NBA To Approve Rules On Player-Resting

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

NBA To Approve Rules On Player-Resting 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:26 pm

NBA owners are expected to approve player-resting rules in September designed to cut back on teams sitting players for regular season games.

The rules will be in place by the start of the 2017-18 season, and there will be consequences for teams that do not adhere to them.

The move is designed to appease fans and the NBA's business partners.

“There is an expectation among partners that teams are going to act in appropriate ways, (and) find, as I said, that right balance between resting on one hand and obligations to fans and partners on the other,” NBA commissioner Adam Silver told reporters at his April news conference.

Via Jeff Zillgitt/USA Today

GooniousMaximus
Sophomore
And1: 59

Re: NBA To Approve Rules On Player-Resting 

Post#2 » by GooniousMaximus » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:33 pm

I can see it from both sides. but at both ends of the day...they are getting paid a lot of money to perform and fans pay pretty steep prices in apparel and tickets.

To me its very parallel to saying your favorite live band or performer and either the main performers won't be there and you'll get some 2nd hand performers and not have the same quality of show. or some sort of similar affect...but I do understand they need some rest for larger match ups but all this can be solved with reduced back to backs. and long road trips, etc
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#3 » by nedleeds » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:21 pm

This is going to be a disaster. It's totally unenforcable and is going to result in the Kawhi starts with the 15th player who takes a foul. Then Kawhi rests. Why is Silver even worried about this when we already know barring a plane accident who is going to be in the Finals from the West? Talk about devaluing the regular season. Every team going to Oakland should rest all their starters.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Post#4 » by jlokine » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:26 pm

GooniousMaximus wrote:I can see it from both sides. but at both ends of the day...they are getting paid a lot of money to perform and fans pay pretty steep prices in apparel and tickets.

To me its very parallel to saying your favorite live band or performer and either the main performers won't be there and you'll get some 2nd hand performers and not have the same quality of show. or some sort of similar affect...but I do understand they need some rest for larger match ups but all this can be solved with reduced back to backs. and long road trips, etc

which they did.. but your analogy doesnt hold up. it's like you go to the concert wanting to see the main performers play in the opening act (regular season). would you be excited to see your favourite performers in the opening act but not in the show that counts (playoffs)? say a team like the spurs, pretty much a lock to make the playoffs. plays 82 games, goes down in the playoffs. gets swept by GSW. (this happened). who cares what happened in the first 82 games. but these rules arent put in place because of true fans who get it.. they are to appease the fringe fans and business partners who are in it for the money.

if i wanted to rest guys and not get penalized, what's stopping the coach from telling kawhi, "hey, foul out in the first 5 mins"... commits 6 fouls, sits down and rest.. cant say he didnt try..
Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 366

Post#5 » by Elnegron » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:46 am

So finally lejoke will play in miami
Tim Reynolds
Senior
And1: 970

Post#6 » by Tim Reynolds » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:02 am

jlokine wrote:
GooniousMaximus wrote:I can see it from both sides. but at both ends of the day...they are getting paid a lot of money to perform and fans pay pretty steep prices in apparel and tickets.

which they did.. but your analogy doesnt hold up. it's like you go to the concert wanting to see the main performers play in the opening act (regular season). would you be excited to see your favourite performers in the opening act but not in the show that counts (playoffs)? say a team like the spurs, pretty much a lock to make the playoffs. plays 82 games, goes down in the playoffs. gets swept by GSW. (this happened). who cares what happened in the first 82 games. but these rules arent put in place because of true fans who get it.. they are to appease the fringe fans and business partners who are in it for the money.

if i wanted to rest guys and not get penalized, what's stopping the coach from telling kawhi, "hey, foul out in the first 5 mins"... commits 6 fouls, sits down and rest.. cant say he didnt try..

Um... Maybe it's cause people pay for tickets at all 82 regular season games. And most pay to see the stars on the team play, not the bench.

And just for the record, fans who "get it" are by and far the fringe. The casual fans are where most of the money comes from. They like their team but aren't super gung ho, and don't really care about rest. They want to see their favorite players play.l when they pay.

I'm not saying that it's right, but it is what it is. I'm all for just extending the schedule and making games more spaced out.
ATTL wrote:Honestly you people laugh at toilet paper hoarders, but you really dont have enough toilet paper yourselves. The average person uses 1 roll per day. If you have a family of 4, that's 28 rolls a week. Over 100 a month.
GooniousMaximus
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#7 » by GooniousMaximus » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:00 am

Tim Reynolds wrote:
jlokine wrote:

Um... Maybe it's cause people pay for tickets at all 82 regular season games. And most pay to see the stars on the team play, not the bench.

And just for the record, fans who "get it" are by and far the fringe. The casual fans are where most of the money comes from. They like their team but aren't super gung ho, and don't really care about rest. They want to see their favorite players play.l when they pay.

I'm not saying that it's right, but it is what it is. I'm all for just extending the schedule and making games more spaced out.

Exactly
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#8 » by truwizfan4evr » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:40 am

So glad for these rules. I don't feel bad for players making millions to do a job, not rest. Micheal Jordan never did this ****. This new generation is becoming lazy as ****.
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
bringbackhoffa
RealGM
And1: 5,041

Post#9 » by bringbackhoffa » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:21 pm

you already know what Pop is gonna do..first inbound play after opening tip..timeout..substitute Kawhi, LMA, Manu, TP..good game guys now just sit back and relax
Charlotte Hornets 2024-25

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,691

Post#10 » by Clay Davis » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:40 pm

truwizfan4evr wrote:So glad for these rules. I don't feel bad for players making millions to do a job, not rest. Micheal Jordan never did this ****. This new generation is becoming lazy as ****.

Michael Jordan took 2 seasons off in the prime of his career. If any player of the past 20 years did that, you can bet they wouldn't need to rest so much later in their careers.
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.

Return to Wiretap Discussion