John Collins Used Summer League To Prove He Should Have Been Picked Higher

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

John Collins Used Summer League To Prove He Should Have Been Picked Higher 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:44 pm

John Collins fell to the Atlanta Hawks at No. 19 in the 2017 NBA Draft and he had an excellent Summer League.

Collins ranks second in Summer League in PER at 32.5.

“I wanted to prove that I should have went higher,” Collins said. “Not to say that I’m not happy with the spot I’ve fallen. I’ve fallen to great spot, a great organization, the fans love me. I have a great opportunity here, which I’m blessed for. But I want to show everybody, I feel like I should have gone number one. Maybe that isn’t realistic. But I want to prove to everybody that I should have went higher. I’ve been overlooked most of my career. So I’m kind of happy, because it gives me that same energy, that same fear and drive.”

Collins was a first-team All-ACC selection in 2017 as well as the conference's Most Improved Player.

Via David Aldridge/NBA.com

Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 370

Re: John Collins Used Summer League To Prove He Should Have Been Picked Higher 

Post#2 » by Elnegron » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:54 pm

Great organization really :noway: :roll:
NatiboyB
Rookie
And1: 389

Post#3 » by NatiboyB » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:19 pm

Yes we all know you should of went higher...But you are in a good place that will give you more playing time. What's worse is if you came out a year earlier you would of went higher if you had the same level of production you were punished for being a sophomore.

But you didn't end up as unlucky as Rabb who was a top 10 pick last draft and fell to the 2nd rd this one.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,726

Post#4 » by the_process » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:37 pm

I still think Collins has a long way to go to prove his game can fit in the modern NBA. That 3 ball he showed in summer league is brand new to his game. He has to be able to shoot that at league average or above on a decent number of attempts while keeping up his rebounding to have his game translate.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet against Collins making it in the NBA.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#5 » by Soulyss » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:42 pm

Meyers Leonard looked like a beast in his first summer league as well... I really like Collins, and am high on him... but let's see how he handles a regular dose of Lebron, etc... before we anoint him the next wonderkin.

It's summer league kids :lol:
LeMasta
Veteran
And1: 2,194

Post#6 » by LeMasta » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:58 pm

the_process wrote:I still think Collins has a long way to go to prove his game can fit in the modern NBA. That 3 ball he showed in summer league is brand new to his game. He has to be able to shoot that at league average or above on a decent number of attempts while keeping up his rebounding to have his game translate.

You're more than likely going to be wrong especially with how thin the Hawks are in the 4/5 spot.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,806

Post#7 » by HotelVitale » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:04 pm

NatiboyB wrote: What's worse is if you came out a year earlier you would of went higher if you had the same level of production you were punished for being a sophomore..
Well that has nothing to do with reality. Collins was a nothing player after his freshman year and definitely wouldn't have been drafted if he came out last year. He was a 1st rounder this year because he had an awesome season--but he came out of nowhere and doesn't have a great physical profile or anything else that usually makes for top HS recruits.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#8 » by macNcheese3 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:49 pm

Thats what SL is for.
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#9 » by Cookin Baskets » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:17 pm

Easier then dealing with high expectations. This might be a blessing in disguise for him. He can his play without as much pressure.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
NatiboyB
Rookie
And1: 389

Post#10 » by NatiboyB » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:50 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
NatiboyB wrote: What's worse is if you came out a year earlier you would of went higher if you had the same level of production you were punished for being a sophomore..
Well that has nothing to do with reality. Collins was a nothing player after his freshman year and definitely wouldn't have been drafted if he came out last year. He was a 1st rounder this year because he had an awesome season--but he came out of nowhere and doesn't have a great physical profile or anything else that usually makes for top HS recruits.

however that is why I said if he put up as a freshman what he did as a Sophomore he would of been picked higher.
FMX
Freshman
And1: 41

Post#11 » by FMX » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:53 pm

He is doing the small things the let you know that he will be a solid player. i think that anyone can come to summer league and jack up shots. He has a high BBIQ.
IAMZOOTED
Pro Prospect
And1: 99

Post#12 » by IAMZOOTED » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:46 pm

NatiboyB wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

however that is why I said if he put up as a freshman what he did as a Sophomore he would of been picked higher.

He would have, but it also helps that the 2016 draft wasnt considered a very good draft class.
dan-man wrote:These guys are EASILY the second best team in the NBA. Time to figure out how to keep all these awful Eastern Conference teams out of the playoffs.

^ After the Timberwolves signed Jamal Crawford.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,806

Post#13 » by HotelVitale » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:56 pm

NatiboyB wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

I don't think he was punished that much for being a sophomore, I think teams were skeptical of him because he wasn't a special athlete, wasn't a good defender, has a small wingspan, and didn't have a great NBA-style game. I think he's a great pick in the late teens but he's going to have to adapt his game quite a bit or be incredible at what he does well to become a starting-caliber dude.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,726

Post#14 » by the_process » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:52 am

LeMasta wrote:
the_process wrote:I still think Collins has a long way to go to prove his game can fit in the modern NBA. That 3 ball he showed in summer league is brand new to his game. He has to be able to shoot that at league average or above on a decent number of attempts while keeping up his rebounding to have his game translate.

You're more than likely going to be wrong especially with how thin the Hawks are in the 4/5 spot.

Him starting the next couple years on a rebuilding Hawks squad is not the final word on whether Collins is a rotation piece in an NBA lineup.
LeMasta
Veteran
And1: 2,194

Post#15 » by LeMasta » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:50 am

the_process wrote:
LeMasta wrote:

Him starting the next couple years on a rebuilding Hawks squad is not the final word on whether Collins is a rotation piece in an NBA lineup.

Uhm. Surely he can. He plays for a team that can consistently develop their players and expand their game. An undersized Millsap was the same way and started shooting 3s frequently several years into his career, became a outstanding passer... and generally being able to do anything on the court. It's nothing new with the Hawks. They love getting their players to develop some range from 3. And he'll get those minutes to learn and develop this season. He won't have Millsap to guide him but he'll get lots of opportunities to grow.

All I can say is that he has a good chance of being a rotation player (and that's saying the absolute least), much more likely than not and I think you're completely wrong to bet against him so confidently.

Return to Wiretap Discussion