Nets Nearly Hired Bryan Colangelo Over Bobby Marks

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Nets Nearly Hired Bryan Colangelo Over Bobby Marks 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Aug 3, 2017 6:32 pm

The Brooklyn Nets were leaning towards hiring Bryan Colangelo to run their front office leading up to the All-Star Game in 2016.

During the weekend, Nets' chairman Dmitry Razumov had a long talk with R.C. Buford about Sean Marks. Buford told the Nets that they may not let Marks interview unless he would get to run the team his way.

Bob Myers and several other executives praised Marks to Razumov during the weekend.

Marks was hired less than a week later and given a mandate to rebuild the franchise patiently. 

Colangelo soon thereafter was hired by the Philadelphia 76ers.

Via Zach Lowe/ESPN

Pasquale
Ballboy
And1: 4

Re: Nets Nearly Hired Bryan Colangelo Over Bobby Marks 

Post#2 » by Pasquale » Thu Aug 3, 2017 6:36 pm

It’s actually Sean Marks, not Bobby.

Bobby used to work for the Nets’ front office and now works alongside Woj
Chicago Bulls fan from Mola di Bari, Italy.
Att
Senior
And1: 162

Post#3 » by Att » Thu Aug 3, 2017 6:43 pm

BC would be out of a job if not for his father.
He might be the worst GM out there.

* but he's not bad at PR, as you can see.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,049

Post#4 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu Aug 3, 2017 6:59 pm

Att wrote:BC would be out of a job if not for his father.

I speak for most Philly fans when I say Hinkie > BC, but I've been pleasantly surprised with BC since the Nerlens trade. This year and next off season will be very telling.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
miamiheat319
Veteran
And1: 6,961

Post#5 » by miamiheat319 » Thu Aug 3, 2017 7:13 pm

Bruh. Bobby?? Really?? Jesus christ
NBA Jersey connoisseur
https://youtu.be/k-PaOWxvnz0
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,967

Post#6 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Aug 3, 2017 7:28 pm

miamiheat319 wrote:Bruh. Bobby?? Really?? Jesus christ

dude. wow.

i'm floored.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#7 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Aug 3, 2017 7:41 pm

Marks has been terrific
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
RonaldArtest
General Manager
And1: 12,531

Post#8 » by RonaldArtest » Thu Aug 3, 2017 7:50 pm

They made the right call going with Bobby.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#9 » by macNcheese3 » Thu Aug 3, 2017 8:40 pm

Marks has done a good job thus far. It was a good choice to go with him over BC. BC got the roster and assets handed to him in his lap in philly
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,798

Post#10 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Aug 4, 2017 1:40 am

The nets...

CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#11 » by CoreyGallagher » Fri Aug 4, 2017 1:53 am

macNcheese3 wrote:Marks has done a good job thus far. It was a good choice to go with him over BC. BC got the roster and assets handed to him in his lap in philly

To his credit, he's had a season and a half to screw it up and he hasn't yet. On a curve, but he's done alright.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
Att
Senior

Post#12 » by Att » Fri Aug 4, 2017 1:57 am

SuperDario wrote:

I speak for most Philly fans when I say Hinkie > BC, but I've been pleasantly surprised with BC since the Nerlens trade. This year and next off season will be very telling.

Hinkie >>>>> BC
It's not even close.
BC did not make any horrible-Billy-king-like mistakes (which he did plenty in Toronto) but he did manage quite a few big mistakes with the amazing hand he was given:
* Playing Embiid when he's clearly injured and causing more damage which led to another surgery.
* The Noel fiasco.
* Paying for meh-worthy-one year rentals like Henderson and Rodrigez and trading for half a year rental of Ilyasova, who got us all the way to the fifth place in the draft (luckily we had the Kings swap so people don't remember that). Instead of having good odds for finally getting the Lakers pick (which is an amazing asset, four or fifth place in the draft!) we were behind them on draft order and damaged our shot at getting it.

So basically, in one year he managed to damage the value of Embiid, Noel, Philly's 2017 pick and the odds of getting a high pick from the Lakers in 2017 (which we didn't get).

I also really don't like the Fultz trade but that's still up for debate.

BC is still one of the worst GM's in the league.
I would much rather have Sean Marks. He's done a good job with the Nets so far.
Spintown
Starter
And1: 2,667

Post#13 » by Spintown » Fri Aug 4, 2017 7:13 pm

Att wrote:
SuperDario wrote:

Hinkie >>>>> BC
It's not even close.
BC did not make any horrible-Billy-king-like mistakes (which he did plenty in Toronto) but he did manage quite a few big mistakes with the amazing hand he was given:
* Playing Embiid when he's clearly injured and causing more damage which led to another surgery.
* The Noel fiasco.
* Paying for meh-worthy-one year rentals like Henderson and Rodrigez and trading for half a year rental of Ilyasova, who got us all the way to the fifth place in the draft (luckily we had the Kings swap so people don't remember that). Instead of having good odds for finally getting the Lakers pick (which is an amazing asset, four or fifth place in the draft!) we were behind them on draft order and damaged our shot at getting it.

So basically, in one year he managed to damage the value of Embiid, Noel, Philly's 2017 pick and the odds of getting a high pick from the Lakers in 2017 (which we didn't get).

Hey blame BC for everything but the bolded was brett brown's fault.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,049

Post#14 » by GeorgeMarcus » Fri Aug 4, 2017 7:15 pm

Att wrote:
SuperDario wrote:

Hinkie >>>>> BC
It's not even close.
* The Noel fiasco.

I love the Fultz trade so I disagree with you on that front. Between that trade and the 1-year FA signings, I was very happy with our off-season. But I agree with most of your criticisms of BC leading up to the Noel deal.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Att
Senior

Post#15 » by Att » Fri Aug 4, 2017 11:08 pm

SuperDario wrote:
Att wrote:
SuperDario wrote:

Hinkie >>>>> BC
It's not even close.
* The Noel fiasco.

I love the Fultz trade so I disagree with you on that front. Between that trade and the 1-year FA signings, I was very happy with our off-season. But I agree with most of your criticisms of BC leading up to the Noel deal.

I agree the Fultz trade is to be determined in the future. I think he could have gotten him for a lower price and that the trade will end up being a mistake (=Fultz won't be the best player in the draft and not even the best point guard). Right now we do not feel the pain of losing that draft pick, so it's easy to be on board with the trade. We'll feel that pain in the future.

Return to Wiretap Discussion