospect
And1: 107

Post#10 » by sunevisions » Thu Jul 6, 2017 12:38 am

B***sh*t

Keep talking, keep lying
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#11 » by luss54321 » Thu Jul 6, 2017 4:47 am

Boston has a significantly better roster and they play in a significantly easier conference. I would say the move greatly improves his chance of winning a tile.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by zero24gravity » Thu Jul 6, 2017 4:50 am

luss54321 wrote:

Boston has a significantly better roster and they play in a significantly easier conference. I would say the move greatly improves his chance of winning a tile.

Zero percent is zero percent. Neither Utah or Boston are challenging GS (or LeBron), so no, he has no better chance with the Celtics. Sorry
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#13 » by Donnyxc » Thu Jul 6, 2017 1:05 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:
Donnyxc wrote:

Well, timestamps prove things in courts of law. So its not really a weird thing.

I've been saying for years Hayward was going to bounce. Utah was stupid to hold onto him. The GM has this to answer for. Sure, the fan in me at times wanted him to stay and was hopeful. But, the writing was on the wall. I have no problem with players leaving. I do have a problem with players leaving and screwing their teams in the process. Players when they know they are leaving should let their teams know well in advance to not leave them high and dry. Especially when a team has done everything for the player and made specific moves at the players request. PG did his team right by telling them he was not going to resign. I have respect for that.

Yes, Salty as hell. He said he feels indebted to Utah. Well, he easily could have told Ainge that he would come to Boston but that he wanted a sign and trade so Utah had a Crowder or Bradley on the team to at least reduce the damage done by him leaving. He didn't do that, so his indebted line is pure bull****.

Again, Salty as hell.

My Salty would never result in attacking someones wife on social media though. The only "social" media I have is RealGM.

Boston is also a team I follow. Lived in CT for years. They are going to love Hayward. He is a great addition. The Celts fan in me knew he would leave. It's a better destination with the reduced competition, LeBron aging, ton of assets Boston has, and the connection with his old coach. I also said years ago I though Gasol would be a guy they go after. Smart move if Ainge can do it without using prime assets. Tip of the hat to Ainge. But I still think hayward is a puss.

Maybe you'll get Jae Crowder or Bradley out of all of this?

I've actually been to Park City to visit friends, Utah is a very nice area. Underrated for sure.

I am actually curious based on the time stamps what is leading you to believe Hayward was definitely leaving prior to July . Because I see a lot of (justifiably) upset Jazz fans and a lot of discussion about "loyalty". However, I have yet to see a good case for Gordon stringing along the Jazz. I don't agree that you can determine loyalty based on Free Agency. People have ties, people hear pitches.

The Charlotte contract he signed in 2014, I could believe that could have affected things. But was there twitter rumbling from Gordon behind it? The Team had options to trade him, but they were confident in their pitch to re-sign him. They almost did, The Brad Stevens factor turned out to be the driving factor.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley

Return to Wiretap Discussion