Rajon Rondo, Pelicans Discuss One-Year Deal

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:13 pm

The New Orleans Pelicans and Rajon Rondo are holding discussions on a one-year deal.

The Pelicans envision a scenario where Rondo and Jrue Holiday can play together in their backcourt.

Rondo previously was teammates with DeMarcus Cousins with the Sacramento Kings.

Rondo has previously held talks this offseason with the Los Angeles Lakers and New York Knicks.

Via Zach Lowe, Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

thegreenlife
Pro Prospect
And1: 648

Re: Rajon Rondo, Pelicans Discuss One-Year Deal 

Post#2 » by thegreenlife » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:27 pm

I can see them possibly making the Western Conference Finals with Rondo. Dear Lawd the west is so stacked it's ridiculous
Fidel Sarcasmo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#3 » by Fidel Sarcasmo » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:31 pm

thegreenlife wrote:I can see them possibly making the Western Conference Finals with Rondo. Dear Lawd the west is so stacked it's ridiculous

Are you drunk? Rondo is a legend in his own mind. No one wants him find it's because he created a horrible reputation for himself everywhere he went. He'll be out of the league real soon. As a matter of fact I thought it was this next year. Pelicans may bail him out this year. He fights coaches cause he's smarter than them n that makes him feel like he doesn't need to listen to coaches. He can't shoot and this league is now a shooters league. He's in his own head at the free throw line. He holds the ball forever trying to pad his assist numbers. I used to love rondo too. His past deeds have come back to haunt him.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#4 » by flow » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:34 pm

Add Rondo to that mix to run the point/be the coach? Now we're talking.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#5 » by Winsome Gerbil » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:39 pm

Fidel Sarcasmo wrote:
thegreenlife wrote:I can see them possibly making the Western Conference Finals with Rondo. Dear Lawd the west is so stacked it's ridiculous

Are you drunk? Rondo is a legend in his own mind. No one wants him find it's because he created a horrible reputation for himself everywhere he went. He'll be out of the league real soon. As a matter of fact I thought it was this next year. Pelicans may bail him out this year. He fights coaches cause he's smarter than them n that makes him feel like he doesn't need to listen to coaches. He can't shoot and this league is now a shooters league. He's in his own head at the free throw line. He holds the ball forever trying to pad his assist numbers. I used to love rondo too. His past deeds have come back to haunt him.

A lot of urban legends have grown up around Rondo. The "assist padding" is the most ridiculous of them.

And people also steadfastly refuse to recognize that he has a 3pt shot now. No, he's not Steph Curry, but he shot .376 from 3pt land last year, and .365 the year before. He's not a scorer, but he can hit threes as a spot shooter.
thegreenlife
Pro Prospect
And1: 648

Post#6 » by thegreenlife » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:57 pm

Fidel Sarcasmo wrote:

National TV Rondo is a real thing, as both you and I as Celtic fans can attest to; the guy just takes it to a whole new level. Yeah his legendary defense is just a thing of the past, but he's still very serviceable on both ends of the floor. He has 2 top tier bigs who can spread the floor, pick and roll, and work in the post, with another ball handler and playmaker in Jrue. I think this team looks pretty good on paper (minus the bench)
Fidel Sarcasmo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#7 » by Fidel Sarcasmo » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:39 pm

thegreenlife wrote:
Fidel Sarcasmo wrote:

National TV Rondo is a real thing, as both you and I as Celtic fans can attest to; the guy just takes it to a whole new level. Yeah his legendary defense is just a thing of the past, but he's still very serviceable on both ends of the floor. He has 2 top tier bigs who can spread the floor, pick and roll, and work in the post, with another ball handler and playmaker in Jrue. I think this team looks pretty good on paper (minus the bench)

So lets say he's a playoff legend. Not that I think he is but lets give you that. What does that tell you that he can only get one year deals with atrocious teams only, ever since the Dallas Mavericks PR nightmare even if he's money in the Playoffs? It means he's scorched earth. No team wants his headaches even if he becomes a god in the postseason. That's how bad the Dallas thing was for his career. He He's starting to realize it now that Dallas was a PR disaster. That's how bad he played his reputation around the league. it's hard enough to get work in the NBA if your outside shot is azz. Throw locker room headache in on top of that.
Bobalob
Bench Warmer
And1: 882

Post#8 » by Bobalob » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:20 pm

Too bad reggie jackson wont accept coming off the bench bc i'd do this AND that.

The west is so stacked you have to take chances like that. Especially w/ Boogie a FA and LA with cap space waiting
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,692

Post#9 » by DAWill1128 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:32 pm

Well I think the Pelicans need more talent in general, Rondo brings that. After the Pelicans big 3 it's a real drop off in terms of talent and especially ball handling. I just don't see a scenario where Holiday is your only ball handler, he's good but not spectacular as your only outside playmaker. Not to mention the whole ball movement and in game IQ of that roster needs some work, Rondo can provide that. Especially if you factor in that Holiday can defend the 2 and Rondo can lead a second unit, it's a no brainer acquisition at this point in the franchise's timeline. What's gonna be key is bringing in a secondary facilitator like Rondo to get these lesser known guys some easy buckets, you saw Rondo could do that for the Bulls that weren't alphas.
Jonosterman
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#10 » by Jonosterman » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:51 pm

DAWill1128 wrote:Well I think the Pelicans need more talent in general, Rondo brings that. After the Pelicans big 3 it's a real drop off in terms of talent and especially ball handling. I just don't see a scenario where Holiday is your only ball handler, he's good but not spectacular as your only outside playmaker. Not to mention the whole ball movement and in game IQ of that roster needs some work, Rondo can provide that. Especially if you factor in that Holiday can defend the 2 and Rondo can lead a second unit, it's a no brainer acquisition at this point in the franchise's timeline. What's gonna be key is bringing in a secondary facilitator like Rondo to get these lesser known guys some easy buckets, you saw Rondo could do that for the Bulls that weren't alphas.

Here! Here! I agree with you man.. :nod:
Biscayne Beast
Senior
And1: 594

Post#11 » by Biscayne Beast » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:02 pm

So what Jrue plays the 2 now? I just think it's even less shooting than what the pelicans have.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#12 » by macNcheese3 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:13 pm

They could use his leadership. Only problem is Jrue is not a good 3 point shooter. Rondo obviously is no threat from beyond the arc or mid range- he is best as a play maker and facilitator. With 2 bigs they need floor spacing. Cousins can hit the 3 at times and Davis has shown some ability but the one of the 2 guards needs to be a good shooter, IMO.
Thatmetricsdude
Freshman
And1: 7

Post#13 » by Thatmetricsdude » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:16 pm

DAWill1128 wrote:Well I think the Pelicans need more talent in general, Rondo brings that. After the Pelicans big 3 it's a real drop off in terms of talent and especially ball handling. I just don't see a scenario where Holiday is your only ball handler, he's good but not spectacular as your only outside playmaker. Not to mention the whole ball movement and in game IQ of that roster needs some work, Rondo can provide that. Especially if you factor in that Holiday can defend the 2 and Rondo can lead a second unit, it's a no brainer acquisition at this point in the franchise's timeline. What's gonna be key is bringing in a secondary facilitator like Rondo to get these lesser known guys some easy buckets, you saw Rondo could do that for the Bulls that weren't alphas.

Exactly, there will be time when Rondo, Jru, AD and Cousins will be on the floor at the same time and obviously times/games when Rondo and only one big will be playing due to injuries/rest.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#14 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:22 pm

Poor Rondo......

Didn't he play with Cousins? That should help
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
triple_threat
Veteran
And1: 2,045

Post#15 » by triple_threat » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:31 pm

36.6 from 3 from jrue is decent
draftnightsuit
Analyst
And1: 6,576

Post#16 » by draftnightsuit » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:34 pm

macNcheese3 wrote:They could use his leadership. Only problem is Jrue is not a good 3 point shooter. Rondo obviously is no threat from beyond the arc or mid range- he is best as a play maker and facilitator. With 2 bigs they need floor spacing. Cousins can hit the 3 at times and Davis has shown some ability but the one of the 2 guards needs to be a good shooter, IMO.

Jrue is a career 37% 3-point shooter. He's a capable shooter.

Fill the bench with shooters and they should be OK.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#17 » by macNcheese3 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:37 pm

He shot the ball just under 36% last year- I wouldn't count on him.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,208

Post#18 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:57 pm

Nooooooooooo!

The rest of Rondo's career will be a string of one-year deals. At best two-year deals with team options or partial guarantee second years. Sprinkle in a few buyouts and a mid-season trade or two. There is a reason for that. Why would you bring that into a young locker room? Why would give Boogie any reminders of the issues he had in SAC?
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#19 » by dan-man » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:06 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:Nooooooooooo!

The rest of Rondo's career will be a string of one-year deals. At best two-year deals with team options or partial guarantee second years. Sprinkle in a few buyouts and a mid-season trade or two. There is a reason for that. Why would you bring that into a young locker room? Why would give Boogie any reminders of the issues he had in SAC?

Its the "Rondo Revolution". Head coaches don't know sh*t.
cw3k
Bench Warmer
And1: 503

Post#20 » by cw3k » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:07 pm

Bobalob wrote:Too bad reggie jackson wont accept coming off the bench bc i'd do this AND that.

The west is so stacked you have to take chances like that. Especially w/ Boogie a FA and LA with cap space waiting

Wake up!! No one is going to the Tankers.

Build a winning culture first then talk about signing stars.

Return to Wiretap Discussion