Brad Stevens Reached Out To Gordon Hayward's Parents During 2014 Free Agency

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Brad Stevens Reached Out To Gordon Hayward's Parents During 2014 Free Agency 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:32 pm

Brad Stevens reached out to the parents of Gordon Hayward during his previous free agency in 2014. Stevens already had a relationship with them from when he recruited and coached him at Butler.

Stevens had finished his first season with the Boston Celtics and even though he knew they wouldn't be in a position to sign Hayward, he wanted to let the family know he hoped to reunite someday.

Stevens texed Hayward's parents again as free agency opened this year.

“His text said, ‘I hope all is well. We’re really looking forward to having Gordon come visit,’ ” Hayward Sr. said.

Hayward Sr. said that if the Celtics had defeated the Cavaliers in the conference finals, his son would have been less interested.

Via Adam Himmelsbach/Boston Globe

pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Re: Brad Stevens Reached Out To Gordon Hayward's Parents During 2014 Free Agency 

Post#2 » by pickIBL » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:41 am

It sounds like Stevens did the right thing. Treat Gordon like a boy, because that's how he acts.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
KamikazeK
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,871

Re: Brad Stevens Reached Out To Gordon Hayward's Parents During 2014 Free Agency 

Post#3 » by KamikazeK » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:15 am

pickIBL wrote:It sounds like Stevens did the right thing. Treat Gordon like a boy, because that's how he acts.

The salt is real. :lol:
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#4 » by pickIBL » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:34 am

KamikazeK wrote:
pickIBL wrote:It sounds like Stevens did the right thing. Treat Gordon like a boy, because that's how he acts.

The salt is real. :lol:

It's tongue and cheek. I preferred to move him last summer, and don't fault his leaving (just how he did it). As long as folks don't cross a certain line all the backlash he's getting is deserved.

As unrestricted free agents I don't fault any of them for doing what they want. But what Gordon did was not cool, the only thing worse I've seen recently was the Jordan/Dallas situation.

Rubio and Mitchell moves are A OKAY, but Ingles probably should not have gotten that money. And since he already knew he was leaving, being fake about it cost the Jazz the opportunity to get another guy.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,151

Post#5 » by Diggr14 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:19 am

Tampering.

The NBA is stupid. Utah should have been able to match.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.

Return to Wiretap Discussion