Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,647

Re: Cavs, Celtics Discussing Kyrie Irving For Isaiah Thomas Trade 

Post#21 » by Howard Mass » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:37 am

johnnyballgame wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:This move puts Boston in the driver's seat for The East this season and a few more.

I'm not a fan of acquiring Isaiah Thomas for reasons you mention and others, but how do you think Boston would suddenly be better than the Cavs? The Cavs would have LeBron, Isaiah, Love, Rose, Korver, Smith, Thompson, Crowder, Green, Osman, Frye, Jefferson, probably Wade after a buyout near the deadline and picks from Boston to help them acquire the next good available player... possibly even George again. OKC doesn't have that much invested they couldn't flip him for more than they gave up and they are just that kind of forward thinking team. If not George, someone good... if GS is as good as everyone saying, few teams have reason to attempt to compete for the next two seasons and many, many teams have good reason to let go of guys like Marc Gasol and get picks now.

But the Cavs would be far, far deeper than Boston and Tatum and Brown are far from proven in the much larger roles this would give them.

They would be deeper no question about that but I see this as the move that can put Boston over the top of them this year.

Gordon Hayward is the wing scorer they needed and they also got Jayson Tatum. Jaylen Brown also has another year under his belt.

LeBron's impending departure will weigh on the team and teams usually break through the year before they are supposed too.

Boston might not be as deep but I think they are a lot stronger than last year and are going to win The East.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
johnnyballgame
Senior
And1: 76

Post#22 » by johnnyballgame » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:59 am

Howard Mass wrote:
johnnyballgame wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:This move puts Boston in the driver's seat for The East this season and a few more.

I'm not a fan of acquiring Isaiah Thomas for reasons you mention and others, but how do you think Boston would suddenly be better than the Cavs? The Cavs would have LeBron, Isaiah, Love, Rose, Korver, Smith, Thompson, Crowder, Green, Osman, Frye, Jefferson, probably Wade after a buyout near the deadline and picks from Boston to help them acquire the next good available player... possibly even George again. OKC doesn't have that much invested they couldn't flip him for more than they gave up and they are just that kind of forward thinking team. If not George, someone good... if GS is as good as everyone saying, few teams have reason to attempt to compete for the next two seasons and many, many teams have good reason to let go of guys like Marc Gasol and get picks now.

But the Cavs would be far, far deeper than Boston and Tatum and Brown are far from proven in the much larger roles this would give them.

They would be deeper no question about that but I see this as the move that can put Boston over the top of them this year.

Gordon Hayward is the wing scorer they needed and they also got Jayson Tatum. Jaylen Brown also has another year under his belt.

LeBron's impending departure will weigh on the team and teams usually break through the year before they are supposed too.

Boston might not be as deep but I think they are a lot stronger than last year and are going to win The East.

I'm not going to say Kyrie isn't an improvement over IT because I think he is. Gordon is a good pickup too, but he's no superstar. Neither is Horford. Boston lost Crowder, Kelly O., Bradley, etc. I think their leadership, toughness and their interior defense will be a big question. None of these guys, cept maybe Gordon, has been successful as the man. Its a big test for Kyrie. He may not like that Stevens has a system not specifically designed around him. Gordon is the coach's fave, no? Plus they'll only go as far as Tatum and Brown can grow IMO because those guys aren't exactly proven in large roles and potentially will be playing much bigger men nightly. Teams with good size are going to feast inside on Boston. For example, how would they slow the Unibrow and Boogie?
Kyrie most of the time when he shoots starts with the ball and then dribbles a while then shoots. -statistical analysis from a 'longtime' Cavs fan (June 2017)
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,647

Post#23 » by Howard Mass » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:34 am

johnnyballgame wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:
johnnyballgame wrote:

I'm not going to say Kyrie isn't an improvement over IT because I think he is. Gordon is a good pickup too, but he's no superstar. Neither is Horford. Boston lost Crowder, Kelly O., Bradley, etc. I think their leadership, toughness and their interior defense will be a big question. None of these guys, cept maybe Gordon, has been successful as the man. Its a big test for Kyrie. He may not like that Stevens has a system not specifically designed around him. Gordon is the coach's fave, no? Plus they'll only go as far as Tatum and Brown can grow IMO because those guys aren't exactly proven in large roles and potentially will be playing much bigger men nightly. Teams with good size are going to feast inside on Boston. For example, how would they slow the Unibrow and Boogie?

I'm counting on growth from Brown and Tatum.

Teams usually win the year before they are supposed and I just feel The Celtics will pull this off this year especially with LeBron's impending departure hanging over the team.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
johnnyballgame
Senior
And1: 76

Post#24 » by johnnyballgame » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:40 am

Howard Mass wrote:
johnnyballgame wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:

Teams usually win the year before they are supposed and I just feel The Celtics will pull this off this year especially with LeBron's impending departure hanging over the team.

I'll take my chances with the Cavs much deeper roster and LeBron. I'm not confident Lue will figure out the best combinations and rotations, certainly not quickly, but talent trumps everything. Cleveland's roster is just way more talented. Boston is still just 'hoping' they'll win before they are supposed to or 'hoping' LeBron potentially leaving would have an effect. Boston has two totally unproven players they'd be 'hoping' would be good enough to stop LeBron and Kevin Love, both of whom are much bigger,l stronger guys as well. And don't forget 'hoping' Cleveland don't land a Cousins, George or Gasol using their newly found assets.
As the teams sit now, Boston's going to get physically beaten. Unless they get some size, toughness and muscle, I'd bet some lesser talented but more physical teams might even beat them. Respect Stephens, but he coaches team ball and produces over achievers. Kyrie don't seem like his player as he's never shown to be concerned about the team game. He's not a great passer and Boston's going to have issues with the ball movement because of it. Cleveland's offense struggled with LeBron out and him as the facilitator. The ball even moved more with Delly in there. But we shall see.
Kyrie most of the time when he shoots starts with the ball and then dribbles a while then shoots. -statistical analysis from a 'longtime' Cavs fan (June 2017)
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#25 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:37 pm

johnnyballgame wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:
johnnyballgame wrote:

I'll take my chances with the Cavs much deeper roster and LeBron. I'm not confident Lue will figure out the best combinations and rotations, certainly not quickly, but talent trumps everything. Cleveland's roster is just way more talented. Boston is still just 'hoping' they'll win before they are supposed to or 'hoping' LeBron potentially leaving would have an effect. Boston has two totally unproven players they'd be 'hoping' would be good enough to stop LeBron and Kevin Love, both of whom are much bigger,l stronger guys as well. And don't forget 'hoping' Cleveland don't land a Cousins, George or Gasol using their newly found assets.
As the teams sit now, Boston's going to get physically beaten. Unless they get some size, toughness and muscle, I'd bet some lesser talented but more physical teams might even beat them. Respect Stephens, but he coaches team ball and produces over achievers. Kyrie don't seem like his player as he's never shown to be concerned about the team game. He's not a great passer and Boston's going to have issues with the ball movement because of it. Cleveland's offense struggled with LeBron out and him as the facilitator. The ball even moved more with Delly in there. But we shall see.

Well, they do have Hayward who's a good passer.

Getting a healthy Bogut would help a lot too
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.

Return to Wiretap Discussion