David Blatt Continues To Seek NBA Return

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

David Blatt Continues To Seek NBA Return 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Aug 9, 2017 6:16 pm

David Blatt continues to pursue a return to the NBA. Blatt was fired by the Cleveland Cavaliers midway through his second season with the franchise. The Cavaliers went on to win the 2016 Finals.

“I have an end game and that end game is that I would really like to go back to the NBA,” Blatt told The Jerusalem Post on Tuesday.

“There were no changes in the NBA this year from a coaching standpoint and my real goal is to try next year to get back into the league as a head coach. It may happen and it may not happen. But I wanted to leave that door open for myself if the opportunity arises.”

Blatt turned down a three-year offer from Maccabi Tel Aviv to remain with Darussafaka for another season.

“With my long and very good relationship with Maccabi, I just felt that it wouldn’t be right on my part to take over a program that really needs a long term commitment and overhaul and then after one year, if I decide to, take advantage of an option and leave for the NBA,” explained Blatt.

“I don’t think that is what the program needs. I didn’t feel good about that. I thought about it very seriously, but in my mind it was a decision to step away from what my end game goal was. The idea of coming back to Maccabi obviously interested me greatly, but ultimately I decided that I wasn’t willing to give up on that dream just yet. If it happens that will be justified and if it doesn’t happen at least I was honest with myself about going after it.”

Blatt was a finalist a year ago for openings with the Knicks, Rockets and Kings.

“Sometimes you can be right there and at the last moment you don’t get it and that’s life,” said Blatt. “That is the realistic and competitive environment of trying to get a job of that nature. There is no guarantee.”

Via Allon Sinai/Jerusalem Post

MJallday59
Veteran
And1: 116

Re: David Blatt Continues To Seek NBA Return 

Post#2 » by MJallday59 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 7:00 pm

Orlando's next coach if Vogel doesn't turn it around.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#3 » by 12footrim » Wed Aug 9, 2017 7:09 pm

I'd rather have him with Phx than Earl Watson. Exactly the kind of team he needed.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
adjacent2bench
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#4 » by adjacent2bench » Wed Aug 9, 2017 7:15 pm

Steve Mills and Scott Perry pay attention
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,343

Post#5 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Aug 9, 2017 7:47 pm

adjacent2bench wrote:Steve Mills and Scott Perry pay attention

I don't the release of this "news" is a coincidence
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,591

Post#6 » by AK47MVP » Wed Aug 9, 2017 8:13 pm

Masai, get it done. Casey sucks.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#7 » by macNcheese3 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 8:45 pm

NY should let go of Hornacek but he is on the books and at this point not much to lose for them.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#8 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Aug 9, 2017 8:56 pm

No coaching turnover this season/offseason???

Isn't that rare? I guess too many had happened last year already
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
PrecociousNeoph
Head Coach
And1: 377

Post#9 » by PrecociousNeoph » Wed Aug 9, 2017 9:09 pm

I like Jeff but Blatt and his style would be fantastic for Kristaps, Willy and Frank, and he's comfortable coaching euros
“Bye, Felicia.”
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#10 » by MegaK » Wed Aug 9, 2017 9:23 pm

macNcheese3 wrote:NY should let go of Hornacek but he is on the books and at this point not much to lose for them.

Hornacek will finally be unleashed this season. The guy is a great coach, was a great player and is a stand up classy guy. You can't ask for much more from a coach. I'd like to see how he does this coming season, everything is in place where he can finally put in a system he thinks the team should run and not have to worry about an ego maniac coming down from the front office and undermine him every day.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#11 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Aug 9, 2017 11:19 pm

MegaK wrote:
macNcheese3 wrote:NY should let go of Hornacek but he is on the books and at this point not much to lose for them.

Hornacek will finally be unleashed this season. The guy is a great coach, was a great player and is a stand up classy guy. You can't ask for much more from a coach. I'd like to see how he does this coming season, everything is in place where he can finally put in a system he thinks the team should run and not have to worry about an ego maniac coming down from the front office and undermine him every day.

I don't think Horny has ever played under the triangle? Must have been tough.

It'd be more interesting if PJ had gotten Walton to coach the Knicks.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
johnnyballgame
Senior
And1: 76

Post#12 » by johnnyballgame » Wed Aug 9, 2017 11:53 pm

Blatt was horribly over his head. He didn't know how many time outs he had, how to play offense in the NBA, how to deal with star players... he was just out of place. Giving him credit for his won-loss record is ignoring the real facts.

Mike Brown is the greatest coach ever if this is the case. Someone should offer him a record shattering amount of cash.
Kyrie most of the time when he shoots starts with the ball and then dribbles a while then shoots. -statistical analysis from a 'longtime' Cavs fan (June 2017)
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#13 » by TKainZero » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:55 am

He really should enter as an assistant.
Ideally with the spurs
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
Dolphin Lips
Pro Prospect
And1: 48

Post#14 » by Dolphin Lips » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:09 am

Is he's being Kaepernick-ed because he's Israeli, or because he just sucks at coaching? Double standard here, or am I tripping?
STOP STEALING MY AVATARS

PrecociousNeoph
Head Coach
And1: 377

Post#15 » by PrecociousNeoph » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:30 am

johnnyballgame wrote:Blatt was horribly over his head. He didn't know how many time outs he had, how to play offense in the NBhow to deal with star players... he was just out of place. Giving him credit for his won-loss record is ignoring the real facts.

Mike Brown is the greatest coach ever if this is the case. Someone should offer him a record shattering amount of cash.

he didn't initially sign on to manage the egos of LeBron and Kevin love, and you are right he struggled to do that, but I think he learned from that experience. Remember, he signed on to coach a young team with Kyrie and Andrew Wiggins. I think he's a good coach
“Bye, Felicia.”
Dr Huge Pecs
Senior
And1: 79

Post#16 » by Dr Huge Pecs » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:02 am

Dolphin Lips wrote:Is he's being Kaepernick-ed because he's Israeli, or because he just sucks at coaching? Double standard here, or am I tripping?

Wtf? Are you serious? Because he's Jewish????? Any idea how many owners are jewish in the nba... Oh quite a bit... The commissioner too.

Yes...stop tripping... Please...stop.
CablexDeadpool
Head Coach
And1: 1,686

Post#17 » by CablexDeadpool » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:08 pm

Dolphin Lips wrote:Is he's being Kaepernick-ed because he's Israeli, or because he just sucks at coaching? Double standard here, or am I tripping?

This statement does not make any sense when both Adam Silver and David Stern are jewish :lol: :lol: :lol:
ken6199 wrote:A Rocket's loss really brought out the best of people. It makes me realize this forum is filled with jobless scumbags with their only intention to come hate the team they hate and realize their anger from their life/job/wife/kids or whatever.

:lol:
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#18 » by macNcheese3 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:58 pm

Being a good coach overseas does not necessarily translate over to the NBA.
TOMSPY77
Pro Prospect
And1: 168

Post#19 » by TOMSPY77 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:32 pm

Better than watching more 'hoi-ball' on the Bulls, but rich Uncle Jerry would never want to pay both contracts so...
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#20 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:18 pm

Dr Huge Pecs wrote:

Wtf? Are you serious? Because he's Jewish????? Any idea how many owners are jewish in the nba... Oh quite a bit... The commissioner too.

Yes...stop tripping... Please...stop.

Pretty sure Cuban is Jewish.

Unless it's infighting? Doubt it.
Thanks for the honesty.

Return to Wiretap Discussion