Brandon Knight Suffers Torn ACL

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Brandon Knight Suffers Torn ACL 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:57 pm

Brandon Knight has suffered a torn ACL in his left knee and could miss the entire 17-18 season.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

TdotRap4Lyfe
General Manager
And1: 5,079

Re: Brandon Knight Suffers Torn ACL 

Post#2 » by TdotRap4Lyfe » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:20 pm

Sucks he tore his ACL during the offseason. Sucks even more for Phx, they can't even trade him...
Credits to Jstock12
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,804

Post#3 » by HotelVitale » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:23 pm

Ironically, doesn't change his trade value one bit.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,975

Post#4 » by RCM88x » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:35 pm

Poor guy.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#5 » by Sam195 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:11 pm

TdotRap4Lyfe wrote:Sucks he tore his ACL during the offseason. Sucks even more for Phx, they can't even trade him...

I'm not sure but if he tore his acl in a non-nba activity especially something stupid like a motorcycle accident he could have his contract voided or at worst be suspended without pay while he recovers. This happened to Jay Williams and Monta Ellis in the past. This was a bad trade for a bad player - but I'm one of the few that have an itch lakers will make the playoffs next year as a low seed. I don't think Magic and Pelinka are just going to sit back and give Philly/Boston a lottery pick.
Sam195
Analyst

Post#6 » by Sam195 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:15 pm

Sam195 wrote:
TdotRap4Lyfe wrote:Sucks he tore his ACL during the offseason. Sucks even more for Phx, they can't even trade him...

I'm not sure but if he tore his acl in a non-nba activity especially something stupid like a motorcycle accident he could have his contract voided or at worst be suspended without pay while he recovers. This happened to Jay Williams and Monta Ellis in the past. This was a bad trade for a bad player - but I'm one of the few that have an itch lakers will make the playoffs next year as a low seed. I don't think Magic and Pelinka are just going to sit back and give Philly/Boston a lottery pick.

I'm surprised Lakers are not trying to trade for melo. I would offer Randle and Clarkson as incentive for Knicks to take back Deng's contract in a trade. Melo playing pf on the lakers increases their chances of making the playoffs this year and also recruiting Lebron next summer. Not sure melo would waive his ntc for the lakers but I think in my proposed trade he would not have to waive his trade kicker so he would get a 15% pay bump to live and play in Hollywood.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,801

Post#7 » by Chuck Everett » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:16 pm

He tore it playing in a Miami Pro-AM summer league. They can't void his contract.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
bj2323
Junior
And1: 31

Post#8 » by bj2323 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:23 pm

Sam195 wrote:
Sam195 wrote:

I'm surprised Lakers are not trying to trade for melo. I would offer Randle and Clarkson as incentive for Knicks to take back Deng's contract in a trade. Melo playing pf on the lakers increases their chances of making the playoffs this year and also recruiting Lebron next summer. Not sure melo would waive his ntc for the lakers but I think in my proposed trade he would not have to waive his trade kicker so he would get a 15% pay bump to live and play in Hollywood.

I agree with you... but I think they would be better off trading those guys in a package (with Deng) for an expiring contract like Dwayne Wade
I likes sports
Sam195
Analyst

Post#9 » by Sam195 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:46 pm

bj2323 wrote:
Sam195 wrote:
Sam195 wrote:

I agree with you... but I think they would be better off trading those guys in a package (with Deng) for an expiring contract like Dwayne Wade

Problem with that is no one wants Deng - lakers had to give up an asset in Russell just to get rid of Mozgov who case can be made either way he has a better/worse contract than Deng. Mozgov is younger. Only way lakers unload Deng is if they take on even more salary like melo in a trade but on a shorter term. There were reports at the draft that after they traded Mozgov - other teams were seeking 2 unprotected first rounders to eat Deng's deal. I feel like Deng is more useful reuniting with Noah in NY who also has his own bad contract and is a rebuilding situation than LA. And lol despite popular disbelief I think Wade actually wants to play the season out in Chicago - his hometown even if they miss the playoffs. A buyout might be more feasible after the trade deadline if he sees a gap on a contender maybe not just cavs that he feels he can fill to potentially upset GSW. Otherwise I think he might be returning to the Heat in the 2018 summer on potentially an overpaid welcome back deal especially with the Bosh contract off the books.
IAMZOOTED
Pro Prospect
And1: 99

Post#10 » by IAMZOOTED » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:10 am

Sam195 wrote:

Lol wtf, that's the first thing you think of? Are nba players not allowed to ride motorcycles?
dan-man wrote:These guys are EASILY the second best team in the NBA. Time to figure out how to keep all these awful Eastern Conference teams out of the playoffs.

^ After the Timberwolves signed Jamal Crawford.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,642

Post#11 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:21 am

Maybe the Knicks' luck is changing. Normally, he'd be on our roster.
Sam195
Analyst

Post#12 » by Sam195 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:01 am

IAMZOOTED wrote:
Sam195 wrote:

Lol wtf, that's the first thing you think of? Are nba players not allowed to ride motorcycles?

No and they are not allowed to go Bungee Jumping either. Anything that threatens their life or their physical capabilities. Many sports teams even buy life insurance polices on top of injury insurance on their stars because if that player dies or is seriously injured it is a huge dent for a franchise's value, marketability, tv ratings and ticket sales to name a few reasons.
ryguy3711
Sophomore
And1: 28

Post#13 » by ryguy3711 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:23 am

Dang, this just sucks all around. Somehow I want to blame McD. With the Suns in full rebuild mode, how awesome would it have been to have the Lakers 2018 first round pick next year along with a very high draft pick for the Suns and no crappy contract in Knight. Suns have potential as it is right now, but two more high lottery picks next year as well, the Suns would really have a chance to be good soon. What a shame.
ChuckChilly
Veteran
And1: 2,665

Re: RE: Re: Brandon Knight Suffers Torn ACL 

Post#14 » by ChuckChilly » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:38 am

ryguy3711 wrote:Dang, this just sucks all around. Somehow I want to blame McD. With the Suns in full rebuild mode, how awesome would it have been to have the Lakers 2018 first round pick next year along with a very high draft pick for the Suns and no crappy contract in Knight. Suns have potential as it is right now, but two more high lottery picks next year as well, the Suns would really have a chance to be good soon. What a shame.
Damn Antonio McDyess still haunts Phoenix?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#15 » by TKainZero » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:43 am

Knight was a really good young scoring pg

I remember many lakers fans wanted to max him out
Strange to see how far he has fallen
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
Sam195
Analyst

Post#16 » by Sam195 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:10 am

TKainZero wrote:Knight was a really good young scoring pg

There were rumors near the draft that suns were willing to trade knight to the spurs for injured tony parker's expiring contract and I think a future protected first rounder (will fall in 20s if its the Spurs). Tony Parker being injured means insurance is paying for most of his salary so it was more like the suns would be taking on his cap hit more so than his contract. And Suns were also shopping Knight to teams for pure salary cap relief and a measly second round pick. He has three years left on his overpaid deal and his trade value was low before this acl tear. Spurs decided instead to give Patty Mills a 4 year 50m deal (annual salary close to Knight) and bank on w.e production they can get from a recovering Tony Parker at some point in 2018. If his acl tear happened earlier prior to any trade then it likely would have been voided if Knight failed an acquiring team's physical.
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Post#17 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:00 am

TKainZero wrote:Knight was a really good young scoring pg

He is still good backup PG,not fallen that much.. but this injury sucks big time
tribulations
Analyst
And1: 1,276

Post#18 » by tribulations » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:20 am

poor guy. much maligned player but he definitely has a place in this league.

never lived up to his hs / college hype but hopefully he can come back and still be an effective role player.
mhsiao
Rookie
And1: 206

Post#19 » by mhsiao » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:13 am

IAMZOOTED wrote:

no.. They can't.

The best example is after Wade questioned Bulls' royalty to it's player. Jay Willaims come out to defend Bulls owner and FO because not only they didn't void his contract but also paid his surgery bill after his motorcycle accident.

Return to Wiretap Discussion