Andre Roberson Agrees To Three-Year, $30M Deal With Thunder

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Andre Roberson Agrees To Three-Year, $30M Deal With Thunder 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jul 6, 2017 3:21 am

Andre Roberson has agreed upon a three-year, $30 million contract to re-sign with the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Roberson could have signed a four-year deal with the Thunder, but he preferred getting back onto the open market at a younger age. Roberson was a restricted free agent.

Roberson was an All-Defensive second team choice in 2017.

Roberson was the 26th overall pick to the Thunder in the 2013 NBA Draft.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

Biscayne Beast
Senior
And1: 594

Re: Andre Roberson Agrees To Three-Year, $30M Deal With Thunder 

Post#2 » by Biscayne Beast » Thu Jul 6, 2017 3:42 am

solid deal
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#3 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Jul 6, 2017 4:16 am

They should have let him sign an offer sheet and matched it. This has to be above market for a SG that can't shoot.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#4 » by Sam195 » Thu Jul 6, 2017 5:03 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:They should have let him sign an offer sheet and matched it. This has to be above market for a SG that can't shoot.

Well he could have signed his qualifying offer for 1 year and become a ufa next summer and get paid even more. We live in an nba world where Otto Porter Jr is about to sign the largest offer sheet in league history at 4 years 106M.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#5 » by Sam195 » Thu Jul 6, 2017 5:39 am

This Roberson contract is a good comparable to how much the celtics should offer Marcus Smart in a rookie extension. I think Celtics are more likely to trade Bradley to clear cap room to sign Hayward than Crowder who is on a bargain contract and Smart whose rfa rights they own next summer.
foreigngrammar
Pro Prospect
And1: 470

Post#6 » by foreigngrammar » Thu Jul 6, 2017 7:14 am

Not bad for a guy who can't really play basketball ;)
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#7 » by macNcheese3 » Thu Jul 6, 2017 9:55 am

foreigngrammar wrote:Not bad for a guy who can't really play basketball ;)

He's a glaring hole on offense. He bricked so many layups it wasn't even funny. Him and Patterson should be the brick bros.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#8 » by 12footrim » Thu Jul 6, 2017 12:37 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:They should have let him sign an offer sheet and matched it. This has to be above market for a SG that can't shoot.

Being versatile enough to play SG and 2 other positions has value as well as guard all 5 positions but SG is where he is miscast the most. Eventually his home should be more PF. There is offense is much less of an issue. Even if he could only improve his 3 point shooting to 32% which isn't crazy he would be an extremely valuable player then. It's not a bad signing at all.

I think he still has 3 point upside and FT upside to improve.

I don't know what happen to him with FT's but he was .563% in his NBA career before last year and .582% in college so I would treat his trouble last year as the outlier on FT's.

He was also a 35% three point shooter from the college line in a high volume.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Bobalob
Bench Warmer
And1: 882

Post#9 » by Bobalob » Thu Jul 6, 2017 1:03 pm

12footrim wrote:

Being versatile enough to play SG and 2 other positions has value as well as guard all 5 positions but SG is where he is miscast the most. Eventually his home should be more PF. There is offense is much less of an issue. Even if he could only improve his 3 point shooting to 32% which isn't crazy he would be an extremely valuable player then. It's not a bad signing at all.

I don't know what happen to him with FT's but he was .563% in his NBA career before last year and .582% in college so I would treat his trouble last year as the outlier on FT's.

Dude what are you even taking about he's TERRIBLE

Too many people who have never played sports with access to sports metrics :crazy:

Forget everything you typed, this guy can't HOOP. He's TERRIBLE.
bj2323
Junior
And1: 31

Post#10 » by bj2323 » Thu Jul 6, 2017 1:06 pm

He does suck in my opinion, but the Thunder were smart to sign him. This creates another $10 million dollars over the cap hold that Presti can trade with.
I likes sports
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by 12footrim » Thu Jul 6, 2017 1:44 pm

Bobalob wrote:
12footrim wrote:

Too many people who have never played sports with access to sports metrics :crazy:

You mean people that actually ground their opinions in reality and back it up with evidence?

#83 Real Plus Minus in the NBA while playing over 30 minutes a game.

You can't deny is defensive abilities. He's only terrible to the simpletons.

I was a college athlete.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Bobalob
Bench Warmer

Post#12 » by Bobalob » Thu Jul 6, 2017 2:22 pm

12footrim wrote:
Bobalob wrote:
12footrim wrote:

You mean people that actually ground their opinions in reality and back it up with evidence?

I was a college athlete.

What does that even mean? So he's the 83rd best player in the league? Analytics are a tool used for research but it doesnt override the eye test. Jae Crowder is #20 in rpm. Amir Johnson is #21. Cody Zeller is #27 lol So what are you saying!?

I say all that to say this: He's TERRIBLE.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,881

Post#13 » by deeps6x » Thu Jul 6, 2017 2:28 pm

Sam195 wrote:This Roberson contract is a good comparable to how much the celtics should offer Marcus Smart in a rookie extension. I think Celtics are more likely to trade Bradley to clear cap room to sign Hayward than Crowder who is on a bargain contract and Smart whose rfa rights they own next summer.

It is around what I expect Norman Powell to get next summer.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#14 » by macNcheese3 » Thu Jul 6, 2017 2:33 pm

deeps6x wrote:
Sam195 wrote:This Roberson contract is a good comparable to how much the celtics should offer Marcus Smart in a rookie extension. I think Celtics are more likely to trade Bradley to clear cap room to sign Hayward than Crowder who is on a bargain contract and Smart whose rfa rights they own next summer.

It is around what I expect Norman Powell to get next summer.

Powell has way more upside then Roberson- both of the offensive and defensive end. He is a little undersized but I would take him over Roberson. Roberson shoots a horrendous percentage from the line, and at times just struggles to score in total. He is a defense first player and in the series vs OKC- he cost them on the offensive end big time. It wasn't worth giving up the O for the D in my opinion in his situation.
BornintheLAND
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#15 » by BornintheLAND » Thu Jul 6, 2017 2:42 pm

Wow........$10 mil a year and he can't make a freakin foul shot!!!!
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by 12footrim » Thu Jul 6, 2017 2:51 pm

Bobalob wrote:
12footrim wrote:
Bobalob wrote:

I was a college athlete.

What does that even mean? So he's the 83rd best player in the league? Analytics are a tool used for research but it doesnt override the eye test. Jae Crowder is #20 in rpm. Amir Johnson is #21. Cody Zeller is #27 lol So what are you saying!?

I say all that to say this: He's TERRIBLE.

That's your opinion. Roberson was 2nd team All Defense in the NBA. Clearly a lot of other people disagree.

Crowder got some All Star consideration and is considered one of the best contracts in the NBA that many teams are trying to trade for.

and Cody Zeller. Zeller obviously is very important to the Hornets success.

The hornets were 3-17 when he didn't play, 33-29 when he did.

Perhaps there is more truth in these sorts of things than not? Just a thought, hey but you back your opinions up with well your opinion. Clearly all three of these guys contributed to winning teams when they played.

Roberson had a nice playoffs as well

11.6ppg
6.2 rpg
1.8apg
2.4 spg
3.4 bpg
.522% FG %
.412% 3's (1.4 made per game)

The ONLY thing that you can point to that says he was terrible was his FT shooting and even with that in the grand scheme he had a respectable .522 true shooting. Again he was .570% FT shooter through all his college and previous nba years which is bad but not the end of the world. This year's FT shooting was more of the outlier when compared to hundreds more attempts in basketball. Believe what you want.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
gold0259
Sixth Man
And1: 65

Post#17 » by gold0259 » Thu Jul 6, 2017 3:28 pm

30 million and can't make a free throw
Bobalob
Bench Warmer

Post#18 » by Bobalob » Thu Jul 6, 2017 4:00 pm

The problem isnt the money...its the fact he starts and plays those types of minutes. Iman Shumpert is a comparable defender who gets half the amount of minutes AND hits his 3's
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by 12footrim » Thu Jul 6, 2017 4:29 pm

Bobalob wrote:The problem isnt the money...its the fact he starts and plays those types of minutes. Iman Shumpert is a comparable defender who gets half the amount of minutes AND hits his 3's

So this is another one of your opinions that doesn't comport with reality

Defensive RPM

#25 Roberson (#1 SG)
#237 Shumpert
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by 12footrim » Thu Jul 6, 2017 4:32 pm

gold0259 wrote:30 million and can't make a free throw

So? He shoots a whole 1.4 a game in 30+ minutes.

Again up until last year through college and the NBA he was over 57% from the line. That's bad but it's not the end of the world bad.

He had a .510 true shooting last year. There have been much worse.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource

Return to Wiretap Discussion