Grizzlies To Retire Zach Randolph's No. 50

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Grizzlies To Retire Zach Randolph's No. 50 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jul 6, 2017 4:19 pm

The Memphis Grizzlies have announced they will retire Zach Randolph's No. 50.

Randolph signed with the Sacramento Kings this offseason.

"It’s always about basketball — but sometimes it’s about more than basketball. That’s when it’s special," wrote the Grizzlies in an open letter to Randolph and "Grizz Nation."

"The eight years Zach spent in the mud, in Memphis, are special. They are filled with franchise-defining basketball success, but they are so clearly about more than that. Every Memphian felt it and all of us believe it.

"Zach helped establish what it means to play for the Grizzlies on the court and in the community, and in doing so helped forge an identity for our City.

"His numerous on the court accomplishments speak for themselves. He is our all-time leader in field goals, rebounds and of course, takedowns.

"He is a proud civic leader and an extraordinary hands-on community benefactor. It is no coincidence that our collective dedication to service in our communities and our pride in Memphis surged during his time here.

"Grit & Grind is more than a motto to us, it has become a civic code of conduct and cultural ethos. It’s the way we do things in Memphis and at the Grizzlies. The best way for the team, the organization and for the City of Memphis to honor and respect the foundation built on Zach’s broad shoulders is to continue to Grit & Grind.

"To Zach — Thank you for all the joy and magical moments too numerous to count. Thank you for the energy and excitement you brought each and every night to FedExForum. Thank you for your leadership and service. Thank you for your larger than life impact and for keeping all Memphians warm. Thank you.

"While there will be a time and place to recognize your lasting impact in Memphis, starting today, as stated earlier by Controlling Owner, Robert Pera, number 50 will never be worn by any other member of the Memphis Grizzlies.

"From Memphian to Memphian, thank you and best of luck to you and your family."

Via RealGM Staff Report

Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,682

Re: Grizzlies To Retire Zach Randolph's No. 50 

Post#2 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Jul 6, 2017 5:05 pm

wow. that's awesome!

who would have thought 10 years ago that a new team would be retiring a z-bo jersey? he's come so far as a pro and i'm happy for dude.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Future Coach
Assistant Coach
And1: 466

Post#3 » by Future Coach » Thu Jul 6, 2017 5:42 pm

Good, classy gesture by Memphis ownership.
LaRance
Bench Warmer
And1: 104

Post#4 » by LaRance » Thu Jul 6, 2017 11:02 pm

:D that was sweet. I'm very glad his Jersey is getting retired. he definitely deserves it
penguin22
Ballboy
And1: 38

Post#5 » by penguin22 » Fri Jul 7, 2017 1:46 am

I love that. I remember when he was first traded there and people were calling for him to only last there another year like New York or LA before that due to maturity, distractions and just being a head case on a team. Really defied a lot of opinions and critics and found a calling and place on a squad and his career will be remembered for it.
:o
Rek
Senior
And1: 128

Post#6 » by Rek » Fri Jul 7, 2017 2:35 am

I'll be honest. I clicked on the link thinking "so now franchises are retiring numbers when their teams never won anything relevant?" Then I read what they had to say about his impact.

Great gesture and all class for both the player and the organization.

Return to Wiretap Discussion