Dan Gilbert Believes Pacers Could Have Made Better Paul George Trade

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Dan Gilbert Believes Pacers Could Have Made Better Paul George Trade 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:09 pm

Dan Gilbert believes the Indiana Pacers could have received a better trade package for Paul George than the one they agreed upon with the Oklahoma City Thunder.

"I will say that Indiana could've done better than it did," Gilbert said.

The Cleveland Cavaliers thought they had a deal in place to acquire George in a trade that would have sent Kevin Love to the Denver Nuggets, and Gary Harris as the centerpiece to the Pacers.

The Pacers, however, dispute there was ever an agreement, sources said.

"That's been well-publicized," Altman said of the George deal that fell through. "I don't want to talk about that. What's interesting is, over the course of the NBA draft, there's 60 picks. In the first round, there's five minutes between picks. I probably made 200 phone calls that night, and none of that gets publicized. We're actively trying to get better and discover what opportunities that are out there. It's the ones that sort of don't make it to the media that are the ones you're more crushed about.

"So, we're very active during that time. Also, we're aggressive in trying to figure out how can we get better for this organization. So, I'm not going to talk about that specific trade, but know that we were active during that time and every team in the NBA was active during that time, trying to help their respective franchises."

Via Dave McMenamin/ESPN

macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Re: Dan Gilbert Believes Pacers Could Have Made Better Paul George Trade 

Post#2 » by macNcheese3 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:30 pm

Altman seems like a moron
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#3 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:56 pm

This just in: Dan Gilbert has eyes!
Adam Stern
Sixth Man
And1: 1,767

Post#4 » by Adam Stern » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:04 pm

I thought owners usually refrained from commenting on other teams personnel moves.
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#5 » by NoZoLakers » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:27 pm

Adam Stern wrote:I thought owners usually refrained from commenting on other teams personnel moves.

Why would you think that? Look up those cry baby owners after lal trade for cp3
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Post#6 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:43 pm

Dan Gilbert should probably worry about his own franchise.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#7 » by hyberx » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:07 pm

What was the last brilliant trade Dan Gilbert/Cavs had?

Gilbert is just sour that Pacers did not want to trade their best player within the minor league to help out their rival. :lol:
smittybanton
Sixth Man
And1: 398

Post#8 » by smittybanton » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:59 pm

When was the last time Gilbert was right about anything? Signing JR Smith? Tristan Thompson? Drafting Kay Felder? Trding for and re-signing Kyle Korver?

He did not say they offered Kyrie Irving for Paul George. And I wouldn't believe it even if he did say it. They were trying to find someone to play with Kyrie and Lebron, not replace one of them.

Now, if Kyrie would've said he wanted to leave, then I'm sure CLE would've offered Kyrie for Paul George straight up. But that didnt happen.

The last reporter who said the Pacers turned down a better deal cited Denver's offer of Gary Harris and something else---which was not a better deal. Different. But not better. Especially considering Oladipo is a box office draw in Indiana.

Sixers, Celtics, others could've dumbed out for George. But they didn't. Because there's no guarantee he'll stay. Victor Oladipo and Sabonis is not a bad haul for a known one-year rental. OKC lost Kevin Durant for nothing, so I hear.

What did Utah get for Gordon Hayward?
Trailbreaker
Junior
And1: 115

Post#9 » by Trailbreaker » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:05 pm

BallnIngram wrote:
Adam Stern wrote:I thought owners usually refrained from commenting on other teams personnel moves.

Does Kupchak have work right now? He's a GM I wish Orlando would've hired considering the excellent trades he pulled off in the past.
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 140

Post#10 » by haste10176 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:27 pm

smittybanton wrote:When was the last time Gilbert was right about anything? Signing JR Smith? Tristan Thompson? Drafting Kay Felder? Trding for and re-signing Kyle Korver?

He did not say they offered Kyrie Irving for Paul George. And I wouldn't believe it even if he did say it. They were trying to find someone to play with Kyrie and Lebron, not replace one of them.

Now, if Kyrie would've said he wanted to leave, then I'm sure CLE would've offered Kyrie for Paul George straight up. But that didnt happen.

The last reporter who said the Pacers turned down a better deal cited Denver's offer of Gary Harris and something else---which was not a better deal. Different. But not better. Especially considering Oladipo is a box office draw in Indiana.

Sixers, Celtics, others could've dumbed out for George. But they didn't. Because there's no guarantee he'll stay. Victor Oladipo and Sabonis is not a bad haul for a known one-year rental. OKC lost Kevin Durant for nothing, so I hear.

There was K Love for George there was a three way deal which was Eric Bledsloe and pick 4 for george while trading Kevin Love to the Suns.. Boston would have had something better on the table than what the thunder offered.

The thunder deal was a joke Oladipo's terrible contract for a one year contract that alone is enough to do this deal... Crap Lakers could have traded them Russel and Mozgov as they did to the nets I still think thats a better deal...
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#11 » by cheese318 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:11 am

No way they would have offered Kyrie for George straight up. As good as PG13 is he is unrestricted free agent this year. Cavs have Irving locked up for two years with a possible player option for the 3rd which at this point won't be picked up. The valuation would have been much higher for the Cavs to pull the trigger. As good as PG13 is and he may be more valuable than Irving
the contracts do detract value and add value in the Cavs position of the trade plus Irving is I believe 2-3 years younger. I think a vet/draft pick would have possibly made it happen. Now if they went after Jimmy Butler I think would be right and that trade could have gone down with the contracts being comparable length.

Kyrie is becoming the next Carmelo Anthony. Remember how he forced the Nuggets to jettison his career to the brightest lights of New York. Problem was Melo was a free agent to be decided to deplete the team of all its assets for his future. Great idea if you want to show the world you can be a winner. Kyrie will realize it's a lot harder to win games consistently without the best player in the world on his side. Batman can always find a new Robin imo.

Today's NBA makes me laugh because look at Scottie Pippen who always was behind Jordan in the Hierachy besides the 1 & 1/2 seasons MJ was "suspended" for gambling. Oh I mean playing baseball. Pippen was amazing but he never pulled this kind of selfishness to leave Jordan. I question Irving and his will to win. If I recall LeBron passed Kyrie the ball down one in game three to take the lead. Pretty sure Kyrie bricked that shot. It's not about shots or winning. It's about his ego. Irving is amazing but let's say he leaves and the Cavs go on a 2-4 title run in the next 7 seasons. Will he regret that if he goes to the Knicks and barely makes the playoffs for the next 2-3 seasons.

smittybanton wrote:When was the last time Gilbert was right about anything? Signing JR Smith? Tristan Thompson? Drafting Kay Felder? Trding for and re-signing Kyle Korver?

Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
Adam Stern
Sixth Man
And1: 1,767

Post#12 » by Adam Stern » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:10 pm

BallnIngram wrote:

That involved a league owned team. This doesn't.

Return to Wiretap Discussion